Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Relocation Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bullitt

bullitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

I have a Genie and an HR24 with Whole Home DVR. We are having work done in my Family Room where Genie is now installed and will not have connection to the dish. Can the Genie be hooked up to the TV without a connection to the dish? Or can I hook up the Genie to TV that HR 24 is hooked up to?

"Rust Never Sleeps"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

The Genie will need to be hooked to the dish. You might want to move the Genie to the same room with the other TV and HR24 and using a SWM 2-way splitter, hook up the Genie to the dish that way. The Genie doesn't need to be hooked to a TV; you can still access the recorded shows on the Genie using the 24. (To schedule new shows you'll either need to hook the Genie up or use the iPad app for scheduling).

#3 OFFLINE   bullitt

bullitt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

The Genie will need to be hooked to the dish. You might want to move the Genie to the same room with the other TV and HR24 and using a SWM 2-way splitter, hook up the Genie to the dish that way. The Genie doesn't need to be hooked to a TV; you can still access the recorded shows on the Genie using the 24. (To schedule new shows you'll either need to hook the Genie up or use the iPad app for scheduling).

Will Radio Shack have a compatible splitter? Won't I be able to schedule with Genie if it's hooked up with splitter?

"Rust Never Sleeps"

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

No RadioShack doesn't carry the right splitter. Go to solid signal. They carry the proper splitters. Once you hook up the coax properly and then plug in the Genie to your other TV just like you do your HR 24 you can just switch inputs on the TV and access it like normal.

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:19 AM

Will Radio Shack have a compatible splitter? Won't I be able to schedule with Genie if it's hooked up with splitter?

I should have explained that better. You can't schedule the 44 through the 24. You either have to connect the 44 to your other TV or use an app. But you can view what is on the 44 once you get it hooked back up to the dish and your home MRV. But as inkahauts suggests, hook up the 44 to the same TV as your 24 and to see the 44's menu, just switch sources.

Where is your Internet and PI for your system and how is it tied in? If it is also in your family room, you'll need to move that also.

#6 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

If your power inserter is in the family room and will be unhooked, it would need to be relocated and the arrangement on the splitter reconfigured.

If you don't need access to the recordings on the 24, placing the 44 in the 24's location and unhooking the 24 is the simplest solution.

If you don't have time to wait for an approved splitter to arrive and need access to recordings on both receivers then a splitter rated to 2+Ghz from Radio Shack will work for getting satellite signal to both boxes. What might not work well is the sharing of recordings between boxes. Just change the input of the TV to the 24 to watch a recording on the 24.

If the 24 is in IR mode, you may wish to change it to a different code set, like receiver 2.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#7 OFFLINE   bullitt

bullitt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the reply, my modem and router will not be affected by the work it's in my office. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention Power Inserter. Will HR 44 still have 5 functional tuners when plugged into HR24 Coax?

"Rust Never Sleeps"

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, my modem and router will not be affected by the work it's in my office. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention Power Inserter. Will HR 44 still have 5 functional tuners when plugged into HR24 Coax?

Power Inserter is a black box someplace that plugs into AC power and has two coax connectors on it. One of the connectors is connected toward the dish, the other is connected toward the receiver. It can be local or away from any of the receivers, and it can be before or after a splitter (but if after it must be connected to the first splitter port). 

The HR44 will have 5 tuners available regardless of where you plug it in (in your particular installation).

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

One question that nobody has asked, but may be important is "how many receivers in total do you have in your house?  If it's more than the HR44 and HR24, how many additional receivers are DVR's?  With the HR44 and HR24, you are using 7 tuners and all answers that have been given apply.  If you have more than 8 tuners in your house, just moving the HR44 to the HR24 location may not be as easy as what has been implied here.

#10 OFFLINE   bullitt

bullitt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

One question that nobody has asked, but may be important is "how many receivers in total do you have in your house?  If it's more than the HR44 and HR24, how many additional receivers are DVR's?  With the HR44 and HR24, you are using 7 tuners and all answers that have been given apply.  If you have more than 8 tuners in your house, just moving the HR44 to the HR24 location may not be as easy as what has been implied here.

Only those 2, thanks. I may just leave the HR44 in Family room connected but out of way if I can. Otherwise I'll swap it for HR24, do I have to let DTV know I'm swapping boxes temporarily?

"Rust Never Sleeps"

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

Only those 2, thanks. I may just leave the HR44 in Family room connected but out of way if I can. Otherwise I'll swap it for HR24, do I have to let DTV know I'm swapping boxes temporarily?

No. If it was anything more than 'temporarily', I might log into my online account and change the names so if there was an issue and I had to talk with a CSR, we'd both be talking about the same equipment (but with two different type receivers and they always verify the access card, that wouldn't be an issue).

#12 OFFLINE   bullitt

bullitt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

No. If it was anything more than 'temporarily', I might log into my online account and change the names so if there was an issue and I had to talk with a CSR, we'd both be talking about the same equipment (but with two different type receivers and they always verify the access card, that wouldn't be an issue).

Thanks again

"Rust Never Sleeps"

spam firewall