Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NASCAR 2014 / 2015

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:55 AM

Keselowski (only his friends refer to him as "Brad," and I'm definitely not an FoB) very obviously and, more importantly, intentionally put others' lives in jeopardy. He should definitely be made to sit out the rest of the season, if not longer, as the intensity of the new format appears to be somewhat more than that with which he is able to cope given his current level of (im)maturity.

Brad is easier and quicker to spell.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#77 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

Brad is easier and quicker to spell.

Exactly!
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#78 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

Light penalties ... $50K for Brad K, $25K for Tony. "Probation" for four races - five races left this year. Probation ends before Homestead.

Boys have at it.

I saw a video of Jeff Gordon watching Tony Stewart's reverse move on the TV in the press center. I had the same reaction. Probably the best $25K Tony ever spent ... his friends would probably chip in if he needed it - they should give matching gifts in support of his actions. Tony did what a lot of drivers wanted to do.

The only down side is it broke the "lie low" plan of staying out of the spotlight. Idiots on TV have new footage to "prove" that Tony is a "hothead". Cue the tabloid media.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#79 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

Light penalties ... $50K for Brad K, $25K for Tony. "Probation" for four races - five races left this year. Probation ends before Homestead.

Boys have at it.

I saw a video of Jeff Gordon watching Tony Stewart's reverse move on the TV in the press center. I had the same reaction. Probably the best $25K Tony ever spent ... his friends would probably chip in if he needed it - they should give matching gifts in support of his actions. Tony did what a lot of drivers wanted to do.

The only down side is it broke the "lie low" plan of staying out of the spotlight. Idiots on TV have new footage to "prove" that Tony is a "hothead". Cue the tabloid media.

Yep, that one guy on Nascar America on NBC sports talked more about Tony and actually sort of defended Bad Brad and what he did.

I believe his name is Frank Stoddard. I do not like him and his opinions.

Part of Tony's action might have been from the fact that Joey spun Danica into the wall. He definitely did it on purpose. You can hear him and his spotter on the in car radio talking about it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#80 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

Terry Labonte qualified in 9th today for the Talladega 500 Sunday.

He says this will be his last Sprint Cup race.

#81 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

And Keselowski and Kenseth will start in the back and work their way up ... should be fun.

(At least this week the "unapproved modification" to Kenseth's car was more than a decal.)

#82 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

And Keselowski and Kenseth will start in the back and work their way up ... should be fun.

(At least this week the "unapproved modification" to Kenseth's car was more than a decal.)

Joey Logano is in 40th,

Jeff Gordon, Kyle Larson, Kyle Bush, Kevin Harvick, Denny Hamlin are all back there also.

Ricky did not qualify because Tony used a Past champions provision to get in. Unless Danica get wrecked out she will pass Ricky in points today.

I would be happy to see Brad and Joey put into the wall today very early in the race by anyone.

#83 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

Not a good day for Hendrick Motorsports with three of the four eliminated drivers coming from their company. Kyle Busch from Joe Gibbs Racing rounds out the eliminated. The two guys with the most wins are still in the chase, Brad with (now) 6 and Joey with 5. Two guys with no wins (Ryan and Matt) also remain. But six time will have to wait until next year to become seven time and Steve Letarde will be leaving NASCAR without a championship.

With Junior (emotional favorite) and Jimmy (logical favorite) out of the chase does anyone have an unbroken Chase Grid? I am still at 6 out of 8 in the chase. (I got one wrong in the first round, eliminating Hamlin, and one wrong in this round, eliminating Newman.) I did not pick a final four but Joey and Brad are doing the right things to stay in the chase ... they are winning in each round.

There are still seven guys in the chase I'd rather see win than Keselowski. :D I'd be happy seeing any of the other seven win. Kenseth and Gordon are old time favorites, champions from more than a decade ago. Edwards is a lame duck (Aflac!) who could win his first championship. Newman is a local boy doing well (actually seeded 3rd). Hamlin, Harvick and Logano all have a good story to tell.

Next week is Richmond.

#84 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

Wow, that was some race yesterday. I don't ever remember that many cars passing each other through out the day. 

Disappointed to see Bad Brad get the win but he did work really hard for it.

Too bad that caution came out before the pit stops were completed there at the last. I would have liked to see where Danica could have held on to finish if it had stayed green until the end. Then again, it is Talladega and the wrecks always happen at the end of the race.

#85 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

It really surprised me that it took this long for the race winner to not be one of the Chase drivers. So now at least two will be eligible for the championship with no wins in the last segment. I have to admit the racing has been intense. I imagine NASCAR will continue to tweak the format a bit, here and there, but overall, I think they have a winner. It's a lot more like playoffs in other sports, other than that those who have been eliminated still get to compete, but are not eligible for a championship. Just like getting mathematically eliminated from the playoffs before the end of the season.

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#86 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • Locationcentral Arkansas

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

What if they had a race and nobody showed up or watched on TV?

