Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CCS versus SCC for non SWIM setup

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

For all intents and purposes, CC is primarily for powering the LNB. Everything else, including the interior runs to each room, if each cable is CCS, is this still DTV compliant ?

I ask because a good friend of mine is having a fairly extensive new home build....and I was onsite looking at stuff and noticed all the homeruns is CCS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

In a new home there's no reason to run anything other than cc. But if it's already done.... Cc from the dish to the central spot and assume the central spot has power. And four lines minimum to dish id do five for antenna to personally.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

For all intents and purposes, CC is primarily for powering the LNB. Everything else, including the interior runs to each room, if each cable is CCS, is this still DTV compliant ?

That would be no.  but it does not mean that to won't work... DirecTV  only approves CC to used on their system

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Just so I'm clear, CC for ALL endpoints is their policy or are we talking about JUST to power the LNB.

While we're discussing, just for my reference, anybody know Fios policy...

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

CC for everything if they are installing is the policy.

now, as to what works and what doesn't there is a lot of variables.  If the power adapter isn't far from the lnb, then honestly ccs would likely work for everything.

#6 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Thx.  Just threw me off by the Lack Of - CC and seeing CCS. 

Not including install costs,  the HO has spent 700K just on windows alone.....

The person running the wires just to save 50-75 a spool on the CCS. It's too late now. All the runs are done. Walls are still open, but all low voltage has been run

Edited by chefwong, 17 January 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

as inky mentioned on the second post, if the cable is being installed today, there is no reason whatsoever not to install CC, they prove difference is not that much.  This is why DirecTV only uses CC, because they are installing new cabling 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

Well, Id have them run one additional cc run to every spot.  You cant have to much cable anyway.  especially considering what the house will cost.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

I think it would be best to not use "CC" for solid copper core, since copper clad steel also has "CC" in it.

For those not "in the know", SCC is what DirecTV approves and CCS isn't.

A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

Yes true.

#11 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

just for interest, why is this a non-SWM install??  If there are more than eight tuners, then you would use an SWM16 (or multiple SWM16s) and so the runs to the receivers are still going to be SWM.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

I think it would be best to not use "CC" for solid copper core, since copper clad steel also has "CC" in it.

For those not "in the know", SCC is what DirecTV approves and CCS isn't.

Since the TS started with "CC" I did nor want to confuse him.  But you are right on the acronyms

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

just for interest, why is this a non-SWM install?? 

I think he was just comparing the use of CCS vs SCC in both DirecTV's system. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

He was concerned about cable runs inside the home. Those will be swm so ccs is fine.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

He was concerned about cable runs inside the home. Those will be swm so ccs is fine.

That is correct, but the real point was/is that SCC should be used in new construction 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Almost all new homes use CCS RG6, unless the purchaser a) is involved early enough B) is planning to use DirecTV and c) understands SCC would be a better choice. When I had my home built, the guy doing the low-voltage stuff said I was the first person he could remember asking for SCC.

#17 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:36 AM

Almost all new homes use CCS RG6, unless the purchaser a) is involved early enough B) is planning to use DirecTV and c) understands SCC would be a better choice. When I had my home built, the guy doing the low-voltage stuff said I was the first person he could remember asking for SCC.

What do you mean "understands SCC would be a better choice"? With SWM there's ZERO difference. If I was building a new house today, I wouldn't bother with SCC. What's the point?

I certainly won't criticize those who choose to pay a few bucks extra to do SCC 'just in case', but calling it a "better choice" is going a bit far. That's like claiming that buying cable swept to 4.5 GHz is a "better choice" because hey you never know if some provider might start using much higher frequencies than the range they currently are...

Back when receivers were providing power to unpowered multiswitches like the WB68 that were using that power to provide power to the LNB, with a long run and/or a receiver with a power supply that was starting to go out, it could be a problem. That type of install is in the past now.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#18 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 941 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

Thx.  Just threw me off by the Lack Of - CC and seeing CCS. 

Not including install costs,  the HO has spent 700K just on windows alone.....

The person running the wires just to save 50-75 a spool on the CCS. It's too late now. All the runs are done. Walls are still open, but all low voltage has been run

Holy crap! He must have spent $10 million over all! 

#19 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

What do you mean "understands SCC would be a better choice"? With SWM there's ZERO difference. If I was building a new house today, I wouldn't bother with SCC. What's the point?

I certainly won't criticize those who choose to pay a few bucks extra to do SCC 'just in case', but calling it a "better choice" is going a bit far. That's like claiming that buying cable swept to 4.5 GHz is a "better choice" because hey you never know if some provider might start using much higher frequencies than the range they currently are...

Back when receivers were providing power to unpowered multiswitches like the WB68 that were using that power to provide power to the LNB, with a long run and/or a receiver with a power supply that was starting to go out, it could be a problem. That type of install is in the past now.

Sorry, yes you are correct - but when I built my house, there was no SWM so SCC was indeed a better choice.

spam firewall