Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NASCAR Proposed Chase Changes 2014

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

Wow ! Almost the whole field ran over 200 mph in qualifying. Holey Moley that is fast !

Even the Trucks are running 185 or more.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,720 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Even the Trucks are running 185 or more.

When they are running ... the second round of qualifying only used the last 60 seconds of the 10 minute session and the final round of qualifying saw only ONE truck post a qualifying time - winning the pole at 173.152 mph. The gamesmanship of deciding when to attempt a lap prevented 11 trucks from posting a time in the final session!

NASCAR is working on decreasing speeds next season ... gotta balance the excitement with having safe races. NASCAR has not killed anyone at a race in a while and needs to keep extending that "number of races without a fatality".
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#63 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

When they are running ... the second round of qualifying only used the last 60 seconds of the 10 minute session and the final round of qualifying saw only ONE truck post a qualifying time - winning the pole at 173.152 mph. The gamesmanship of deciding when to attempt a lap prevented 11 trucks from posting a time in the final session!

NASCAR is working on decreasing speeds next season ... gotta balance the excitement with having safe races. NASCAR has not killed anyone at a race in a while and needs to keep extending that "number of races without a fatality".

I saw that qualifying.

They outsmarted themselves for sure. I don't think they will do that again and I'll bet that the Cup drivers saw that also.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#64 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,720 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

I was hoping that NASCAR would defer their decision whether to excuse Tony's absence from the Sprint Cup until it mattered ... but at the end of the day it is better that the decision is made before the win (if there is one) and before it potentially becomes a personal decision between Tony and whomever gets the 16th position on points.

It opens up the precedent that excused "reasons for not racing" can go beyond physical issues. Tony is the first driver to ask for a waiver and the only one to receive one - and he received it at a time when the waiver is moot. He MUST win.

The "must participate" rule seems unneeded anyways. It was written to avoid having a driver win one race and sit out the rest of the season until Chicago ... but the "must be in the top 30 in points" should guarantee enough participation to keep part-time drivers active. Tony is 26th after missing three races. Technically he could of run one scored qualifying lap then gone home each race and met the minimum. Teams and sponsors also keep the drivers in the car ... regardless of how bad the season is going, drivers are obligated to drive and represent their sponsors.

Currently 33 of the top 36 drivers have started all 24 races, with the exception of 20th place (and race winner) Denny Hamlin (who qualified his car for the one race he missed), 35th place Josh Wise (who attempted to qualify at Phoenix) and 26th place Tony Stewart. "Top 30 in points" should be enough to encourage participation ... and if it isn't perhaps they should go for top 25 in points (plus a win).

The concept (or fear) that Tony might actually win Atlanta or Richmond and bump a winless points driver out of the 16th position led one reporter to question whether the chase should be 17 drivers if Tony is allowed to participate. The groan of other reporters in the room answered the question as well as Helton could. No driver has ever won a cup level championship unless they were in 10th place or above with 10 races to go. Right now there are 12 winners (ranked 1 through 24 in points) plus 5th, 9th, 10th and 11th in points. I'll be surprised if all of the top 10 drivers in points do not end up being in the chase.

The reality is that if a driver and team has not figured out how to win so far this year or at least finish well enough to be in the top points position they probably will not do much better in the elimination rounds of the chase. It would take another miracle finish for Tony or any other driver to enter the chase in the last four positions and somehow become better than the rest of the field for the last ten races. Possible ... but unlikely.

Glad to see Tony back ... and that story will dominate this weekend and perhaps next if he wins Richmond. But the best thing I see about Tony being back is now people will stop asking when he will return.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...