Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Scared to Pull The Trigger on HR-44

Best Answer TheKnobber , 27 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

you should have done that a few post ago....

No, you still don't get it. You are not the final word in life on what is important and what is not. Sorry.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TheKnobber

TheKnobber

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

Need some advice from you guys. My HR-24 is getting long in the tooth, and I'm guessing it won't last more than six more months. I would love to get the HR-44 but frankly am pretty concerned with stability and issues after following all the threads on here for the last year.

My HR-24 is rock solid and has never missed a recording or had any problems of any kind in years. Scared to give up that level of reliablity.

What do you folks who have an HR-44 think?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

I've had my HR44 for about 6 months. No issues at all.

Only complaint my wife sometimes has is the remote -- the new C71 is a bit different and not universally loved. Especially with four other boxes in the house using the older style DirecTV remote.

We have an AN-21 hooked up to the 44 for OTA, but it is our fall-back for watching when the weather gets bad. No issues other than the database they use to determine local channels. I was looking forward to an OTA scanning HR44, but that was removed before I received my 44.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

Need some advice from you guys. My HR-24 is getting long in the tooth, and I'm guessing it won't last more than six more months. I would love to get the HR-44 but frankly am pretty concerned with stability and issues after following all the threads on here for the last year.

My HR-24 is rock solid and has never missed a recording or had any problems of any kind in years. Scared to give up that level of reliablity.

Make the change. You'll be upset you didn't do it earlier. Mine is more rocksolid that my hr 24 was. And my HR 24 was great.

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

I have a HR24-500 in our Family Room and a HR44-200 in our Home Theater Room. If given the choice of keeping one and forfeiting the other I would choose the Genie. It's speed and features far outweigh the issues associated with it. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

Make the change. I have the HR34 and other than a couple of glitches have been extremely happy with it. Keep in mind that people that are upset about something are much more likely to post in a public forum than those that are totally satisfied. That's just human nature.

#6 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:46 AM

MY 44 has been rock solid.  If your 24 has never given you any problems what makes you think it's going to fail in six months?

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

Make the change. You'll be upset you didn't do it earlier. Mine is more rocksolid that my hr 24 was. And my HR 24 was great.

Ditto.

The HR44 is the best HD DVR DirecTV has offered to date.

It's that simple.

• Laxguy likes this
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

Make the change. I have the HR34 and other than a couple of glitches have been extremely happy with it. Keep in mind that people that are upset about something are much more likely to post in a public forum than those that are totally satisfied. That's just human nature.

Very true.

Besides for the "regulars" on this forums, most post about the HR44 are negative since they come here seeking advice when having issues.  Those that are happy with them, are enjoying their TV watching courtesy of their HR44

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 ONLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,462 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

Very much in agreement with all the above. Get the HR44, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice it is. The HR44 also works in IR only with the "old" remotes, as well as the new RC-71 in RF or IR mode at the same time!
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#10 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

I've had the 44 for a couple of months and I don't even notice any difference except that I don't have to worry about how many recordings I set up.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

I've had the 44 for a couple of months and I don't even notice any difference except that I don't have to worry about how many recordings I set up.

Perhaps PIP might remind you that you are not using an HR24... :rolling:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

Geez, what do you say about HR20's and HR22's?

#13 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

I too have had my HR44 for a couple of months.  It works and as far as I can tell it works well.  That's what I want and expect from any piece of equipment....kind of a "do your job and stay out of my way" approach.  If I have to adjust, tweak, fix, realign, or otherwise fuss with a piece of equipment then I consider it a pain in the backside and it's a problem.  My HR44 is none of that. 

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

As a die-hard switcher that has had the HR20, 21 and 24-500, I can tell you that since coming back to D* a week ago that the HR44 is the very best and fastest HDDVR they've ever had.  And I really liked the HR24s when I had them.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#15 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

LOL, still haven't jumped myself.  Have quite a backlog of calls from customers, and talking a day off to work on my stuff is at the bottom of the list.

And I am a little scared of overhauling the equipment rack . . . .

#16 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

The only thing you might not like about the HR44 (or HR34) is that it does not live buffer when in standby. That is something I truly miss, but other than that the 44 is rock solid and a delight to use. You will not regret making the change.

#17 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Unless you're going to use an AM21/AM21N to record OTA channels, you should be just fine. There is a bug a number of folks have noted where some stations do not have a complete recording when doing OTA. For me it's our local FOX, local and syndicated programming is fine but if it's a Fox network show and it's longer then a half hour you're almost guarenteed that you'll get a keep/delete message at around the 45 minute mark.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#18 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

Go with the HR44. Keep in mind, with any given new firmware release even your stable HR24 could start glitching. Having worked with these boxes since 2007, it is apparent that the stability and performance of all of them change over time. none of them are perfect. I just upgraded to an HR44 and two HR24's. They are quite nice. They are NOT perfect. I have had to restart my 44 twice in the last week because its reponse to remote commands slowed to a crawl or stopped entirely. It acted as if the machine had gone into a loop and refused to ack, much less respond to commands.

That being said, I like the HR44 (and 24 for that matter) quite a bit and the glitches I've seen so far are typical and completely consistent with everything I've seen since 2007. These new boxes are quite a bit faster and quite a bit less "klunky" than the HR20/21/23 series. So far I have not lost any recordings (and I'm doing a ton)

The one thing you have to make peace with is that things are going to go wrong now and then. I get occasional drops in the audio. This problem has been around (off and on) over 5 years on every box I've used. It has never been completely cured. I've observed it on both the new HR44 and HR24. 

None of these little things would deter me or make me regret the upgrade we did two weeks ago to get these new boxes. It's all part of the game. When it gets really bad, it can be annoying, but getting a different box won't solve the problems I'm referring to. They are developmental issues and have been with us since the HR20-700 first came out. They aren't going away, so don't let that stop you from getting the 44....it's a fine unit and you will love its speed and 5 tuners, not to mention storage space.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

I'm still trying to process "is rock solid" and "guessing it won't last more than 6 months".

#20 OFFLINE   TheKnobber

TheKnobber

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Wow, pretty impressed with the overwhelming positive responses on th HR-44. Thanks!

I was expecting more of a mixed bag based on all the issues threads. 

Based on this feedback, I think I will go ahead and pull the trigger.

One more question for the board: Will I be able to keep my HR-24 until I am done watching the recorded shows once I get the HR-44? I have about 20-30 recordings I need to watch on the current unit before I would want to give it up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...