Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Change zip code for RSNs

DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Newby here.

I am fairly tech savvy and can understand most discussions here and elsewhere, but I am having an issue with DTV regarding my zip code and getting what I believe I should be getting with regional sports networks without having to purchase the Sports Pack.

I live in South Carolina, but in reality I am further into North Carolina than some who actually live there - I am in that peninsula that sticks into south Charlotte. Because if my location the only RSN I get is SportsSouth, but if I live just two miles to the west or east I would get SS as well as MASN and FSN Cincy.

If I am correct, my dish is pointed the same as if it was two miles north, east and west so my question is, can I simply change my zip code on my receivers (two HD DVRs and one HD receiver) to get access to those RSNs?

I have an HD24 500 and HD24 100 and I cannot find where I can change zip code like I did with my old receiver(s) so I don't know if I can do this in any event. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
When nothing goes right, turn left.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

Just an FYI. I am not trying to get over on DTV. I happen to live in a zip code that prevents me from getting the same thing as people south of me but have a zip north if me. It is an odd situation.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

That won't work.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

Now that was helpful. I was hoping for a little more information, or alternatives. Thanks anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Now that was helpful. I was hoping for a little more information, or alternatives. Thanks anyway.

It's determined by your address with DirecTV and not your receiver zip code. The receiver zip is to help you aim it.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Thanks. The only reason I saw something on this board regarding zip codes and locals. Thought it was something I would explore with RSNs.

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

As noted before, the ease of receiving sports programming restricted to specific areas is inversely proportional to how badly you want to watch it.

:coffee

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Its based on your DMA determined by Nielsen......unless you physically move, you cant change it.

#9 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the input. Because I live so far into North Carolina without actually being in the state is one of those oddities I will have to deal with, I guess.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the input. Because I live so far into North Carolina without actually being in the state is one of those oddities I will have to deal with, I guess.

No matter how you spin it, you still live in South Carolina.  Thats like saying people that live in Maine actually live in Canada because they live so far north....

Edited by CCarncross, 18 January 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

On many levels ... If you call the state police who shows up? When you vote, does your vote count in South Carolina or North Carolina?

RSNs define their coverage areas ... the teams and the leagues define their blackout areas. They are probably not thinking of tiny peninsulas that protrude geographically into another area. They are looking at absolute boundries - in this case, a state line.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

What do cable companies at your place offer for rsns?

#13 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

What do cable companies at your place offer for rsns?

Cable companies in this area only offer about four general RSNs that are not city specific.

In response to all the comments about voting or police, etc. I ran into a quite different situation when I tried Time Warner for my cable. Because their main hub is in North Carolina, I was unable to use my Roku to watch Nationals or Orioles games. They were blacked out even though my address was still SC. I had to go back to my original ISP, a small company called Comporium, just to watch the games via the net.

The reason I brought this whole thing up is because it took me a month of Sundays to figure out who I could watch with specific providers. If I go to cable (TWC) I get MASN but not regional specific channels. I'm with DTV and I get RSNs but no MASN (for live games). It Is one of those peculiarities in this area. That is why I was hoping to, based on actual location as opposed to zip code, get MASN and FSN Cincy.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

The cable company coverage accuracy varies. As you noted, it depends more on where their wires run. Each system is separate so sometimes you find situations where people get channels or an IP address based on where the headend is instead of where the customer is.

Satellite companies work off of the actual location defined by a zip code. Your actual location is South Carolina.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

BTW Nielsen DMAs have nothing to do with it.  And, no, the zip code in the receiver being changed doesn't have any thing to do with it.

South Carolina is claimed as home market by the Braves only. The part of North Carolina you are contrasting it with is claimed by four teams Reds, Braves, Nationals, and Orioles.  Just the way it is.

And not really unusual either.  Every map has a border, you just happen to live near one.

#16 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Thanks everyone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DirecTV

spam firewall