Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best OTA indoor aerial.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

What is the best indoor aerial to purchase to use with the DISH OTA module. I hooked any of my free coaxial cables hoping to scan n channels. None scanned in. I saw on the bottom of the screen the words Not Locked in the bottom left of the screen and he right bottom there s Signal Strength 0. No matter which coaxial wire I hooked up those two items never changed.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

There is no one size fits all answer when it comes to antennas, it's even more complicated for indoor antenns. There are way too many variables, your distance from the towers, if any of your locals broadcast in VHF, the terrain, any obstructions, where you intend to place the antenna, any electrical equipment between the antenna and the exterior walls that face the towers, your siding material, your roofing material, how many stories up, etc.

Go to a site like TVFool.com and input your exact address since the results you get can be very different from your next door neighboor so just providing a zip code or city won't be enough. If the bulk of your channels are listed as green you shouldn't have that much trouble. If they're yellow it will take some work with an amplified antenna and keeping it high on a shelf. You also need to pay attention to see if any of your locals are in the VHF band, unfortunately there's a lot of UHF only antennas being marketed as "HDTV Antennas", despite it being known that after the transition that nearly every market will have at least one station in the VHF band. If any of your locals are in the VHF band you would need a VHF/UHF combo antenna.

Edited by KyL416, 17 January 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,818 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

I love it when newbies ask this question ...

#1 - There is no such thing as a "best indoor OTA antenna" for all situations. Heck - an indoor antenna at my house will get you exactly - ZERO - broadcast stations, even though I'm only about 25 miles from most of my stations. House construction and location make a HUGE difference.

#2 - You can't even make that question about "best outdoor OTA antenna" - see #1...

#3 - and then he just has to spread it among multiple forums on a single site.. Once per website is enough - we WILL read it .

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Three other duplicate threads were deleted. Please don't start multiple threads with the exact same topic and content.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Not that important. I searched for the same item of the best indoor aerial and did not see any results. I promise not to ask anymore. I will read from now on. If there is no results for a search then I will conclude the information is not nesessary. Sorry.

#6 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

Buy one from a store with a good return policy.  If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, return it and get something else.  Trial and error may be the best way to find what works for you.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

good advise in the post#6; I did find same idea many many years ago ... you know, it's work ! :)

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

I carry a 4 foot piece of coax in the truck and it has the last foot stripped of insulation and ground shield.

If that works adequately in a given location I just leave it.  If it doesn't work at all, I assume no indoor antenna is going to be of much help.

I've also noted most people don't care for an indoor OTA if it is any where they can see it.

#9 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

When I replaced the last VHF/UHF antenna , I kept the UHF Yagi part and it is about 3-4 feet long. In a pinch, I can use that in the house laying on a chair. It will even get the weakest UHF translator. I have had the winds tear up the yagis here, so I do have a backup.

#10 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

The nearest store like WAL*MART is like 14 miles away long commute. I would have purchased an aerial by now if the distance was not that far.

#11 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,818 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

If you're 14 miles from Walmart - you probably need an outdoor antenna.

Check your address at www.tvfool.com for what your reception situation is.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

The best indoor antenna is a small outdoor antenna used indoors.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#13 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

That is what my thought is. Something simple to set up. I could put that behind my TV which will be a great hiding place. Do these have a coaxial wire hookup as which is the connection to the DISH OTA device?

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

some have, some not, then find a balun [300->75 Ohm transformer]

#15 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

Behind the TV is probably the WORST place to put an indoor antenna.

Unfortunately, for esthetics, it needs to be up near the ceiling out in the open - just think of it as abstract art.

If your stations are all UHF, something like a Silver Sensor is not too ugly, but may be hard to find these days, but if you have VHF stations, nothing that is "pretty" will likely be very good at capturing them since their wave length can be up to 32 inches for channel 7.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#16 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

(just waiting for someone to mention a Sterba curtain,  :eek2: )

#17 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Heading out Wednesday spot see what I can find.

#18 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

Look into the Mohu Leaf.  I was very impressed with the results I got with mine, but ultimately, it wasn't good enough and I had to go with an outdoor antenna.

#19 OFFLINE   l'Aucherie

l'Aucherie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Also the Mohu Sky HD which can be used indoors or outdoors with the latter giving the best results, but either configuration beats any alternatives that I have tried similarly configured.    The down side side is that the "Sky" is pricey at $100 plus. 

#20 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

I use a "Silver Sensor".  With any indoor antenna your best results come if you place the antenna near a window (without any metal screens) facing in the direction of the desired stations.  However that is not always possible.  In my case the Silver Sensor is aimed in the direction of the weakest, most distant station (57 miles).  I get this station due to two factors; 1.) the transmitter is on a high point and the signal is predicted to cover my area despite the distance. and 2.) I'm on very high ground in relation to the average terrain.  

The rest of my OTA stations are close, very close (I'm 1 mile south of the antenna farm) so off-axis reception works here (I would not recommend it at greater distances). 

I put the antenna on top of boxes to raise it to near my ceiling. Without the boxes I lose the distant station.  I used to have an outdoor antenna but my chimney needed to be rebuilt and I have not put it back up.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...