Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NASCAR Proposed Chase Changes 2014

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

Help! I tried to roll back to IE10 and I lost Internet Explorer completely. After an hour of screwing

around I was able to use google chrome to get 11 back in. It works fine everywhere except here.

I don't want to restore my entire operating system. I just did that 2 months ago and ended up with 11.

Now what? When I try to reinstall 10 my computer says it is already installed, yet control panel never finds it.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

Help! I tried to roll back to IE10 and I lost Internet Explorer completely. After an hour of screwing

around I was able to use google chrome to get 11 back in. It works fine everywhere except here.

I don't want to restore my entire operating system. I just did that 2 months ago and ended up with 11.

Now what? When I try to reinstall 10 my computer says it is already installed, yet control panel never finds it.

IE11 is IE10 with some add on modifications.

Go to Control Panel, Find Programs and Features,

Then click on View Installed updates and give it a couple of minutes to find them all,

Find the Windows Internet Explorer 11 Update ,

Click on it and Uninstall it.

IE10 will come back automatically.

Edited by jimmie57, 26 February 2014 - 06:59 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#43 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Nothing comes up

under Microsoft or windows. I'll just live with it for now. No

way I am going to restore whole computer just to quote here.

Edited by kikkenit2, 26 February 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Nothing comes up

under Microsoft or windows. I'll just live with it for now. No

way I am going to restore whole computer just to quote here.

Sounds like you missed the step to click on "View installed updates" ??

If not I do not know what else to tell you.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#45 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Sounds like you missed the step to click on "View installed updates" ??

If not I do not know what else to tell you.

That was it. I have uninstalled lots of programs, but never been in that area. Always though of

internet explorer as a program. And used to tabs these days. I am a 10. IE10. lol

Last night I google searched over and over and couldn't find a how to remove IE11. Everything was

instructions for windows 8. Now that stuff is a nightmare. I have one sitting in a box until this breaks.

Go ahead and delete these posts that don't pertain to nascar.

Edited by kikkenit2, 26 February 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

Glad you got it fixed

That was it. I have uninstalled lots of programs, but never been in that area. Always though of

internet explorer as a program. And used to tabs these days. I am a 10. IE10. lol

Last night I google searched over and over and couldn't find a how to remove IE11. Everything was

instructions for windows 8. Now that stuff is a nightmare. I have one sitting in a box until this breaks.

Go ahead and delete these posts that don't pertain to nascar.

Glad you got it fixed. It is a program but going from IE8 ?  to 9, 10 and now 11 are updates.

Boo Hoo ! I just looked at the Phoenix weather forecast and it is 100% rain for Friday and 90% for Saturday. There goes the practice and possible Nationwide race.

Interesting: TWC on the web shows 20% for Friday and 90% for Saturday. Time will tell who gets it right I guess.

Edited by jimmie57, 27 February 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

I've been pretty good with windows for a long time, but never had to roll back IE or go to that update area before. Kind of embarrassed. Thanks for being persistent with me. About the only racing that rain improves is formula 1. Last year world superbike started a race in a heavy downpour and I watched a racer die live on bein sports. Today there was a nascar article about how the end of last weeks race was so intense because everybody wanted to be leading when the rain came back. There had to be a lot of people like me that missed the end, because it lasted so long. 37 lead changes after the rain delay is exciting to watch.

I'm going to record the replay tomorrow night and watch the whole thing over again. It really was a big deal that junior won. He was on a pretty dry stretch. When he wins it has to help nascar tv ratings for a while. I live on the west coast and it rained here today. We need it so bad. I just hope it doesn't stretch this race out 10 hours. 

#48 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Knock out qualifying ... less than exciting. :(

We were promised a boys have at it battle to get the fastest lap with possible blocking by other drivers. We got a parade. The drivers handled the challenge well, splitting qualifying into their own sessions and practically taking turns pulling their fastest lap.

I believe the biggest mistake in the minds of those expecting qualifying to be as exciting as an actual race was forgetting that it was the fastest lap that gets the pole. Not the first car over the finish line but the fastest lap sometime during the session. This allows the cars to space themselves out and still get a faster lap than the car in front of them without passing or a race to the finish line.

The only benefit was that qualifying was boring for an hour instead of two. There was still a lot of single cars with no one near them on the track. Not exciting.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#49 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

I like the qualifying. The old way if a car has a hiccup they are dead meat. If they run one good lap they are ahead. This way they all get to tray a second and third time to get a fast time, not just one lap.

I don't like that they let them tape them up and get hot. I want them to qualify in "race trim period", the same as they are going to race.

#50 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

Today's race winner was knocked out in qualifying. :)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#51 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

The pole sitter or the people that qualify up front do not always win. Lots of things happen in a race.

#52 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

Which makes qualifying even less important (other than those at the bottom who need to make the race).

When NASCAR announced the change in qualifying everyone called it "exciting". It was less than exciting to me.

#53 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

The changes in the cars, ride height and spoiler height seems to have worked. There was lots of passing during the racing in the 2 races we have seen so far.

