Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NFL reportedly considering proposal to eliminate extra points

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

From Fox News:

The NFL is reportedly considering abolishing the extra point after touchdowns as part of its scoring system. 

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told the NFL Network on Monday that the league's Competition Committee is looking at proposals that would end extra point kicks after touchdowns in favor of a revised scoring system.  

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell told the network. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (attempts). So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play." 

"There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about," Goodell added. "It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

As someone who does not consider himself to a fan or has even watched a complete football games in years, I wouldn't mind seeing them tweak the extra point. I've always thought of it as being kind of a waste.  However, I would not object if they wanted to keep the extra point but move the snap back to the 20 yard line.  

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

2 things I have thought about is to narrow the goal post openings to make it harder to get the ball thru.

The second thing is to move the kickoff position back. Most of these guys are kicking the ball over the whole end zone and eliminates the possible run back.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

2 things I have thought about is to narrow the goal post openings to make it harder to get the ball thru.

The second thing is to move the kickoff position back. Most of these guys are kicking the ball over the whole end zone and eliminates the possible run back.

I like your idea for modifying the kick off but I would take it a step further

Move the kick off back 10 yards.

If the ball is downed inside the end zone, ball comes out to the 10.  This will encourage the receiving team to run the ball a little more.

If the ball is kicked over the of the end zone with no possibility of a run back, ball comes out the 30.

• Laxguy likes this

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

I like your idea for modifying the kick off but I would take it a step further

Move the kick off back 10 yards.

If the ball is downed inside the end zone, ball comes out to the 10.  This will encourage the receiving tram to run the ball a little more.

If the ball is kicked over the of the end zone with no possibility of a run back, ball comes out the 30.

I like that.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

I like the idea about the extra point and think the scenario given as an example would work perfect....

As for the kick off, I believe they only recently made the changes by moving the kick off up 5 yards to DISCOURAGE kick off returns due to injuries from the kicking team running full speed and taking out players....but fluffybears idea is a good one IMO!

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#7 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

As for the kick off, I believe they only recently made the changes by moving the kick off up 5 yards to DISCOURAGE kick off returns due to injuries from the kicking team running full speed and taking out players....

I'm surprised the NFL didn't do away with the kick off all together  & just place the ball on the 20 yard line. 

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

They have talked about wanting to get rid of the kickoff...  so I doubt they are considering changes to the kickoff that would enable more run-backs.  I like kick-off returns, but they don't ask me :)

As for extra points...  I would like a couple of things...  I would like to see the extra point try from farther back... and I would also like to see an adoption of the college rule where an interception/fumble/kick-block on an extra point/2-pt conversion can be ran back by the defense for 2 points.  This adds an extra incentive for the defense to try harder to block it.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Ditching the PAT is a good idea, and kick-offs have lost their excitement as most balls sail into the end zone and there's no attempt. I FF as soon as the TD is scored, to past the kickoff to the first series of downs. Saves about five minutes. If the first series starts way up field or there's been a score, I'll RW and watch that.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

I did like one idea that was floated...

7 points for a touchdown... BUT you have the choice of trying for an extra point via run/pass... IF you get it, then you have 8 points... but IF you miss, you go back to just 6 points.

So... it isn't just the "do I want 1 or 2" point decision... it becomes a "do I want another point vs risking losing a point"...  It adds a little to the decision.

Although... all thoughts on this matter being equal...  this is one of the parts of the game I am the least worried about.

I think the review process needs to be improved.  I would like to see what college does, in terms of reviewing all plays in the booth and only buzzing down to the field when they see something screwy... no more challenges or "non-reviewable" plays.

I was rooting for Seattle this weekend, but I really hated SanFran getting robbed on that fumble/takeaway where the player not only made a great play but was severely injured in the process and yet still hangs onto the ball for his team.  He could potentially have a career ending injury and his team didn't even get the benefit of the great play he made.  I was happy for the cartoon fumble by Seattle on the very next play.

But I'm way off topic here now...  I just think extra points can be improved, but I would improve some other areas first.

#11 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Think they should fix OT first, their last attempt to modify it was pretty lame. There should never ever, ever, ever be any possible way that a game ends in a tie. Fix that first.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#12 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

I did like one idea that was floated...

7 points for a touchdown... BUT you have the choice of trying for an extra point via run/pass... IF you get it, then you have 8 points... but IF you miss, you go back to just 6 points.

So... it isn't just the "do I want 1 or 2" point decision... it becomes a "do I want another point vs risking losing a point"...  It adds a little to the decision.

Keep it at 6 for the TD and make the 2 point conversion the standard PAT 

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

I enjoy the fake PATs at the NCAA and lower levels.

Narrowing the gap between the posts sounds interesting but I think I could get more behind something where you have to put the ball through a rectangular opening as in soccer, hockey and water polo. They could have a bar or pipe that is raised up (perhaps in conjunction with the safety net) to provide an upper boundary for the PAT and dropped down to (or even into) the bar for regular play (so as not to block fan views and field goals).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Think they should fix OT first, their last attempt to modify it was pretty lame. There should never ever, ever, ever be any possible way that a game ends in a tie. Fix that first.

Changes the subject sort of, but the same is true for me and boxing. Somebody deserves somehow to win.

They could use the most yards gained, passes completed, etc. to choose a winner if it was already a tie.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Changes the subject sort of, but the same is true for me and boxing. Somebody deserves somehow to win.
They could use the most yards gained, passes completed, etc. to choose a winner if it was already a tie.

If you don't really win, why should someone hand you a win?

I'd rather reward efficiency than doing the most of something. Reward the team with the lesser time of possession or fewer penalties (assuming they can find better officials than they seem to have now). The goal needs to be to foster the kind of play that the fans want to watch while maintaining safety for all.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

I enjoy the fake PATs at the NCAA and lower levels.

Narrowing the gap between the posts sounds interesting but I think I could get more behind something where you have to put the ball through a rectangular opening as in soccer, hockey and water polo. They could have a bar or pipe that is raised up (perhaps in conjunction with the safety net) to provide an upper boundary for the PAT and dropped down to (or even into) the bar for regular play (so as not to block fan views and field goals).

And have a scantily clad cheerleader poised over a tank of water....

#17 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

And have a scantily clad cheerleader poised over a tank of water....

That might actually get me back to watching football again!

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Another thought... not just limited to extra points, but extend to field goals too.

How about borrow a play from basketball and give different points depending on where on the field you kick?

So for a field goal... anything from inside the 20 gives only 1 point...  anything from 30-20 gives 2 points, 40-30 gives 3 points, 50-40 gives 4 points...  Those are not set in stone, but the idea is, the longer you kick the more points you get if you make it.

A similar approach could be taken for extra points... You determine where you want to place the ball for the try and you gets points accordingly... so if you have a good kicker, you can go for more points.

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Another thought... not just limited to extra points, but extend to field goals too.

How about borrow a play from basketball and give different points depending on where on the field you kick?

So for a field goal... anything from inside the 20 gives only 1 point... anything from 30-20 gives 2 points, 40-30 gives 3 points, 50-40 gives 4 points... Those are not set in stone, but the idea is, the longer you kick the more points you get if you make it.

A similar approach could be taken for extra points... You determine where you want to place the ball for the try and you gets points accordingly... so if you have a good kicker, you can go for more points.

I love this concept. Although I'd say no field goal at all if you under the 10 yard line.

And college has the best over time setup by far.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

I don't think enough NFL or college coaches could figure out the odds and payoffs without delaying the game....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...