Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie 0x07E5, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

Received this on the 4th; HR44/700. I am getting constant freezing since the update (like every five minutes) which then goes to blank screen on live TV; hitting previous channel will restore picture, but clears the buffer. I have checked signal strength, and all is good. Numerous 771-signal loss on sat 1/2 errors, that clear after a couple seconds. All cables are tight and in good shape. I had zero issues before this update.

Recordings playback pixelated, freezing occasionally, but nowhere near as bad as the live tv issues. Have tried numerous resets, ( both guide, and RBR) ran all smart tests, all internal hard drive tests, etc. and all passed. Forced reinstall of software (I think anyway, I reset and input 02468, and it went through the updating process). No calls to support yet, but will on Monday if it doesn't improve, because it virtually unwatchable right now.

Do you have another HDMI cable ? If yes change out the cable.

If you have them or can put your hands on a set of Component cables ( 5, Red Blue and Green for Video and Red and White for Audio ) hook the unit up with that and see if the problem goes away.

If it does it is an HDMI Handshake problem.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mcampers

mcampers

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Do you have another HDMI cable ? If yes change out the cable.

If you have them or can put your hands on a set of Component cables ( 5, Red Blue and Green for Video and Red and White for Audio ) hook the unit up with that and see if the problem goes away.
If it does it is an HDMI Handshake problem.

Thank You, it does appear to be an HDMI issue with my A/V receiver. The freezing/blank screen issue went away when I connected D* receiver direct to TV. I would have never expected an HDMI issue to cause the problems I was having and seeing, so I really appreciate your assistance.

Thanks again
Mike

#23 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

I browsed the thread and I did not see any specific mentions of the issue I'm seeing after the 0x07e5 firmware update

I'm having two issues (the second being the worse of the two):

• Dolby Digital output from my HR44-500 stops. It will only send PCM to my receiver once the bug has taken place. I've tried turning the option for Dolby Digital on and off in settings. The only option to fix it is to reset the Genie. It does seem to take place more after the issue below has happened
  • Channels 501-541 have a weird video glitch/corruption (displayed in Youtube video linked below). The issue is ONLY on these channels - not local channels, 200-500, or 545 and higher. The issue takes place during live TV and recordings on the DVR from these specific channels. On Demand programs from these channel do NOT have this issue. I can watch these channels (and recordings) on my Mini-Genie and HR-22 with no issues at all. Live TV on the Mini-Genie and HR-22 on these channels is fine as well
    • Things I've tried to resolve the issue:
      • ​Changed HDMI cables
      • Tried resetting Genie
      • Powered down the SWM power supply and powered it back up
      • Removed the access card to verify it was clean, free of damage, and seated correctly
      • Changed the video setting to "Native"
      • Signal strength on all 5 tuners is 99%
      • Video of the issue:

Has anyone else seen this issue or have a resolution to it? I'm afraid I'm SOL until a new firmware is pushed out

Edited by TorinTPG, 09 February 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Not sure if its user error or SW but, I can't playback recordings on the Genie HR44 from the HR24, meaning it shows too many are watching from the 24(source recording) and block icon appears throughout the playlist that's recorded from the HR24, I also have an H24 receiver that also playback recordings from either 24/44 but its on live TV at the moment, not sure if the issue starts there or something else I'm not understanding, though its recording at the moment Olympic Games on the 24, but no playable on the Genie among other previous recordings, HR24 plays fine recordings from HR44.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#25 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thank You, it does appear to be an HDMI issue with my A/V receiver. The freezing/blank screen issue went away when I connected D* receiver direct to TV. I would have never expected an HDMI issue to cause the problems I was having and seeing, so I really appreciate your assistance.

Thanks again
Mike

I have my HR24 hooked up with component cables to the TV and an optical cable ran from the DTV receiver to the AV receiver. I use 2 remotes. One controls the volume using the TV speakers, the other controls the volume thru my AV receiver.

The sound is way better on the AV using the optical cable.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

I browsed the thread and I did not see any specific mentions of the issue I'm seeing after the 0x07e5 firmware update

I'm having two issues (the second being the worse of the two):

• Dolby Digital output from my HR44-500 stops. It will only send PCM to my receiver once the bug has taken place. I've tried turning the option for Dolby Digital on and off in settings. The only option to fix it is to reset the Genie. It does seem to take place more after the issue below has happened
  • Channels 501-541 have a weird video glitch/corruption (displayed in Youtube video linked below). The issue is ONLY on these channels - not local channels, 200-500, or 545 and higher. The issue takes place during live TV and recordings on the DVR from these specific channels. On Demand programs from these channel do NOT have this issue. I can watch these channels (and recordings) on my Mini-Genie and HR-22 with no issues at all. Live TV on the Mini-Genie and HR-22 on these channels is fine as well
    • Things I've tried to resolve the issue:
      • ​Changed HDMI cables
      • Tried resetting Genie
      • Powered down the SWM power supply and powered it back up
      • Removed the access card to verify it was clean, free of damage, and seated correctly
      • Changed the video setting to "Native"
      • Signal strength on all 5 tuners is 99%
      • Video of the issue:

Has anyone else seen this issue or have a resolution to it? I'm afraid I'm SOL until a new firmware is pushed out

Have you tried component cables to see if the problem goes away ?

