Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tivo re-allocating resources

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

http://www.engadget....-exit-hardware/

If this is true there are now 2 engineers only for existing support for current hardware out there. 

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,189 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

They release something good for the first time in years and then they think they have reached the pinnacle? Just when I thought they where over screwing things up they backup a dump truck load of stupidity to pour ontop of themselves.

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

That's quite a bet TiVo's making, on a "cloud" DVR. Will be interesting to see if they can pull it off.

I'm assuming it will be an HDMI stick or a TiVo app on my networked TV that looks and feels just like a Roamio. That may be easier to pull off than working out the technical and business arrangements with the MSOs.

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

They release something good for the first time in years and then they think they have reached the pinnacle? Just when I thought they where over screwing things up they backup a dump truck load of stupidity to pour ontop of themselves.

Based on what I've read about the Roamio, I don't think it needs any more features. Just UTH to keep it bug-free. I'm not sure what sized maintenance team is required to do that. :shrug:

If you look at past TiVo's, they changed very little after they come out. I remember my Series 1, HDVR2 and HR10-250s had basically the same UI and features all the time I used them.

/steve

#5 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:44 AM

TiVo did respond to the article, and Wired updated their article: http://techland.time...fast-says-tivo/

Wired: "Update: Tivo says it will continue to use third-party designers for hardware going forward. The article has been updated to reflect this fact."

TiVo: “We’re investing a ton into Roamio [the current TiVo line] and are working on new features and services for it…it’s just not right to say we’re exiting the hardware business.”

My Roamio Thoughts: http://forums.solids...mp-Observations
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#6 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

The new Pandora App is awful.    I'm not sure why they changed it.   Now, when one wants to skip a track, there's a two key press with different keys, rather than the skip button on the remote.   Also, when you want to change stations, it's a lot more cumbersome.  More key presses.  Pain when you are on the treadmill working out. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...