Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie 0x07E5, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

That is what I was going to assume but did not want to experiment and find out if I was right. Thanks for the confirm.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Think of your PC. When you want to restart it you use the keystrokes required to tell it to Shutdown and Restart.

At least we hope you do.

A while back I got in an argument with my sister about this.  Any time my parents computer did something screwy she would just kill the power to it rather than properly shutting it down using the start menu or Task Manager.  Then she wondered why it kept messing up more and more often.  I tried explaining to her that what she was doing was very likely the cause of a lot of the issues, but she refused to listen and said that is how she has always done it and that there is nothing wrong with it.

But yes, going into the menu and selecting Restart receiver (I think that is the term) is the best way to do it.  Just be careful not to do the reset to defaults, or reset everything (I think those are the terms) as the first resets all your video/audio/recording settings, and the second will actually delete all your recordings.  I believe all three come up with a warning screen that tells you what all will happen though.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Pressing the button takes about 2 to 3 seconds for the receiver to reboot. about the same time it takes once you press SELECT on "restart receiver"  I don't think there is any negligible difference between the two

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

I should of known... 'did you reboot it????"

Yep, so simple folks tend to forget.

FYI, you can press GUIDE and RIGHT arrow on the front panel of the receiver to do a phone line test.  basically have the receiver call you.  weird.....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#45 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Yep, so simple folks tend to forget.

FYI, you can press GUIDE and RIGHT arrow on the front panel of the receiver to do a phone line test.  basically have the receiver call you.  weird.....

That is what I did after I confirmed I had caller ID turned on. Ran the test, got 'no dial tone'. Then I checked my line, had a dial tone, so I knew it was in the STB. Then I looked at the Caller ID log, saw that last call was prior to the software update. That led me to hope/suspect the update caused it and that it was not a STB failure. The rebooting is something I should of known. Funny part is, after 15 years of being a Directv customer, that was the first time I had to reboot. Previous reboots only confirmed a dead STB.

#46 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

My HR44-200 received 0x7e5 thirty six hours ago. My DirecTV/Genie Recommends, TV Shows, and Movies are still reloading. YouTube, Pandora, Sports, and Allow Web Videos are still missing. Looks like I'm doing a double reset tomorrow morning.  :mad:

Same issue with my HR44-700. Had to double reset more than once over 48hr period to get everything back...

#47 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

This release really messed up Double Play. I can't do any trick play on the second screen. It freezes and the screen goes black.

EDIT: A reset has fixed the problem for now, hopefully it will last.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 13 February 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   RUInRVU

RUInRVU

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:04 AM

I wonder if this has something to do with wireless or hardwired connections. Is the HR34 experiencing the same problems as the HR44? If so can you change the settings on the OSD (On Screen Display) in the setting somewhere for the connect now options. Not sure how this works because I'm not a Directv user yet but I will be soon. I'm trying to learn more about it. I was wondering if there was anyone posting that is using the HR44 in a Whole-Home configuration wirelessly? Is this software upgrade effecting the HR34 in the same way as the HR44 because the HR44 has a wireless adapter built in. It just has me wondering.

#49 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

I received the update at 3:45 this am on my HR34. When I turned it on at 6am it was stuck in the 1 of 2 sat info download. Couldn't

get to the menu so did a RBR and it seems to be working OK. First time that I have had a problem with a new SW download (and

the weather was not a problem)...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#50 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:49 AM

I got this update a few days ago. I am using the AM21 with an HR44 and still have the issues people have previously reported.  Watching some OTA stations, the picture and audio disappear when the program changes.  You have to change channels up or down to get it to come back on.

Now, though, I have an even worse problem. At least in the past you could record something even o n those channels and expect to get the full recording.  Now, and so far it seems only on the two FOX stations I get, a minute or two into a recording the recording will stop.  It shows the orange bar as a full recording, but you can't go by this point. There is no "delete/don't delete" message, but the recording can't be accessed and deleting is the only option.  This happens with every recording. Luckily, I have an HR20 in the same room, and I use that for all recordings on FOX.

SMK

My HR34 also fails to play back a lot of recordings, but not just from Fox.  Many ESPN.  It plays back for about 1 second and then I get the keep/depete message.  Funny, but this happens only on videos that I record overnight.  The daytime recordings are fine.  I was wondering if I was loading up my to-do list with too may things because I record an awful lot overnight.  DTV sent a tech and he checked my dish and connetions and said everything was fine.  He also said that DTV says the latest software for the HR34 has many unexpected bugs.  My History says for the recordings that fail, "This program was deleted because of a problem retaining the program (2001)."  The long verson check of my HR34 says my hard drive is fine.  Thanks!

#51 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Received this update yesterday morning and have noticed considerable stuttering and pixelation on recording. At first I thought it was just poor camera work by Golf Channel and then decided to check what version I was on and realized this one was downloaded at 5am yesterday. Prior to that I would get an occasional short pixelation but no stuttering.