#54 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

How about Junior? 3 wins this year!

Tony Stewart is in a heap of trouble. He clearly swerved into another sprint car driver and killed him.

That is what you get for getting out of your car? Unbelievable. Looked like manslaughter to me.

#55 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

How about Junior? 3 wins this year!

Tony Stewart is in a heap of trouble. He clearly swerved into another sprint car driver and killed him.

That is what you get for getting out of your car? Unbelievable. Looked like manslaughter to me.

I watched it several times on video and I do not believe Tony was at fault. The driver was in a dim light place, dressed in black and ran out on the track to confront Tony. The car in front of Tony saw the man and swerved to miss him but Tony was too close to swerve far enough. Those right rear tires stick out from the cars a long way in the sprint cars.

I was in a wreck once where the car beside me ( blocking my view of a parking lot next to the road ) slammed on brakes because a car was coming out. I could not see them until their car contacted the side of my Ranger PU and turned me over.

#56 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

I am liking the changes they have made to the cars and rules this year.

#57 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

NASCAR has fixed most of the problems I had earlier in the year (qualifying now allows engine coolers so they can get the slow cars off the track and out of the way of fast cars - avoiding exciting crashes).

I like AJ so getting him a chase berth for winning one race isn't a bad thing. (There will be a few also rans in the chase.)

Tony is still chase eligible (he attempted to qualify) - assuming he wins a race since he can't get in on points alone. Not his biggest problem right now. But the chase problem facing NASCAR is people are still confused about the rules.

As far as the video I have seen of the incident (via ESPN and then YouTube) ... knowing that Ward would be hit at some point I thought he was hit by the 45 car as he was standing close to the moving cars. That video did not show Stewart's car for long enough to support the claims that Stewart swerved or gassed the vehicle or did anything out of the ordinary. Hopefully another angle from a closer fan or Stewart's on board camera (if he had one) will help clear up the confusion.

Sprint car racing is dangerous ... professional drivers should seek ways of getting out of sprint cars. When they make the big time of trucks, grand national or cup they should put their dangerous past behind them. I do not believe that Stewart did anything wrong but participate at a level he has outgrown. This is not the kind of attention Stewart, Stewart-Haas or anyone connected to the organization needs. Stewart needs to grow up and be a responsible driver. Not a barnstormer.

#58 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

It was very good to see AJ win yesterday. That was quite a race for sure.

I keep track of what Danica is doing and she started the weekend very badly with the engine change and then the crash from the blown left front tire in practice.

However, Sunday she started last in the race and in 10 laps she was up to 29th. This was from driving, no wrecks, etc. helped her get there.

At one point she was up to 12th. I am sure pit stop strategy had something to do with that.

She did a very good job to avoid crashing into those in front of her in that terrible wreck that red flagged the race.

Finished the day in 21st. I would have thought she had a good day with a 30th place finish from the way the weekend started for her.

#59 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

kikkenit: I don't think you've seen much dirt-track racing.  There was no "swerving" to hit anyone.  What I saw - and I went through it in slow-motion as best I could - was that Stewart tried to avoid the kid - turning left and that means the rear of the car is at risk to "get loose" and go to the right.  The 45 car barely missed the kid and then he walked further down the track into the lane where the cars were driving.  If you see how Stewart's car is positioned after the jiggling fottage that happens right as the collision occurs, you can see his car is pointed to the left - clearly trying to avoid the kid in a black firesuit on a dimly lit track at night.

It pains me to say this because of the tragic results, but this 20 year old kid wouldn't be the first kid who thought he was invincible and that it "couldn't happen to me".

#60 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

Hmmm ... I wonder if NASCAR will ask broadcasters to stop showing clips of people getting out of their cars after on track incidents and putting themselves in harm's way? I doubt if I'll hear the NASCAR radio commercial using Tony Stewart's helmet throw ("this is a helmet") but some of the clips shown this week of NASCAR drivers were pretty bad. Not just throwing things and gesturing from a distance - but running out into traffic.

There are several incidents over the past couple of years that would have been "against the rules" if the "stay in your car" rule had been more than a pre-race suggestion. Incidents guaranteed to make the highlight reel.

I find it ironic that the events that NASCAR uses the most to promote racing are the ones that they write rules to prevent. From "the fight" during the first live race (which is still used for promotion) to tweeting from a cellphone carried in the car ... NASCAR likes the "boys have at it" and media (including social media) attention but then moves to tone it down. Too much of a good thing?

I believe the new rule is too strict ... although the concept of another car hitting a stopped car is not impossible (Montoya losing control and hitting the jet dryer is a good example of how cautions are not 100% safe times). Telling a driver that they cannot unbuckle and prepare to get out of the car seems "too far". And the "crew members cannot approach the racing surface or apron" ... I trust that NASCAR will enforce that with common sense but theoretically anyone who moves toward the track is approaching the apron. And approaching moving vehicles is a major part of something that happens under nearly every caution flag: pit stops. There are parts of the rule that will never be enforced 100% ... and instead of writing a rule NASCAR ignores they should write rules to follow.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...