This chase format has about done that for us. Daughter is giving away her tickets to TX--so far, no takers. Wife doesn't like Stewart not being in the chase but mostly dislikes that Brad is. An now my guy Harvick got wiped out by another Chase driver. Chance he could win his way in? Maybe, but his chances are not in his hands. A Start And Park driver could crash into him and that's it. 

I don't see tv rating sky rocketing, and judging by the empty seats at M'ville, lots are not showing up. Obviously, this format isn't doing the job. I don't have a solution, but I'm not making big bucks dreaming up this stuff. They have been trying to redefine the championship for years to stimulate interest but it isn't working. Most corporations would fire the execs by now, but as long as a family controls the sport, it is going to be more of the same. Success at managing this business isn't controlled by genetics.

#87 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

It really surprised me that it took this long for the race winner to not be one of the Chase drivers. So now at least two will be eligible for the championship with no wins in the last segment. I have to admit the racing has been intense. I imagine NASCAR will continue to tweak the format a bit, here and there, but overall, I think they have a winner. It's a lot more like playoffs in other sports, other than that those who have been eliminated still get to compete, but are not eligible for a championship. Just like getting mathematically eliminated from the playoffs before the end of the season.

I think that one of the dumbest things about the races is that they are on so many different channels. There are so many people out there that can not get all of them and miss the races. I think they should be on national broadcast channels or at the least on ESPN and stick to it.

I semi watched the race yesterday since I am visiting my 91 year old mother this week and she does not like the races and says they are going to get killed.

Danica had worked her way up to 10th when the wreck happened in front of her that tore up the right front and put her out of the race. I did not expect her to move up at this track, even tho she did last year at this same track.

Lots of people were wrecked out of the race.

Glad Dale got his first clock for the win. Jeff might just win it all.

#88 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

What if they had a race and nobody showed up or watched on TV?

4.328 million watched Talladega on EPSN, 5.096 million watched Charlotte on ABC broadcast one week earlier. Not shabby.

Talladega was the 9th highest rated program on cable that week. People are watching. :)

#89 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

4.328 million watched Talladega on EPSN, 5.096 million watched Charlotte on ABC broadcast one week earlier. Not shabby.

Talladega was the 9th highest rated program on cable that week. People are watching. :)

Yes, but even your numbers show more on ABC than ESPN. Lots of people do not have FS1 when they had it.

Edited by jimmie57, 27 October 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#90 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

When the content is available people watch it. Next year it will be Fox and NBC, with FS1 and NBCSN on the cable side. While many will miss races because they are not on the "available in every package" 8000 pound gorilla ESPN, they are probably too young to remember when only major races were carried live if at all on television. Expansion to cable channels meant more race coverage.

#91 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

I did not care at all for the TNT coverage. ESPN has fallen behind. I remember when all the major sports were all tied up in broadcast deals, racing was a major part of their programming. It was pretty much nothing but racing, Australian Rules football, bass fishing, and exercise shows. And Sportscenter.

#92 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

Is this the "Eliminator" round or the "eliminated" round. :)
Maybe Kahne can win next week?

Next Week:
Logano and Hamlin can make it in by finishing 11th or better.
Winless Ryan Newman can make it in by finishing 9th or better.

Everyone else is within six points of each other: Gordon one point ahead of Kenseth and Edwards, Keselowski five points out. Unhappy Harvick sitting in last place six points out. No one eliminated yet, even if none of the eight win next week. Phoenix should be fun.

Sunday night boxing has returned. :(

#93 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,426 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

Tempers were sure flaring, but I think Gordon has nothing to complain about. It looked to me like exactly what Keslowski said. He left a hole, and Brad tried to drive through it. Jeff then moved down to try and block him, and they touched. So it was his own damn fault he cut a tire. What was he doing picking the outside lane anyway? And the brawl clearly started when Harvick pushed Keslowski from behind.

#94 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

I've heard people compare NASCAR to WWE ... but this was more like a bar fight. The kind where a whole room of men are sitting peacefully until someone throws a punch and then everyone jumps in on the "fun". People end up fighting just because there is a fight ... those guys are throwing punches - why not me?

In previous fights crew members that got involved got fined. I suspect the same will follow this fight. (The caveat being Kenseth not being fined for his flying leap on Keslowski a few weeks ago. So I expect fines against identified crew members and/or crew chiefs for not controlling their crews - not against the drivers.) If I were writing the rules I would say let the drivers fight ... and let the crew members stop the fight. But crew members piling on offensively - doing more than standing between the drivers or holding their own driver back - just seems unfair.

Most drivers and many crew chiefs are built like quarterbacks ... or punters. While some may be athletic like Edwards or Johnson or bulky like Stewart or Newman, they are not the linemen with physiques designed to tackle and take down an opponent (or in NASCAR, move around tires, jacks and gas cans like they were nothing). Crew members giving a driver a beat down is an unfair matchup.

#95 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,366 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:02 PM

Most drivers and many crew chiefs are built like quarterbacks ... or punters. While some may be athletic like Edwards or Johnson or bulky like Stewart or Newman, they are not the linemen with physiques designed to tackle and take down an opponent (or in NASCAR, move around tires, jacks and gas cans like they were nothing). Crew members giving a driver a beat down is an unfair matchup.

