Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NFL reportedly considering proposal to eliminate extra points

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,116 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Another change I would not mind seeing is the elimination of running out the clock.  Once the 2 minute warning, the play clock continues but the actual clock does not begin until the ball is snapped and stops at the end of the play. This would eliminate this going down on one knee and running out the clock & might possibly even add a little drama to the end of a game. 

• Laxguy likes this

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Accept that it kills off the urgency of trying to score real fast if your behind.

#23 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Personally I would like to see the college rule about clock stopping while they move the chains on a first down.  There is a lot of time wasted while the officials slowpoke the spotting of the ball on long plays... and they only have a sense of urgency in the final few minutes of a game but have already wasted lots of precious seconds the rest of the game.

I'm fine with a play clock to force the action... but it isn't fair for the game clock to be ticking down when the official isn't spotting the ball as ready for play.

• Laxguy likes this

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

Personally I would like to see the college rule about clock stopping while they move the chains on a first down. There is a lot of time wasted while the officials slowpoke the spotting of the ball on long plays... and they only have a sense of urgency in the final few minutes of a game but have already wasted lots of precious seconds the rest of the game.

I'm fine with a play clock to force the action... but it isn't fair for the game clock to be ticking down when the official isn't spotting the ball as ready for play.

I can agree with that. I also like college it much better.

#25 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

I like that idea.  Players and teams should not suffer because the officials need time.  

#26 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

Accept that it kills off the urgency of trying to score real fast if your behind.

that's a small price to pay for keeping the action moving for the ENTIRE game...

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

You want to stop the clock more so how would that keep the game flowing more? Itd lengthen the entire game by an hour.

#28 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

I love this concept. Although I'd say no field goal at all if you under the 10 yard line.

And college has the best over time setup by far.

If you like the college football OT rules, then the whole game should be played like that. Why not give each team nine possesions from the 25 yd and you could play the game like innings in baseball, with no time clock. I hate the college OT rules for the fact is it is a whole different game. Play OT the same way as the game itself is played. Kickoff and the team that plays the best on off. or def. will win. Changing the way the game is played is really stupid IMO.

#29 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

So what just keep playing quarter after quarter like basketball till someone is ahead?

It doesn't change the game. It says you have no clock anymore. And it's one possession for each and whoever is ahead at the end after each have had a possession wins. It just cuts down on possessions big time.

#30 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

So what just keep playing quarter after quarter like basketball till someone is ahead?

It doesn't change the game. It says you have no clock anymore. And it's one possession for each and whoever is ahead at the end after each have had a possession wins. It just cuts down on possessions big time.

Your first sentence contradicts your second sentence and your whole idea. So what just keep playing possesion after possesion till someone is ahead. That's not football. No punting, you are already in fg range, no urgency by the offense(except the playclock). Totally different than the way a normal game is played. Another really hokey rule is after so many possesions where the game is still tied you have to go for 2 pts after a touchdown. To me that is a retarded way to have OT. Kick it off and play a normal game situation until one team wins. Maybe they should go to a free throw shoot out for basketball, in an OT situation. They play the game the same way in OT.

#31 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,577 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

Hockey certainly doesn't. European football has no tie breaker. Baseball just goes on in the same mode until a full inning ends with someone ahead. Quite a variety! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Your first sentence contradicts your second sentence and your whole idea. So what just keep playing possesion after possesion till someone is ahead. That's not football. No punting, you are already in fg range, no urgency by the offense(except the playclock). Totally different than the way a normal game is played. Another really hokey rule is after so many possesions where the game is still tied you have to go for 2 pts after a touchdown. To me that is a retarded way to have OT. Kick it off and play a normal game situation until one team wins. Maybe they should go to a free throw shoot out for basketball, in an OT situation. They play the game the same way in OT.

No it really doesn't. Something like basketball or hockey are so different in the way they are played. Simply playing another five minutes makes a huge difference. Not the same in football. Football is more about possessions. You get one passion starting from a position close enough you should be able to score no matter what.

Maybe they should go to field goals at the end of 15 min, kind of like a shoot out. Each team gets 2 chances at a certain distance starting at the 30 yard line. After each team gets two shots at it, they have to move back another five yards till one makes it and one misses it.

Or each team gets four plays to score from the 20 yard line. No first downs at all.

Ot in hockey is shorter than a regular period and its one man less. It works well. You don't need to use identical rules for ot. It means both teams have already determined they are in a tie playing it the normal way, so they need to have a tweak to the rules to see who can adjust best for football.

