Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NASCAR Proposed Chase Changes 2014

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

Wow ! Almost the whole field ran over 200 mph in qualifying. Holey Moley that is fast !

Even the Trucks are running 185 or more.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Even the Trucks are running 185 or more.

When they are running ... the second round of qualifying only used the last 60 seconds of the 10 minute session and the final round of qualifying saw only ONE truck post a qualifying time - winning the pole at 173.152 mph. The gamesmanship of deciding when to attempt a lap prevented 11 trucks from posting a time in the final session!

NASCAR is working on decreasing speeds next season ... gotta balance the excitement with having safe races. NASCAR has not killed anyone at a race in a while and needs to keep extending that "number of races without a fatality".
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#63 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

When they are running ... the second round of qualifying only used the last 60 seconds of the 10 minute session and the final round of qualifying saw only ONE truck post a qualifying time - winning the pole at 173.152 mph. The gamesmanship of deciding when to attempt a lap prevented 11 trucks from posting a time in the final session!

NASCAR is working on decreasing speeds next season ... gotta balance the excitement with having safe races. NASCAR has not killed anyone at a race in a while and needs to keep extending that "number of races without a fatality".

I saw that qualifying.

They outsmarted themselves for sure. I don't think they will do that again and I'll bet that the Cup drivers saw that also.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#64 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

I was hoping that NASCAR would defer their decision whether to excuse Tony's absence from the Sprint Cup until it mattered ... but at the end of the day it is better that the decision is made before the win (if there is one) and before it potentially becomes a personal decision between Tony and whomever gets the 16th position on points.

It opens up the precedent that excused "reasons for not racing" can go beyond physical issues. Tony is the first driver to ask for a waiver and the only one to receive one - and he received it at a time when the waiver is moot. He MUST win.

The "must participate" rule seems unneeded anyways. It was written to avoid having a driver win one race and sit out the rest of the season until Chicago ... but the "must be in the top 30 in points" should guarantee enough participation to keep part-time drivers active. Tony is 26th after missing three races. Technically he could of run one scored qualifying lap then gone home each race and met the minimum. Teams and sponsors also keep the drivers in the car ... regardless of how bad the season is going, drivers are obligated to drive and represent their sponsors.

Currently 33 of the top 36 drivers have started all 24 races, with the exception of 20th place (and race winner) Denny Hamlin (who qualified his car for the one race he missed), 35th place Josh Wise (who attempted to qualify at Phoenix) and 26th place Tony Stewart. "Top 30 in points" should be enough to encourage participation ... and if it isn't perhaps they should go for top 25 in points (plus a win).

The concept (or fear) that Tony might actually win Atlanta or Richmond and bump a winless points driver out of the 16th position led one reporter to question whether the chase should be 17 drivers if Tony is allowed to participate. The groan of other reporters in the room answered the question as well as Helton could. No driver has ever won a cup level championship unless they were in 10th place or above with 10 races to go. Right now there are 12 winners (ranked 1 through 24 in points) plus 5th, 9th, 10th and 11th in points. I'll be surprised if all of the top 10 drivers in points do not end up being in the chase.

The reality is that if a driver and team has not figured out how to win so far this year or at least finish well enough to be in the top points position they probably will not do much better in the elimination rounds of the chase. It would take another miracle finish for Tony or any other driver to enter the chase in the last four positions and somehow become better than the rest of the field for the last ten races. Possible ... but unlikely.

Glad to see Tony back ... and that story will dominate this weekend and perhaps next if he wins Richmond. But the best thing I see about Tony being back is now people will stop asking when he will return.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#65 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

"Tony Stewart will not face criminal charges in the death of sprint-car driver Kevin Ward Jr. as a grand jury decided that there was not enough evidence to support any negligence by the three-time Cup champion."

http://www.sportingn...gation-accident

Tony Stewart:
"This has been the toughest and most emotional experience of my life, and it will stay with me forever," Stewart said in the statement. "I’m very grateful for all the support I’ve received and continue to receive.
“I respect everything the District Attorney and Sheriff’s Office did to thoroughly investigate this tragic accident. While the process was long and emotionally difficult, it allowed for all the facts of the accident to be identified and known.
“While much of the attention has been on me, it’s important to remember a young man lost his life. Kevin Ward Jr.’s family and friends will always be in my thoughts and prayers.”

The Ward Family:
“Our son got out of his car during caution while the race was suspended,” the statement said. “All the other vehicles were reducing speed and not accelerating except for Stewart who intentionally tried to intimidate Kevin by accelerating and sliding his car towards him causing this tragedy.
“The focus should be on Mr. Stewart and not my son. This matter is not at rest and we will pursue all remedies in fairness to Kevin.”

NASCAR:
“There are no winners in tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers remain with the Kevin Ward Jr. family and Tony Stewart as they all cope with this tragic incident at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. This has been a difficult time for everyone involved and we have respected the local authorities responsible for reviewing this case.”

