Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NiMH battery capacity

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,832 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

I have some old Blonder Tongue BSTA spectrum analyzers that have NiCad battery packs consisting of ten 2200mAh cells plus an on-board charger.  I tested three of those packs and get about one hour of use out of each of them with the screen set at full brightness.  

I figured that since they were a decade old, their capacity might have declined a little, so I bought ten 2700mAh NiMH cells from batteriesplus and soldered them into a pack, but am sad to observe that that pack runs my meter for about the same duration as the old ones.

More recently, I bought some 6000mAh sub C cells from China and I just tested those today, yet in spite of them claiming to have more than twice the charge capacity of my other NiCads and NiMH cells, they, too, only sustained the meter for about an hour.   They can be had from China for about $16 for ten cells with tabs, or you can get them shipped from the USA for about $25. http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c6f052e1a .  Needless to say, I am very disappointed in them

Three weeks ago, I ordered ten 9500mAh C cells for $25 and ten 11000mAh D cells for $33 from China, without tabs, which is a minor nuisance to deal with because it is difficult to solder the negative wires as the mass of the cell sinks away the heat.  I own a small arc welder that I have never used, so it looks like attaching tabs to these will be one of my first projects.

Yesterday, the 11000mAh D cells arrived but curiously the C cells did not, even though the delivery notice said they did.  The D cells don't fit into the battery pack compartment, but I'd be willing to make them fit if they got me appreciably more running time.  I have more faith in them than in the 6000mAh I tried because I am confident that "bigger is better".  The D cells each weigh twice as much as the sub C cells.

Edited by AntAltMike, 18 January 2014 - 05:11 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

I'm did professional work for testing Li-Ion batteries  and keep doing same type of tests for all batteries what coming into my hands (yes, taking in account its chemistry, capacity, build, etc)

Recently, buying from eBay/China "double/triple" capacity batteries for cellphones, I found all of them had fake the mAh values. :( You're getting same capacity as original batteries.

Don't TRUST the numbers !

Edited by P Smith, 18 January 2014 - 09:02 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...