Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Attn Parents: Do not use Directv- Your kids could be held responsible

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jorjeen

jorjeen

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hello All,

I received DirecTv back in '05 when my daughter was 14 years old. We had the service for a couple years, and ultimately changed to a different company. She is now a college student & moved on her own last month. She called Direct a couple days ago to inquire about service. Because my daughter lived in my home & watched the programming, DirecTv is refusing her service, because I still have a balance. Now,mind you, my service was cancelled by me before she was even 18! They told her she received mail at that address at that time & was associated with me & ultimately watched television.

I always said, I would never use my child's name for anything that has to do with credit for fear something would happen and I would tarnish their credit. So it's hard for me to even begin to comprehend how a company can cause the child to suffer the repercussions. Beware Parents!  if you leave their company with a balance, it is your children who will ultimately be punished & have to do without!

Edited by jorjeen, 17 January 2014 - 04:37 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,831 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

Be aware... pay your debts.

• KyL416, RunnerFL and Slygrin like this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

She should email Ellen's office. That's a bit wrong if you ask me. How do they even know she got mail there?

#4 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,831 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

It's wrong - my first reply was a joke.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

She should email Ellen's office. That's a bit wrong if you ask me. How do they even know she got mail there?

Tough it's that kind of thing that sours someone on a company from the beginning, their next call to Dish. First impressions do make a difference, even for a company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Pay your bill, end of story. And that's not a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#7 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

You forgot the rest of the thread title....if their parents don't pay their debts.  Maybe if YOU paid your debt, your daughter could enjoy Directv.  This entire thread is pointless. 

Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#8 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,389 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

This thread is a little suspicious to me, because the OP made the same thread on the other site, with no response.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#9 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hello All,

I received DirecTv back in '05 when my daughter was 14 years old. We had the service for a couple years, and ultimately changed to a different company. She is now a college student & moved on her own last month. She called Direct a couple days ago to inquire about service. Because my daughter lived in my home & watched the programming, DirecTv is refusing her service, because I still have a balance. Now,mind you, my service was cancelled by me before she was even 18! They told her she received mail at that address at that time & was associated with me & ultimately watched television.

I always said, I would never use my child's name for anything that has to do with credit for fear something would happen and I would tarnish their credit. So it's hard for me to even begin to comprehend how a company can cause the child to suffer the repercussions. Beware Parents!  if you leave their company with a balance, it is your children who will ultimately be punished & have to do without!

Pay your balance and clear this up. It is YOUR responsibility to fix this problem that YOU created for your daughter.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

I am sorry but I have to disagree with anyone defending DirecTV on this.  A company has no right to go after a person for their parent's debts, especially as the person was a minor at the time the parents incurred the debt. This is wrong on so many levels I dont know what to say.

• JcT21, damondlt and bjdotson like this

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

Did she know her dad was a deadbeat?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

If what the TS said is true, then DirecTV seems to be doing something wrong.

But I suspect there is a lot more to this story that what we've been told.

• RunnerFL and Laxguy like this

#13 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

I am sorry but I have to disagree with anyone defending DirecTV on this.  A company has no right to go after a person for their parent's debts, especially as the person was a minor at the time the parents incurred the debt. This is wrong on so many levels I dont know what to say.

+1

Have your daughter contact ellen.filipiak@directv.com 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#14 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

whether or not this person paid their bills or not,  it is wrong for directv to punish the child for their parents actions.   i agree we all should pay our bills but sometimes circumstances arise and we all have difficult times.  however the child should not be denied service over this. it was not the childs fault or even in their name.  its wrong.  very wrong.   

my son is an authorized user on my visa card. he uses it for college expenses.  if i dont pay that bill,  citibank would not hold him responsible for that debt, because it wouldnt be right.    in my opinion,  directv has no right to hold a parents past bill against the child.

Edited by JcT21, 17 January 2014 - 06:53 PM.

Xtra + HD Extra Pack + Starz + Showtime
SiriusXM subscriber

#15 OFFLINE   Aridon

Aridon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Was she signing up from the same address you owed money from?

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Did she know her dad was a deadbeat?

While the majority of posters on this site are apparently male, the sex of the poster has not been revealed. This could be the mother complaining about the alleged refusal of service for her daughter.

And if the daughter's name is similar to the mother's I can see where DirecTV could be confused. Applications for credit usually ask for a person's recent previous addresses.

If there is any truth to the story at all. It is not a good idea to get too wound up by a poster's first and potentially only post. Perhaps jorjeen will provide more details.
  • carlsbad_bolt_fan likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

If what the TS said is true, then DirecTV seems to be doing something wrong.

But I suspect there is a lot more to this story that what we've been told.

Yeah, something seems strange here. It is my understanding that DirecTV determines eligibility based on the social security number and therefore credit history of the applicant.

Although if she was trying to obtain service by using the same address, then perhaps that could be the issue.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hello All,

This seems a little "fishy" to me.  you can't cancel a service if you have a balance due.  I have a feeling we are not getting the full story here

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

my son is an authorized user on my visa card. he uses it for college expenses. if i dont pay that bill, citibank would not hold him responsible for that debt, because it wouldnt be right. in my opinion, directv has no right to hold a parents past bill against the child.

But they're not holding her liable for her parents outstanding debt. They're just not extending her credit. As a college student, she probably doesn't have much of a credit history of her own yet. I can see Directv looking at family credit history when deciding whether to extend credit to someone without history of their own yet.

I would like to think that if my child were to try to sign up for Directv service without a credit history, they might say "he has no credit history. But his parents have been good customers for 17 years. So we'll take a chance."

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Edited by Bill Broderick, 17 January 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

While the majority of posters on this site are apparently male, the sex of the poster has not been revealed. This could be the mother complaining about the alleged refusal of service for her daughter.

And if the daughter's name is similar to the mother's I can see where DirecTV could be confused. Applications for credit usually ask for a person's recent previous addresses.

If there is any truth to the story at all. It is not a good idea to get too wound up by a poster's first and potentially only post. Perhaps jorjeen will provide more details.

Looking at jorjeen's profile, seems you're right.

spam firewall