#33 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

No it really doesn't. Something like basketball or hockey are so different in the way they are played. Simply playing another five minutes makes a huge difference. Not the same in football. Football is more about possessions. You get one passion starting from a position close enough you should be able to score no matter what.

Maybe they should go to field goals at the end of 15 min, kind of like a shoot out. Each team gets 2 chances at a certain distance starting at the 30 yard line. After each team gets two shots at it, they have to move back another five yards till one makes it and one misses it.

Or each team gets four plays to score from the 20 yard line. No first downs at all.

Ot in hockey is shorter than a regular period and its one man less. It works well. You don't need to use identical rules for ot. It means both teams have already determined they are in a tie playing it the normal way, so they need to have a tweak to the rules to see who can adjust best for football.

OT in hockey is handled the way it is because of the time factor invovled in the regular season. In the Stanley Cup Playoffs(when it really matters the most) they play regular hockey until they have a winner. I respect your opinions on OT and its just my opinion that the way the NFL plays OT is more correct than the college way. I'm sure the NCAA has their reasons for conducting OT the way they do and that's perfectly fine for me. Different strokes for different folks. That makes things more fun. In fact the NHL is a classic example of what I'm trying to say. The NHL doesn't necessarily like their regular season OT set-up, but what choice do they have. You can't have teams playing gruelling OT's with an undetermined amount of minutes in the regular season. But when it really matters they play the game the same way in OT until they have a winner. Some of those playoff games can really be long, but that's the way it should be.

Edited by coconut13, 24 January 2014 - 09:50 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Oh I agree about having playoffs the exact same as regular games just like hockey. But also like hockey, I think they need a shorter way to come up with a winner that won't take many hours possibly.

I hate ties with a passion. They get paid to win, not freaking tie.

#35 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

You want to stop the clock more so how would that keep the game flowing more? Itd lengthen the entire game by an hour.

I doubt it would add anything close to that.   After all, I'm only suggesting this be done for the last 2 minutes of the game.  What would you rather have?  a bunch of guys stand around and have one drop to his knee for the last 2 minutes or possibly add some excitement into those final 2 minutes?

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#36 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

The thing about overtime and football.  In regulation you get 4 quarters, and alternate directions each quarter.  IF two teams play to equal standing after those 4 quarters, each has had their side of the field for half the game.

Playing 1 quarter of overtime means one team gets an advantage that the other team does not... in terms of field condition and weather...  so playing normal rules for 1 quarter is not as equal as you might think.

Basketball is indoors... while they do trade sides at halftime, the baskets and court really should be maintained to be the same and unlike football the court doesn't get trashed and muddied during the game!

Baseball doesn't just play half an inning extra... each team gets a full at bat and turn at the outfield.

To be fully fair... for football... you would have to play a quarter or a half for overtime AND switch directions halfway through that OT period... so that each team gets to play in each direction.

Many a game has been played where teams with the wind scored and did not against the wind... but by the end of the game each team had a fair shot going in each direction against and with the elements.  Playing an odd number of overtimes in the same direction skews that in favor of one team.

Unlike penalty kicks or similar in soccer and hockey...  the college OT really only eliminates the kickoff and kickoff return.  You get the ball barely in FG range and have choices to make and play regular football after that.  It's the most fair way I can come up with for football so far.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#37 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,577 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

I bet less than 5% of games are played where the direction makes a substantial difference. 

Another solution would be to change ends after every possession in OT. Not difficult- most Refs could handle that, and it needn't take more time.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#38 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

I doubt it would add anything close to that. After all, I'm only suggesting this be done for the last 2 minutes of the game. What would you rather have? a bunch of guys stand around and have one drop to his knee for the last 2 minutes or possibly add some excitement into those final 2 minutes?

Sorry missed the only last two
Minutes part. I can get on board with that but it does reduce urgency. Unless you mean only at first downs.

#39 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

The part of overtime I don't like in the NFL is that, if the initial OT drive results in a TD, that's it.  If it's a FG, then the other side gets a possession to get a FG or TD (and maybe continue playing after that if it's FG for FG).  There should ALWAYS be a 2nd possession - even after a TD and if the team doesn't match the TD, game over.

• tsmacro likes this

#40 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

The part of overtime I don't like in the NFL is that, if the initial OT drive results in a TD, that's it.  If it's a FG, then the other side gets a possession to get a FG or TD (and maybe continue playing after that if it's FG for FG).  There should ALWAYS be a 2nd possession - even after a TD and if the team doesn't match the TD, game over.

+ 1

spam firewall