Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV upgrading to HD

directv hd upgrade

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   evotz

evotz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

I currently have DirecTV, paying about $70/mo for the CHOICE package and I'm out of my contract with DirecTV.  I have a very simple set up.  I just have the one SD receiver in the living room, I have that split off to run to my bedroom and office via coax cable.  I can only watch one channel, but this doesn't bother me since I can't be in the living room and the office at the same time.  I rarely even watch TV in the office or bedroom, so having it split is not a big deal for me.

I have an old CRT TV in the living room, it doesn't support HD, so when I ordered DirecTV several years ago, I had no reason to get the HD receiver.

I'm considering getting a new flat screen TV for the living room, that will support HD.  If I upgraded my DirecTV to an HD receiver, what all would that cost me?  Is there an extra fee just for enabling HD content?  I don't really want to pay more than the $70/mo that I'm already paying.

I don't really have the need for a DVR or the Genie receiver.  I suppose having the ability to record a show might be nice, but if the Genie receiver is going to add on to my monthly fee, then I'm not interested in it.

Can I upgrade through DirecTV to get a new HD receiver?  Will having the HD receiver increase my monthly cost?  I figure I'll have to reup my contract with DirecTV, which isn't a problem as long as the pricing stays the same.

Or would I be better off buying an HD receiver from Ebay or something and purchasing a new card from DirecTV (I think that's a one time $20 fee?)

Currently I'm paying about $65 for the CHOICE package.  My bill has a $6 receiver rent fee, but then has a -$6 fee to counter the receiver fee.  The rest of the fees are taxes, doesn't quite add up to $70, but pretty close.

I figured real-world experience on this forum might be better than what customer service representatives might try to sell me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

You need a DVR, you just don't know it yet. :D 

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,159 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

Call DIRECTV to see what sort of upgrade deals they will offer.

You may be entitled to a free one.

Much to the disdain of many there is an $10.00 monthly access fee for HD programming, however DIRECTV may even offer a waiver deal on this at least for the first so many months of a new one year commitment for a non-DVR HD receiver.

Also keep in mind a fee increase is coming for DIRECTV service to all subscribers in February which you need to consider as well. Even though it may take place after any deals DIRECTV may offer you as introductory discounts to your new one year commitment. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#4 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

HD service adds $10 to your bill.

DVR service, SD or HD, adds another $10.

This is copied from my recent bill:

01/03   02/02   Advanced Receiver-HD Monthly   10.00 trans.giftrans.gif

01/03   02/02   Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly   10.00

You could possibly upgrade for a zero cost. When I upgraded from SD I had 2 receivers. I got a new dish, new coax, HD receiver and an HD DVR and I had to pay $99 for it all.

Very pleased with the HD. Your eyes will thank you for changing.

With the DVR you can record 2 shows and watch one that was previously recorded. There are a lot of shows that I like that come on at the same time and it is a big plus for me to be able to record them and watch them the next night.

Edited by jimmie57, 23 January 2014 - 02:11 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Unless you're prepared to spend some real time with it, I'd stay away from eBay for receivers. 

For my money, a DVR is worth it. Well worth it; I have three in service now. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   evotz

evotz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

You need a DVR, you just don't know it yet. :D

This is probably true.  It's one reason why I don't have a DVR.  Once you get one, you probably won't be able to live without it.  So as long as I don't know what I'm not missing, I'll be alright.

HD service adds $10 to your bill.

DVR service, SD or HD, adds another $10.

This is copied from my recent bill:

01/03   02/02   Advanced Receiver-HD Monthly   10.00 trans.giftrans.gif

01/03   02/02   Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly   10.00

You could possibly upgrade for a zero cost. When I upgraded from SD I had 2 receivers. I got a new dish, new coax, HD receiver and an HD DVR and I had to pay $99 for it all.

Very pleased with the HD. Your eyes will thank you for changing.

So there's really no way to get completely out of the $10/mo HD fee?  I thought customer retention might be able to waive that fully but from what I'm reading here, they would only waive it for a few months.

I thought Dish Network offered free HD for life.  Although going through their site, I found this little nugget: HD Free For 24 Mo (reg $10).  So with Dish is "life" equal to about 24 months?

#7 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

This is probably true.  It's one reason why I don't have a DVR.  Once you get one, you probably won't be able to live without it.  So as long as I don't know what I'm not missing, I'll be alright.

So there's really no way to get completely out of the $10/mo HD fee?  I thought customer retention might be able to waive that fully but from what I'm reading here, they would only waive it for a few months.

I thought Dish Network offered free HD for life.  Although going through their site, I found this little nugget: HD Free For 24 Mo (reg $10).  So with Dish is "life" equal to about 24 months?

Call and see what they can offer you, you do not have to do anything when you call, just check it out.

Lots of times they offer you multiple discounts for a few months. I call them about every 6 months to see if there are any discounts I could get. Sometimes it is a little bit and sometimes it is a lot.

Dish and DTV were doing HD free for life at one time, then it was 24 months, then 12 months and now I do not know, especially with Dish.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

HD costs a little more, but it is worth it. Don't buy a big tv and stay

with standard def signals. It will look horrible. And you will start a new

2 year contract. For normal programming either directv or dish will work.

Make them fight for your business.

