Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

119 Sat

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gary2381

gary2381

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

I have been getting 0 signal on the 119 sat.  I have the Swim 5 LNB in the DFW area.  I thought it was because of some trees but last night I noticed I was getting a signal (low 80's high 70's).  This morning I checked and the signal was lower (low 60's) and now around 12pm its completely gone.  I realize that this doesn't make sense but what would night / day have to do with the signal?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

do you have your stations coming from 119W ? if not, just chalk it out of your life :)

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

it could still be the trees that are moving around with the wind

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   gary2381

gary2381

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

do you have your stations coming from 119W ? if not, just chalk it out of your life :)

One local station that I don't really watch much.  I was just wondering if I should change out the LNB.

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

DFW area and you have a local on 119, that doesn't sound right.

Anyway, could be with the weather we're having in TX maybe it's ice build up on the 119 LNB?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

With an overnight low of 10-15* and a warm up to 30* about noon I would bet on a LNB problem, but if you don't watch anything off that satellite is it worth worrying about?

#7 OFFLINE   johnfist

johnfist

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

I've read low temps can affect LNB functions, not sure how low exactly but it has been cold recently here in DFW.  Windy as well, check and make sure everything is securely fastened.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

With an overnight low of 10-15* and a warm up to 30* about noon I would bet on a LNB problem, but if you don't watch anything off that satellite is it worth worrying about?

you just can change you the LNB like that.  there are certain DirecTV procedures that prevent this from happening 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

you just can change you the LNB like that.  there are certain DirecTV procedures that prevent this from happening 

Can you explain?

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Can you explain?

Are you not aware of IV and IV retest?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,023 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

So your saying that DIRECTV can tell when you've replaced an LNB assembly? 

Are you not aware of IV and IV retest?

My recollection is that IV Tests aren't required for existing customers that are doing a DIY.

I suspect that like me, studechip was looking for an explanation of how you thought you were responding to the text that you quoted as there wasn't anything in there to suggest a hardware change. It was more of a "there's nothing on 119W so who cares?" thing.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,023 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

One of the most popular time-of-day problems is condensation on inside of the lens for the corresponding feed horn but that usually happens at night and lasts through the early morning hours. This would seem to be the opposite scenario.

If it were Spring, the issue of solar outages might come into play for small fraction of a day.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

1)So your saying that DIRECTV can tell when you've replaced an LNB assembly? 
My recollection is that IV Tests aren't required for existing customers that are doing a DIY.

2)I suspect that like me, studechip was looking for an explanation of how you thought you were responding to the text that you quoted as there wasn't anything in there to suggest a hardware change. It was more of a "there's nothing on 119W so who cares?" thing.

1) if they really wanted to know, they def can.  as this info is in the receiver which might be connected to the internet and as sun can be "pulled" by DirecTV, but I doubt they really want to know, so this is not the point.  see #2

2)they customers account has an equipment "tab" which is what DirecTV uses when doing IV retest.  This is to prevent techs from changing to round dish, passing the test and setting back to an "HD" LNB.  So what happens if the customer changes from a 5 to a 3 LNB? if they ever need a service call and they are supposed to have a 5, the tech will fail the test will need to install a 5 in order to pass the test.  if this is not possible even by relocating the dish, then this customers will be "unserviceable" and as such, will not get service from DirecTV any more.  they will be "on their own"

Point is, that if there is a place where the OP can install his dish to get the services he is supposed to get, according to DirecTV, then this s the right thing to do. If the OP does not have line of sight to the 119 and DirecTV determines that the 119 is required for the OP, then the customer will be NLOS and will be "on his own"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,023 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

This is to prevent techs from changing to round dish, passing the test and setting back to an "HD" LNB.

So you were responding to a post #4 from the TS rather than RBA's post #6 that you quoted.

DIRECTV sets up lots (maybe even a majority) of their customers with antennae insufficient to receive all of their subscribed programming. Perhaps they may take a harder line in the waiver process when it comes to local programming.

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

So you were responding to a post #4 from the TS rather than RBA's post #6 that you quoted.

DIRECTV sets up lots (maybe even a majority) of their customers with antennae insufficient to receive all of their subscribed programming. Perhaps they may take a harder line in the waiver process when it comes to local programming.

Proof please? I'd love to know what channels people are supposed to get that they don't because of what dish they install for the majority of people.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Correct, my mistake...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Proof please? I'd love to know what channels people are supposed to get that they don't because of what dish they install for the majority of people.

I'd like to see that proof too!

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#18 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Harsh probably means the useless music channels.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#19 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

If you subscribe to them, you should be able to receive them regardless if you think they are useless or not. What does it matter what you think of those channels?

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

If you subscribe to them, you should be able to receive them regardless if you think they are useless or not. What does it matter what you think of those channels?

It's just an opinion, geez.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...