While criminal charges will not be filed, the Ward family may (and based on the statement above probably will) file a civil suit for damages. In response to a question at today's press conference, the District Attorney revealed that Kevin Ward tested positive for marijuana use at a level high enough to cause impairment.

In other news ... after a sleeper of a race in Richmond (no changes in who made it in to the chase and who was out and no on track incidents or drama) the first two chase races have been won by different drivers. The field is close enough that any of the other drivers could make it in on points if higher drivers have a bad day. It should be interesting this weekend at Dover where the first four "chase" drivers are eliminated.

Then Brad with his five wins and (at this point) at least one winless driver will enter the "Contender Round" tied at 3000 points each - no advantage to having five wins. Twelve drivers advancing tied up at 3000 points.

It is almost like NASCAR is starting a seven race chase with all remaining drivers tied for first - no seeding. They will have three races to mix it up and then the "Eliminator Round" begins with the top eight remaining drivers - all tied at 4000 points entering the eliminator. (The four drivers eliminated at Talladega will be reduced back to the 2000+ points level, battling for fifth place with the rest of the chasers.)

The hype machine is working overtime ... after Richmond's over hyped ho-hum race the machine is still working promising Dover will be exciting. At least with 14 drivers racing for 10 spots there is no easy way to pick who will be out.

#66 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

James,

I have to respectfully wholeheartedly disagree with you on this one.

The racing is intense and very good this year.

I love the knock out qualifying and the new chase format. The one thing that I thought from day one after hearing how the chase would work is that a high points winner could possibly win the chase and never win a race, not even in the chase.

I do agree with the previous post as "Glad to see Tony back". He is a tough guy and will get in your face for doing something that he has admitted to doing many times but I could never see him running his car at a man out of his car.

After hearing the new changes for next year I feel they might be harder on Danica than most any driver out there. I am a Danica fan but I think she has more trouble with a car that is sliding a little bit more than the rest of the drivers that probably had some dirt track experience.

Only time will tell.

#67 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

Richmond was bad ... the rest have been better.

I heard on the radio this week that "Dover is the new Richmond" ... which reflects the thought I had in my last post in this thread. Today we are down to 12 Contenders ... which is what we had in previous years. Add in the element that all 12 are tied for first in points and it should be interesting to see who can be the best out of three races.

The official standings list has Jeff Gordon in fifth place (seeded). I have no clue why. If they are looking at the whole season Jeff should be in the top three (four wins tied with Logano). If they are looking only at the Challenger round Jeff should be in the top three (one win in this round). It is irrelevant once next week's race is run, but does anyone know why Nascar put Gordon seeded fifth?

I went to The Sporting News website to see if they had an explainer yet, but their top Nascar headline is Kevin Ward. :(

I wonder if an accident recreation showing what happens to a winged sprint car when it hits a person (using a crash test dummy of appropriate weight as a stand in) would help demonstrate to the Ward family that the car would have been pulled to the right by hitting any substantial object on the track? We are still getting the claims of "turned right and accelerated" despite the grand jury investigation.

#68 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

Richmond was bad ... the rest have been better.

I heard on the radio this week that "Dover is the new Richmond" ... which reflects the thought I had in my last post in this thread. Today we are down to 12 Contenders ... which is what we had in previous years. Add in the element that all 12 are tied for first in points and it should be interesting to see who can be the best out of three races.

The official standings list has Jeff Gordon in fifth place (seeded). I have no clue why. If they are looking at the whole season Jeff should be in the top three (four wins tied with Logano). If they are looking only at the Challenger round Jeff should be in the top three (one win in this round). It is irrelevant once next week's race is run, but does anyone know why Nascar put Gordon seeded fifth?

I went to The Sporting News website to see if they had an explainer yet, but their top Nascar headline is Kevin Ward. :(

I wonder if an accident recreation showing what happens to a winged sprint car when it hits a person (using a crash test dummy of appropriate weight as a stand in) would help demonstrate to the Ward family that the car would have been pulled to the right by hitting any substantial object on the track? We are still getting the claims of "turned right and accelerated" despite the grand jury investigation.

I think the seeding is just a consensus of who all the analysts, etc. feel like will win the last race.

I would think that a driver that wins one of the races in a segment would get at least one point to carry over to the next segment. Maybe they will do that next year.

#69 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:03 AM

James,

you might like this site. It has all kinds of stuff that other sites do not have. This is a list of the top 25 drivers and where they would be on the old points system and Jeff is number 1 on it.

http://www.jayski.co...se-2014#classic

#70 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

First of all ... while watching Kansas I was wondering if they were at Talledega - wrecks galore. A lot of chase drivers left in positions where Charlotte is do or die before next week's lottery.

I would like to thank Baylor for scoring ... perhaps now ABC can show the Charlotte race (not present on any alternate channel).

I heard on the radio that ESPN brought down all the big guns from Bristol CT to Charlotte and they were taking turns riding around the track in Richard Petty Driving Experience cars ... a strange idea for a network that will be airing its last NASCAR race in five weeks.

Considering they think it is OK to join Charlotte in progress on lap 27 I suppose I should be happy that ESPN will not be carrying races for the foreseeable future.

