Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Paramount ceases 35mm distribution

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Wolf of Wall Street was the first Paramount movie to be distributed only via digital, they will no longer distribute 35mm.

According to the article, 8% of theaters do not have the equipment. I know our local drive in made the upgrade a year or two ago.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

From Los Angeles Times: End of film: Paramount first studio to stop distributing film prints

From what I gathered in the article, by switching to digital distribution, the cost of distributing a film print decreases from $2,000 per print to $100 per print. The big catch: $60,000 per projector, which some small theaters can't afford. I also wonder if these projectors are also capable of regular video signal, which would be significant in using the theater for other uses.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

Whoops, I forgot to include the link :)

#4 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 352 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Maybe a few more theaters will do this also, and that will force my local theater to upgrade.  We got a new theater built back in the mid 90's and I think some of the screens are using original equipment, horrible noise and lines in the picture.  I went to Traverse City and tried an all digital theater, wow what a difference both in picture and in sound.

HR44-700, HR22-700, HR21-200, SWM16

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Sorry but IMHO it's just the cost of doing business, either spend the $'s to upgrade or die.

The Alamo Drafthouse closest to us is only a couple years old and has Sony 4K systems and they look great. Saw the latest Hobit movie there in 3D High Frame Rate and it looked very good. Even just plain old 2D movies are great, no film scratches, reel changes, etc, just a crisp clean picture.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

There pretty much is no other choice. A theater will either have to make the investment, or have a dwindling option in movies. Even the second run theaters will need to. Paramount may be the first, but now that they did it, others will follow.

Dude111 won't be happy (he prefers VHS over blueray apparently), but it is what it is. The true projectionists will die out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

The studios floated loans for theaters to convert so they could save so much money going all digital.  That happened years ago.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

The theaters this will really hurt are the second run $2 houses...

#9 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

Dude111 won't be happy (he prefers VHS over bluray apparently)

Thank you for being honest!!!

I love VHS,i love analogue media!!!

NOTHING BETTER!!

Edited by Dude111, 19 January 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Some analog is better than some digital, for sure. But good digital beats good analog in several ways. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Digital is far better for movie theaters for all sorts of reason, including better picture quality overall. Film degrades so fast, digital will always be good through out a run.

And VHS will never be better than digital in any way shape or form ever. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...