My friends boyfriend is on #24 pit crew (he  was also featured on the show Undercover Boss when they did NASCAR) played football - he's a very big & fit dude, it wouldn't be fair. lol

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#96 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

In previous fights crew members that got involved got fined. I suspect the same will follow this fight. (The caveat being Kenseth not being fined for his flying leap on Keslowski a few weeks ago. So I expect fines against identified crew members and/or crew chiefs for not controlling their crews - not against the drivers.) If I were writing the rules I would say let the drivers fight ... and let the crew members stop the fight. But crew members piling on offensively - doing more than standing between the drivers or holding their own driver back - just seems unfair.

Kenseth never through a punch. A punch thrown seems to be where the line is crossed. A crew member of the 24 clearly landed a punch on Keso. Don't think Gordon did. I could see Harvick getting an instigator fine.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

HR-44-700 (3) C41-500 HR 24-100 GenieGo

#97 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

The fines are out ...
Two fighters from the 24 team out $25K and six races (continues into next season).
One fighter from the 5 team also out $25K and six races (continues into next season).
Their crime was "fighting with a driver on pit road".
An additional crew member from the 24 team is out $10K and three races (through Daytona) for fighting with another crew member on pit road.

For not controlling their crews ... the crew chiefs of the 24 and 5 are fined $50k (each) and are both out on probation for six races. NBC is reporting that Hendrick will not be filing an appeal.

Official Release

"While the intensity and emotions are high as we continue through the final rounds of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, the actions that we saw from several crew members Sunday following the race at Texas are unacceptable," said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR senior vice president/competition and racing development. "We reviewed the content that was available to us of the post-race incident along pit road, and identified several crew members who crossed the line with their actions, specifically punching others."

"We therefore have penalized four crew members as well as their crew chiefs, as they ultimately are responsible for members of their team per the NASCAR rulebook," Pemberton continued. "A NASCAR championship is at stake, but we can't allow behavior that crosses the line to go unchecked, particularly when it puts others in harm's way."

Team Members:
24 Mechanic: Dwayne Doucette
24 Engine Tuner: Jason Ingle
24 Hauler Driver: Dean Mozingo ($10K)
5 Rear Tire Changer: Jeremy Fuller

#98 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

Tempers were sure flaring, but I think Gordon has nothing to complain about. It looked to me like exactly what Keslowski said. He left a hole, and Brad tried to drive through it. Jeff then moved down to try and block him, and they touched. So it was his own damn fault he cut a tire. What was he doing picking the outside lane anyway? And the brawl clearly started when Harvick pushed Keslowski from behind.

I do not like Brad but I agree that it looks to me like the  24 car caused the two of them to come together.

#99 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,369 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

So it is Kenseth's fault when Brad does not leave a hole for Kenseth (and runs him into the wall) but Gordon's fault when Gordon does not leave a hole for Brad??? I suppose Brad should complain that Gordon didn't get out of his way - even though Brad certainly didn't get out of the way for Kenseth's faster car a few week's earlier.

Have you been imbibing Brad's sponsor's product? :goodjob:

I will be very surprised if someone doesn't find a reason to race Brad extremely hard next week - especially near the end of the race where there would be no recovery time to repair and get enough points to advance to Homestead. I would not want to see Kahne be the hit man because of his team's involvement in the Texas fight ... but Brad has run out of friends on the track. The "you race me clean and I'll race you clean" code of conduct has been broken.

The radio chatter during the 5 vs 55 on track battle is what I expect ... "oops, the car didn't turn" ... :)

#100 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

So it is Kenseth's fault when Brad does not leave a hole for Kenseth (and runs him into the wall) but Gordon's fault when Gordon does not leave a hole for Brad??? I suppose Brad should complain that Gordon didn't get out of his way - even though Brad certainly didn't get out of the way for Kenseth's faster car a few week's earlier.

Have you been imbibing Brad's sponsor's product? :goodjob:

I will be very surprised if someone doesn't find a reason to race Brad extremely hard next week - especially near the end of the race where there would be no recovery time to repair and get enough points to advance to Homestead. I would not want to see Kahne be the hit man because of his team's involvement in the Texas fight ... but Brad has run out of friends on the track. The "you race me clean and I'll race you clean" code of conduct has been broken.

The radio chatter during the 5 vs 55 on track battle is what I expect ... "oops, the car didn't turn" ... :)

There were 2 camera shots that convinced me that Jeff came down onto Brad. One was an overhead shot and the other was the shot from the roof camera on Kevin's car that was right behind them.

I would like to see Brad and Joey put into the wall by anybody not in the chase. A contender could also put themselves out if they do it.

I have to say that the new format for the chase certainly has amped up the intensity.

Edit / Add: I do not drink anything except Diet Cokes, ever.

I have a son that got 2 DUIs way back in the 90's. As an example of showing him what to do I poured out everything in my house and cut out the occasional drink at parties, etc. He has done almost the same. He now will not have a drink unless he is home.

Edited by jimmie57, 05 November 2014 - 07:45 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...