Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What else do I need?

Deca HR24 Directv HD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   doc115

doc115

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

I am not a Techie so bare with me please. I have Directv, multiple basic receivers, and my main receiver is the HR24 HD receiver that I got last month and am trying to connect to the internet.  I do not have WHDVR.  I have a DIRECTV Cinema Connection Kit (DECABB1R0) with pwer cord and ethernet cable and nothing else.I am wondering what else I need in order to get hooked up to my network and where each piece is to be placed (connected to HR24, connected to router, Etc.). Any help will be greatly appreciated, and If I am in the wrong forum, please direct me to the right place and I will happily go there. 

Edited by doc115, 17 January 2014 - 06:38 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Please breakdown the model numbers of all your boxes. And tell us if you have one or two coax connected to each DVR?

With a better idea of your current setup, you'll get better replies from this group.

Edited by Drucifer, 17 January 2014 - 07:45 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   doc115

doc115

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have 2 - D11-100 receivers with one coax, 1 - R16-300 with one coax hookup, and the new HR24-500 with 2 coax hookups.  As I said, I am not looking to set up whole home DVR so the other receivers are probably irrelevant to my query.  My focus is one getting the network connection on to the HR24-500. I hope this helps. 

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

The DECA BB adapter you have is of no use to you since that only works in SWM.  you only option to connect to the internet are 1) connect the HR24 directly to your router using an ethernet cable, or using the DirecTV wireless DECA or a gaming adapter (aka ethernet bridge) for wireless connectivity 

If you connect directly with ethernet, you need to do a menu reset once the cable is connected at both ends to enable the ethernet jack which is disable by default 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   doc115

doc115

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

That's why I am asking "what else do I need" in order to use the DECA BB. Can I use the DECA BB if I get the SWM? and if so, where would I install the each unit? I would connect Ethernet directly to the router, but the receiver and router are in different rooms.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,079 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

If DirecTV sets up SWM, your D11s would need swapped out for D12s but since they aren't DVR's thats pretty painless.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

That's why I am asking "what else do I need" in order to use the DECA BB. Can I use the DECA BB if I get the SWM? and if so, where would I install the each unit? I would connect Ethernet directly to the router, but the receiver and router are in different rooms.

you are looking at this "backwards" it would be more work and more money to install the DECA BB then to just connect the  HR24 to your network as I mentioned earlier 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

You would be going to a lot more expense and hassle to convert to SWiM simply to make use of a BB DECA. The easy solution is as Peds advises, forget the BB DECA for now and get a wireless adapter or W-CCK for the HR24.

However briefly, if you insist on upgrading to SWiM anyway, the D11 receivers must go for D12s. A SWiM LNB must be installed at the dish. And then consult with a basic wiring diagram like the following;

Your BB DECA would be the "DECA" in the diagram and you would need a 1 x 8 splitter for your four receivers and an available port for the BB DECA.

working.jpg

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#9 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

Or one last option is to call DirecTV at 800-531-5000 and find out the cost for a tech to come out and set you up (and you may be eligible for equipment upgrades--doesn't hurt to ask). It could be as low as $49 (probably a bit more), but it all depends on account history. The better the history, the lower the expense. In the end, it could save time, money and frustration. Good luck!

-=K=-

#10 OFFLINE   doc115

doc115

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Got it! Thank you all for the input. Not sure what i'll do yet, but may go with wireless deca considering the distance from router to receiver makes using an Ethernet cable too intrusive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Deca, HR24, Directv, HD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...