Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NFL reportedly considering proposal to eliminate extra points

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

The part of overtime I don't like in the NFL is that, if the initial OT drive results in a TD, that's it.  If it's a FG, then the other side gets a possession to get a FG or TD (and maybe continue playing after that if it's FG for FG).  There should ALWAYS be a 2nd possession - even after a TD and if the team doesn't match the TD, game over.

Exactly!   it is such an unfair advantage for the team which wins the OT coin toss.. 

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Sorry missed the only last two
Minutes part. I can get on board with that but it does reduce urgency. Unless you mean only at first downs.

Yes, it reduces the hurry up offense but it also means the team in the lead will actually have to do something more than just drop to a knee and wait for the clock to run out.  

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#43 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

It really would give the advantage to the team that is behind only.

#44 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

It really would give the advantage to the team that is behind only.

The team which is leading has been getting the advantage for years, it might be time to change sides and give that advantage to the team which is behind..

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#45 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

I don't know what to suggest to improve it... but I agree that I don't like the last 2 minutes being nothing-ball when a team is ahead, has the ball, and the other team is out of time-outs.  This is true in other sports I watch... like basketball... but the difference there is that this doesn't happen until the last 30 seconds or so of the game and even then the other team can commit fouls that result in change of possession after the penalty... whereas in football penalties don't result in change of possession.

So while I do find those last 2 minutes tedious when the winning team doesn't have to do anything... I can't really argue that it is "unfair" to the other team that had the previous 58 minutes to compete.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#46 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

So while I do find those last 2 minutes tedious when the winning team doesn't have to do anything... I can't really argue that it is "unfair" to the other team that had the previous 58 minutes to compete.

if a game is 60 minutes than it should be played for 60 minutes and dropping to the knee for the last 2 minute is not playing!   

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

if a game is 60 minutes than it should be played for 60 minutes and dropping to the knee for the last 2 minute is not playing!   

Of that 60 minutes, though, less than ten minutes is actual action.... (this is not to disagree with your premise).

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

But it is played those last 2 minutes.

Teams do the same thing in the last 2 minutes of the first half too... decide not to try and score and let the clock run out rather than give the ball back to the other team.

Teams also don't run plays at the end of a quarter if they would be kicking against the wind so they can wait for the quarter to end and then kick the other direction.

Like I said... I don't like it as it isn't entertaining... but tempo is a part of the game all game long.  Some teams try and run lots of plays, other teams try to use the entire play clock.  That's true the entire 60 minutes.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#49 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Another change I would not mind seeing is the elimination of running out the clock.  Once the 2 minute warning, the play clock continues but the actual clock does not begin until the ball is snapped and stops at the end of the play. This would eliminate this going down on one knee and running out the clock & might possibly even add a little drama to the end of a game. 

What about the clock stops if the offensive team has the lead and fails to advance the ball past the line of scrimmage.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#50 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

What about the clock stops if the offensive team has the lead and fails to advance the ball past the line of scrimmage.

I'd go with that!

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

spam firewall