#52 OFFLINE   Vinny*

Vinny*

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Having to do a double reboot every time we get new software is getting old. The average customer who does not know about this sight will not know what to do.

Sent from my KFTT using DBSTalk mobile app

#53 OFFLINE   Trikally

Trikally

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

We are having a lot of "Searching for Server" issues. HR44-700 and C41W-100 are the models we own. There are three of the C41W-100's. 

When I check the Video Bridge the main light is Blue, and the one behind it is green (where things plug in) Everything on the Clients are green, same as the light where things plug in. We have unplugged, reset everything. Even hit the RED button on the main and then went to each room to reset the clients. Nothing has worked. 

However, when I go to the big box, it says everything is connected. As soon as I go to the big box though, and check the connection status everything starts to work again. It will then go out about 10 to 15 minutes later.

I'm done, and I'm so frustrated. We've had a guy come out before, and he said the connectors or something were bad so he had to replace them all. It didn't work, and now we are back to square one. 

Is the server the main box? Is there something that is blocking a signal to the rest? The box is in my brothers room, and his Xbox is right underneath the main genie. Could his xbox be doing something? (This wasn't brought up when the guy was here however.) The WiFi box is across the house in a completely different room. The Video Bridge is in my room and is the correct amount of space away from my Mini Genie. 

#54 OFFLINE   mrphil

mrphil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

Received this latest 'update' the first of the week. Waited almost 72 hours, still no What's On, Genie Recommends, YouTube, nor Pandora. Performed a double reset, waited another 72 hours....ditto. Just performed a single reset and within 2 minutes after the HR44-500 was back up, all is well.

(1) HR44-500 w/Ethernet / AM21 / Monsoon Vulkano 010410VL
USpeed AK-68UPSHDDS-BU Dock / WD30EURS 3TB Drive
(1) HR24-500 / Antec MX-1 Dock / WD20EVDS 2TB Drive
(2) C41-100 Clients / Monsoon Vulkano 010410VF

#55 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

We are having a lot of "Searching for Server" issues. HR44-700 and C41W-100 are the models we own.

Why not call DirecTV and replace the wireless clients with wired ones.  you will be glad you did.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#56 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,821 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

We are having a lot of "Searching for Server" issues. HR44-700 and C41W-100 are the models we own. There are three of the C41W-100's. 

When I check the Video Bridge the main light is Blue, and the one behind it is green (where things plug in) Everything on the Clients are green, same as the light where things plug in. We have unplugged, reset everything. Even hit the RED button on the main and then went to each room to reset the clients. Nothing has worked. 

However, when I go to the big box, it says everything is connected. As soon as I go to the big box though, and check the connection status everything starts to work again. It will then go out about 10 to 15 minutes later.

I'm done, and I'm so frustrated. We've had a guy come out before, and he said the connectors or something were bad so he had to replace them all. It didn't work, and now we are back to square one. 

Is the server the main box? Is there something that is blocking a signal to the rest? The box is in my brothers room, and his Xbox is right underneath the main genie. Could his xbox be doing something? (This wasn't brought up when the guy was here however.) The WiFi box is across the house in a completely different room. The Video Bridge is in my room and is the correct amount of space away from my Mini Genie. 

Why not call DirecTV and replace the wireless clients with wired ones.  you will be glad you did.

If you could use wired in place of some of the wireless clients (aka Mini Wireless Genie), peds48 is correct it will be more stable.

However your post uses alot of terms and the word "box" alot.

See the highlighting.

HR44=Server or Genie

C41W=Wireless client or mini wireless Genie

The HR44 does not transmit anything over wi-fi to the wireless clents.

The Video Bridge is wired to the HR44 in some manner.

The Video Bridge sends WiFi signals to the wireless clients.

Not sure what all the other boxes are you reference.

But it wouldn't hurt to unplug the Xbox for a while and see if that improves your performance.

And if you have any WiFi repeaters or access points, share that info too please.

#57 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

What is set up in your home wireless network.

Also press and hold the select button on the remote for the wireless clients for 10 to 12 seconds. while you're holding The select button another screen will pop up. Scroll through it and find out What what your signal strength shows and can you let us know?

#58 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hmmmm

Caller ID failed again. Ran the test, got the same phone line error. This time I ran the basic on-screen menu reset/reboot. Fixed the problem. Maybe....

Any ideas why I had this twice? Could I have gotten a poor software D/L? Doubtful, I know but I'd rather that than a bad HR-44 Think I should try a forced software update? Should I call them?

#59 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

You didn't get bad firmware. It's likely from the bug that They know about and they are working to fix it but it's a slow process for this.

#60 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

You didn't get bad firmware. It's likely from the bug that They know about and they are working to fix it but it's a slow process for this.

Phew, I was worried about a hardware issue. I can deal with a reboot from time to time.

spam firewall