#9 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

I've had HD for over nine years and a DVR for over six years. And I wouldn't go back to SD or no recording capability at all. If m provider, currently FiOS, raised their rates too high I would first check out DirecTV again. If their rates were too high I would buy a TiVO. I do get excellent OTA reception here.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#10 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

It is on a case by case but when I upgraded to HD I was out of contract and they waved the 10$ HD fee for the first year and I got the HD DVR at no cost. It dose start a two year contract so get as much as you can.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Call retention to see what kind of deal you can get to reduce your bill.  They will offer you some pretty good deals I bet.  More then you will get if you just try to get out of the HD fee.  I know they have a $15 off for 15 months deal or $15 off for 12 months, free DVR for a year and free HD for a year as well.  Then you can upgrade probably free and have it all for a year.  The trick is getting to retention.  Call the 800 number and say cancel.  It will ask you something and you say cancel, if it transfers right through then you probably wont get retention but if it says something else, you are on the right track.  Let us know what you decide.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#12 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

Use caution if you tell them you want to cancel to get a deal.

Read what happened to this customer in the last few days. I have never talked to customer retention that I remember.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ion-of-service/

#13 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Use caution if you tell them you want to cancel to get a deal.

Read what happened to this customer in the last few days. I have never talked to customer retention that I remember.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ion-of-service/

I asked him to say cancel to the automated system not a rep.  I think that will be fine.  I agree with you, careful saying it to a rep.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#14 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,931 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

So with Dish is "life" equal to about 24 months?

The other guy's promotion of FHDFL has expired. Now they offer something similar to what DIRECTV has been offering since their short burst (2-3 months?) of FHDFL.

You would need to confirm one way or the other, but an HD DVR may cost you a $25/month Advanced Receiver Fee. New customers have to pay it and I'm suspicious existing customers who upgraded to HD DVR may as well. If you go this route, knowing what happened would provide a useful data point. Know that the HD equipment does NOT provide a RF modulated output for your other TVs so you'll need to acquire a modulator.

Note that HD and/or SD DVR upgrades fetch a 24 month commitment as opposed to the 12 month term for SD receivers.

It is interesting to note that DIRECTV is interested enough in getting the Genie out there that they no longer advertise discounts on HD DVRs for new customers. The part about the Advanced Receiver Fee with a HD DVR is icing on that cake.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

Nope, that is DirecTV's bread and butter...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   evotz

evotz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Call retention to see what kind of deal you can get to reduce your bill.  They will offer you some pretty good deals I bet.  More then you will get if you just try to get out of the HD fee.  I know they have a $15 off for 15 months deal or $15 off for 12 months, free DVR for a year and free HD for a year as well.  Then you can upgrade probably free and have it all for a year.  The trick is getting to retention.  Call the 800 number and say cancel.  It will ask you something and you say cancel, if it transfers right through then you probably wont get retention but if it says something else, you are on the right track.  Let us know what you decide.

It could be a while before I do anything.  I was just curious as to how all of this might play out.  I'd like for my current TV to die so I can justify getting a new one.

The other guy's promotion of FHDFL has expired. Now they offer something similar to what DIRECTV has been offering since their short burst (2-3 months?) of FHDFL.

You would need to confirm one way or the other, but an HD DVR may cost you a $25/month Advanced Receiver Fee. New customers have to pay it and I'm suspicious existing customers who upgraded to HD DVR may as well. If you go this route, knowing what happened would provide a useful data point. Know that the HD equipment does NOT provide a RF modulated output for your other TVs so you'll need to acquire a modulator.

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I figured the HD reciever would have the coax out that I could use to feed the other TVs.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention, otherwise I would have just gone on my own assumption.

Nope, that is DirecTV's bread and butter...

Well, I'm at least comforted to some extent knowing that Dish's Free HD for life is no longer active.  I didn't know they had ended that.  So basically, it turns out if you want HD, you're going to have to pay for it no matter which TV provider you go with (although, one might offer X more months free over the other).  Still not too thrilled with the idea of having to pay extra for HD, it seems like its just kind of a bogus "because we can" charge.  But if they're all doing it, that means one's not necessarily better than the other.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Well, I'm at least comforted to some extent knowing that Dish's Free HD for life is no longer active.  I didn't know they had ended that.  So basically, it turns out if you want HD, you're going to have to pay for it no matter which TV provider you go with (although, one might offer X more months free over the other).  Still not too thrilled with the idea of having to pay extra for HD, it seems like its just kind of a bogus "because we can" charge.  But if they're all doing it, that means one's not necessarily better than the other.

Not sure if this applies to DISH, but at least the good thing about DirecTV is that the HD fee covers all HD and HD DVR receivers you  have in your account, unlike most cable companies which charges more a more for an HD receiver.  this might be good for folks like yourself with just one HD receiver, but def not good for folks like myself with 6 HDDVRs.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#18 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,083 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

Some providers say they have free HD, but they just move the charge really. Time Warner says HD is free, but an HD receiver is $10 a month, and I don't think the first one is credited like DirecTV does. So they charge $10 for each HD receiver and $22 for each DVR.

Plus, at least in my area, Time Warner HD looks pretty bad.

• HDTVFreak07 likes this

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

DISH stopped offering "HD for life" about a week ago. Their current offer is for 24 months. Grandfathered customers remain "for life".
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: directv, hd upgrade

Protected By... spam firewall...And...