Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR44-200 I/R issues in home theater system

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Recently installed an HR44-200 in a home theater system.  Equipment in a remote closet.  Harmony I/R univeral remote.  Plasma-safe I/R receiver on television end.  ALL EQUIPMENT respsonds perfectly thru I/R repeater system except Genie.  Very intermittent operation.  Went back and forth between Bufalo and Speakercraft I/R systems, changed emitters and blasters, changed location and distance of emitters and blasters, put blue tape over Genie's I/R receiver, no change in performace.  Harmony remote aimed directly at Genie works fine no problem - it seems like the HR44-200 has issues with working on an I/R repeater system (like some PACE manufactured cable boxes, but using Pace's own extender and taping the front panel bypasses this issue)...  the Genie does not allow for an I/R extender.  I cant possibly be the only person who has been in this siuation?  the people at Perfect-10 suggest using a directv remote in RF (HAHA!  not!  we are using a $300 remote that works in EVERY other installation) and my Directv people don't know what I am talking about.  I am an LSP and have been in this business since 1987 so I think I have tried just about everything, but I am open to suggestions!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

Have you tried adjusting the repeats setting for the Genie on the Harmony remote through the Harmony software?  Inter key and inter device delays?

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#3 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

I don't have any advice, but do have the same problem: Harmony One remote with a HR44-500 in a remote closet. My TiVo Roamio Pro, right next to the Genie, responds every time. The Genie is very hit or miss. Frustrating as hell.

Kevin

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Have you tried adjusting the repeats setting for the Genie on the Harmony remote through the Harmony software?  Inter key and inter device delays?

I haven't done that, but the three HR20s the HR44 replaced worked perfectly with the same setup.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Does your remote do IP control?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

Yes, I have normally been able to set all my Harmony remotes to 0 repeats when controlling any of my DirecTV DVRs directly through IR.  However in my parents basement I am using an IR repeater and have had issues with that H21 not recognizing all my IR commands.  Sometimes it will recognize them, sometimes it won't and I have to hit the same button multiple times before it works, and then all the sudden sometimes it will work once, or maybe more times than I want it too.  I'm assuming this is an issue with the repeats setting and 0 repeats not working very well through an IR repeater.  I haven't had a chance to change the settings on that remote yet though (my laptop running the Harmony software was down last time I was there and noticed the issue) so I can't guarantee that it will fix the problem.  It would be my first thing to try though.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   davido

davido

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

I use an HR34, and it needed a dual frequency IR repeater system. I'm using a Sewell BlastIR.

HR20-700, HR24-500. Slimline SL3 SWM dish. DECA networking.

#8 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

i am at the factory standards of 100ms for inter-key, and 500ms for inter-device.   i have never had to adjust these for other D* receivers, but have had to lengthen the time in the past for some motorola cable boxes.   are you suggesting to lengthen these as well, or zero'ing them out as i saw a few posts up?  i don't have internet at the site, so i am making any changes here in the office and then "hoping"...  thanks...

#9 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

I use an HR34, and it needed a dual frequency IR repeater system. I'm using a Sewell BlastIR.

i just got off the phone with an engineer at buffalo electronics.  it seems everything but the really cheap stuff is "dual frequency", and he verified that the amplified block i am using will handle all i/r frequencies.  he is leaning towards noise being picked up by the receiver, even tho only one device is being affected.  oh boy, this is going to be fun to figure out!

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

The delays you have are most likely ok. I actually usually set those to 0 myself to get the remotes to respond quicker, until you get this figured out though I definitely wouldn't shorten them. You could try lengthening them though.

I'm still guessing it is the repeats setting though. That setting is a bit tougher to get to, and I think it might be different depending on the software you are using to do the programming. If I remember correctly, on the stand alone software you would go to your devices, and then click troubleshoot for your directv genie device. Then you pick the option that is something like "the device responds to commands too many times, or not at all" or something similar to that. That should take you to a page where you can adjust the repeats from anywhere between 0 and 5 I think. I would start off by setting the repeats to 5 and trying that, and then lowering it down from there if you need to.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I don't have access to the software right now.
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

It appears that the receiver (remote eye) MAY have been picking up noise!   it is unknown if it was from a  CFL in the room or placement on the television (we moved it from the top corner to bottom corner of the panel)...  haven't heard anything from the end user yet.  i hate how a 10 thousand dollar system can be foiled by a 35 dollar part!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...