#27 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Have you tried component cables to see if the problem goes away ?

I have not

What about the component might make it work over the HDMI? Are these channels encoded differently than the others that could cause an issue over HDMI?

#28 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

I have not

What about the component might make it work over the HDMI? Are these channels encoded differently than the others that could cause an issue over HDMI?

HDMI cables and connections are very delicate. There are 19 wires inside of one and they all must be within a super small amount of the same length. The software in the TV and the DTV receiver and the AV receivers sometimes do not talk to each other in the exact same language and all of this just adds to a possible problem.

The component cable does not talk on each end and each cable is just one to do what it is supposed to do and that is to "Send the Signal" to the next part of machinery in the line.

If you try them and there is no change then the problem is very possibly in the receiver.

Edited by jimmie57, 09 February 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Only thing that puzzles me is that the Stars on demand works fine and the live stream does not. Is there a major difference in the video format from the live stream vs he on demand download?

I'll try the component cable just to see what happens :)

#30 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Only thing that puzzles me is that the Stars on demand works fine and the live stream does not. Is there a major difference in the video format from the live stream vs he on demand download?

I'll try the component cable just to see what happens :)

Veryoldschool or someone that knows about this question can give you an answer. I can not.

Be Sure to Disconnect the HDMI cable on both ends or that can create a problem also when both ( HDMI and Component ) are connected.

Edited by jimmie57, 09 February 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

I forgot to mention that the HDMI cable I'm using is brand new as of this Friday. I tried using the older one and the same issue

#32 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

I forgot to mention that the HDMI cable I'm using is brand new as of this Friday. I tried using the older one and the same issue

If the TV using the component cables fixes the problem,

It could just as easily be the socket in the TV or the DTV receiver or the software in one of them.

#33 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

So component from Genie to TV directly, issue resolved. I tried to run component into my AVR and output to HDMI to try it - no video at all after assigning the component to the correct input. Turns out my HDMI board on my AVR is dying based on some Onkyo threads on the sr606 (component inputs dead, OSD doesn't work). I guess it was just crappy timing with the issue manifesting and the firmware update

I guess there are no firmware issues specifically for me at this time - thanks all for your help

Still drives me crazy that its only an issue on channels 501-541...

Edited by TorinTPG, 09 February 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

So component from Genie to TV directly, issue resolved. I tried to run component into my AVR and output to HDMI to try it - no video at all after assigning the component to the correct input. Turns out my HDMI board on my AVR is dying based on some Onkyo threads on the sr606 (component inputs dead, OSD doesn't work). I guess it was just crappy timing with the issue manifesting and the firmware update

I guess there are no firmware issues specifically for me at this time - thanks all for your help

We have seen this type of problem in the past. Always a good idea to take out all the components you can and try to eliminate them as a problem.

Glad you know where the problem is now and can fix it. Thanks for the update.

Run a Digital or optical cable to the AVR for your surround sound.

Edited by jimmie57, 09 February 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

Trick play is freezing during rewind, fast forward, and thirty second skip for about ten seconds. After that, both audio and video pick up normally.

This software was pushed to me on the 4th (HR 34-700) and I didn't notice it and no significant problems since then.

This morning if I hit pause, it completely freezes up on the channel - FF, REW, play - nothing works. I have to change channels to get it to work, then come back. We pause live TV all the time, so this will be a PIA until resolved. I'll try a menu reset in a bit, then an RBR later if that doesn't work.

Strange - anybody else getting anything similar?

I'm having the same issues while using double play. While one buffer is fine the other one freezes up if you try to use any trick play.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 10 February 2014 - 10:52 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Just got my HR-44 a few weeks ago. Had the 0x7e5 update on 2/5 @3:49 AM. A few days ago, I noticed caller ID no longer working. Ran the test, stated the phone line has no dial tone. Checked the wall jack, it works.

Suggestions?

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

#37 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,281 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

Just got my HR-44 a few weeks ago. Had the 0x7e5 update on 2/5 @3:49 AM. A few days ago, I noticed caller ID no longer working. Ran the test, stated the phone line has no dial tone. Checked the wall jack, it works.

Suggestions?

Do a menu/red button reset 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#38 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 619 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:09 AM

Just noticed a few days ago that the record light no longer works on HR44-200. the light on front of the box does not illuminate when recording not sure when it began not working. Do not know if it is software or a hardware problem but, will not get used replacement for new HR44--200. Anyone else notice this?

HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#39 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

Do a menu/red button reset 

I did a red button reset, fixed it. Thanks.

I should of known... 'did you reboot it????"

A side note, what are the differences between a red button or a menus. I take it of the menu, some wipe oout all your settings and return it to 'stock'.  I did the red button as I know it is the least invasive though if a menu reset would do the same, it would of been simpler.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

#40 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

When done thru the Menu, you choose Restart Receiver and it is the same as walking over to the unit and pressing the red button.

The other 2 choices will do things you probably do not want like delete settings and lists, etc. or even totally wipe the hard drive and start from scratch like it was when it came out of the box.

The difference is that the Menu is controlled by software and all things happen when they should. With the red button you are temporarily disrupting power and restarting it. Think of your PC. When you want to restart it you use the keystrokes required to tell it to Shutdown and Restart.

Edited by jimmie57, 12 February 2014 - 09:11 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...