#71 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

The Charlotte race was a good one. Lots of passing. My driver, Danica, was doing really well until Joey ran into her and she hit the wall. She went down hill after that. When he hit her she was in 11th place.

Even more action on and off the track after the race was over. Tempers were flaring for sure. There will be fines for that which occurred after the race had ended.

Edited by jimmie57, 12 October 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#72 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

I cheered when I saw what Tony did. :D

And when Brad came out to give "his side" of the story I thought "dude, we have video tape".

Tuesday will be a day to watch indeed. I expect big $$$ coming from Brad. It looks like Denny got talked down from doing anything worse than a brake check before Brad went wild on everyone. Matt may get to make a donation for chasing down Brad and the scuffle that followed (hey ESPN, you actually were in the right place!). It was funny to watch Brad back up after hitting Tony. (No, you didn't push Matt into Tony ... you hit Tony in your uncontrolled rage against the world and Tony returned the hit.) I hope Tony does not get hit hard by NASCAR ... perhaps probation?

A points hit is possible ... but I'm not sure NASCAR will go that far unless there is additional video proof of all the claims against Brad (doing burnouts in the garage and knocking another team's transmission through another team's pit stall). If the fullness of Brad's rage can be proven I will be disappointed if it is only a $$$ penalty.

#73 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

I've been doing some math -
In order for Brad Keselowski to advance, he would need to either win (the easy math) or finish high enough to get in on points.

Getting in on points is difficult (even without a penalty). The most Brad can score without a win is 44 points (finish 2nd leading the most laps). Kyle has that beat by starting the race, four other drivers can beat that finish by finishing 34th or worse. Kasey Kahne is the man to beat for Brad ... If Brad finishes 2nd leading the most laps Kasey can still beat Brad by finishing 18th.

If Matt, Jimmie or Jr win the race Brad will need to beat Denny Hamlin ... who only needs a 34th to bead Brad's best non winning effort. Any points penalty would just make it more of a win or go home race.

As for the other Contenders: Kyle needs a 24th, Ryan needs a 19th, Carl needs an 18th, Jeff needs a 16th and Denny needs a 15th regardless of what the bottom five do. Unless one of them has a bad day the bottom five are racing for one position. A win being the best chance of getting that position - which is exactly what NASCAR promised. :)

#74 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

I would not be surprised if Brad was removed from the Chase for this year after all the stuff he did after the race was over.

Edited by jimmie57, 12 October 2014 - 08:49 PM.

#75 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

I would not be surprised if Brad was removed from the Chase for this year after all the stuff he did after the race was over.

Keselowski (only his friends refer to him as "Brad," and I'm definitely not an FoB) very obviously and, more importantly, intentionally put others' lives in jeopardy. He should definitely be made to sit out the rest of the season, if not longer, as the intensity of the new format appears to be somewhat more than that with which he is able to cope given his current level of (im)maturity.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#76 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:55 AM

Keselowski (only his friends refer to him as "Brad," and I'm definitely not an FoB) very obviously and, more importantly, intentionally put others' lives in jeopardy. He should definitely be made to sit out the rest of the season, if not longer, as the intensity of the new format appears to be somewhat more than that with which he is able to cope given his current level of (im)maturity.

Brad is easier and quicker to spell.

#77 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

Brad is easier and quicker to spell.

Exactly!

#78 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

Light penalties ... $50K for Brad K, $25K for Tony. "Probation" for four races - five races left this year. Probation ends before Homestead.

Boys have at it.

I saw a video of Jeff Gordon watching Tony Stewart's reverse move on the TV in the press center. I had the same reaction. Probably the best $25K Tony ever spent ... his friends would probably chip in if he needed it - they should give matching gifts in support of his actions. Tony did what a lot of drivers wanted to do.

The only down side is it broke the "lie low" plan of staying out of the spotlight. Idiots on TV have new footage to "prove" that Tony is a "hothead". Cue the tabloid media.

#79 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

Light penalties ... $50K for Brad K, $25K for Tony. "Probation" for four races - five races left this year. Probation ends before Homestead.

Boys have at it.

I saw a video of Jeff Gordon watching Tony Stewart's reverse move on the TV in the press center. I had the same reaction. Probably the best $25K Tony ever spent ... his friends would probably chip in if he needed it - they should give matching gifts in support of his actions. Tony did what a lot of drivers wanted to do.

The only down side is it broke the "lie low" plan of staying out of the spotlight. Idiots on TV have new footage to "prove" that Tony is a "hothead". Cue the tabloid media.

Yep, that one guy on Nascar America on NBC sports talked more about Tony and actually sort of defended Bad Brad and what he did.

I believe his name is Frank Stoddard. I do not like him and his opinions.

Part of Tony's action might have been from the fact that Joey spun Danica into the wall. He definitely did it on purpose. You can hear him and his spotter on the in car radio talking about it.

#80 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

Terry Labonte qualified in 9th today for the Talladega 500 Sunday.

He says this will be his last Sprint Cup race.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...