Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recommitment turned sour!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bhepper

bhepper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

After signing up with DirecTV awhile back we have been fairly happy with our service.  UNTIL NOW!

We recently recommitted to them for another 24 months on the conditions we would receive the latest receivers.  As part of the recommitment we were to receive a $200 gift card as well as $100/month for 24 months.  When the installer came to install the equipment we discovered the equipment he had was older than on of the receivers we were currently using.  When we discovered the latest receiver would be able to be sent to us we canceled the order and upgrade offer.  Upon checking with them however we were told the other offers ($200 gift card and $10/month for 24 months) could not be removed by ANYONE at DirecTV and we would therefore be stuck in the commitment as they were separate agreements! 

This is not what I agreed to at all. I agreed to the recommitment under the pretense we would be receiving all items discussed.  Grrr!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

If they didnt activate the "new" receivers on your account, there should be no recommitment.  The activation and signature is what they base it on....unless you already spent the gift card, I suppose they could go on that.

Email the Office of the President with your complaint, and remember, its posted on this board over and over...DirecTv cannot guarantee any specific models, only catagories (receiver, HD receiver, DVR, HD DVR, Genie).    Only way to be guaranteed a certain model is to order it from Solid Signal or another online dealer, and HOPE DirecTv reimburses you for it in accordance with your agreement.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

What do you have and what did they come with to replace your equipment? The only upgrades (to DirecTV) are between classes. 

#4 OFFLINE   bhepper

bhepper

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

HR23 and HD Receiver currently.

Was told would get Genie and new HD DVR which we were going to use in the basement to keep our recordings separate from our kids' recordings.

The installer had the HR44 and an HR22.

According to DirecTV they are separate agreements and would not remove the other offers from the account.

Edited by bhepper, 24 January 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,258 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

There are a few promotions such as gift cards and bill reductions that are tied to (usually) one year commitment 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

I'd ask where my genie was. That would be a big jump over what you have now, that is a proper upgrade.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

I'd have taken it to be honest. That's the newest Genie, and there honestly isn't a difference between a 22 and a 23 in a SWM environment, which is what is used for a Genie. You should have been able to just keep the 23 though.

#8 OFFLINE   bhepper

bhepper

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

The $200 gift card was tied to 1 yr commitment and $10/mo for 24 months was tied to 24 month commitment I believe.  But I told him I would only commit if we could do all 3.  Was never told I couldn't cancel the other two.

#9 OFFLINE   bhepper

bhepper

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

I'd have taken it to be honest. That's the newest Genie, and there honestly isn't a difference between a 22 and a 23 in a SWM environment, which is what is used for a Genie. You should have been able to just keep the 23 though.

The way I look at it if there wasn't a difference there would be no reason to release the new one.  We could have kept the 23, but I was going to recommit and pay for the next two years I felt it should be with newer equipment. 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,258 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

The way I look at it if there wasn't a difference there would be no reason to release the new one.  We could have kept the 23, but I was going to recommit and pay for the next two years I felt it should be with newer equipment. 

the HR44 is new equipment 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   bhepper

bhepper

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

the HR44 is new equipment 

Yes, but all equipment was to be newer.  It was discussed and explained by me to the representative when we talked.

#12 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

The newest HD DVR (non genie) that you could get was a HR24 and i am sure by now its a pretty high chance of being a referbished unit... i would have got the HR44 and kept the HR23 and been done with it.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,268 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Yes, but all equipment was to be newer.  It was discussed and explained by me to the representative when we talked.

What exactly did you mean by "HD receiver"--- what model, please. Old school's idea has merit. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

The way I look at it if there wasn't a difference there would be no reason to release the new one. We could have kept the 23, but I was going to recommit and pay for the next two years I felt it should be with newer equipment.

The only reason they released the HR23 was it use wide band tuners so it didn't need Bbcs on the end of it, but once they went to all swim it became a moot point. They are the same. I believe they actually stopped making hr23s before HR22 because of cost, not positive though.

Did you let them install all the hr44?

#15 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

Hmm.

I've been involved in quite a few installs where the customer thought they were getting a gift card of some sort.  Don't ever recall anyone ever actually getting one though, LOL!

:righton:

#16 OFFLINE   bhepper

bhepper

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

Received a message on Facebook stating they were able to cancel the gift card and discount offers.  Imagine that.  Am waiting for confirmation the agreements have been cancelled.  They may have saved a customer from canceling.  Not that they care I suppose.

Interesting about the gift card though.  Guess we won't find out now!

#17 OFFLINE   bhepper

bhepper

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Received a call from the Office of the President.  They are putting the agreement cancellation on the fast track.  They are also going to send an HR24 to us directly and then reschedule an install and the original agreements into place.  She was very nice and helpful.  Liked her.

#18 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

The newest HD DVR (non genie) that you could get was a HR24 and i am sure by now its a pretty high chance of being a referbished unit... i would have got the HR44 and kept the HR23 and been done with it.

But wait a minute, Directv is currently running ads making fun of the evil cable company for sending used equipment to customers. You mean they do the same thing?  Shocking.

• studechip likes this
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#19 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,893 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

Received a call from the Office of the President.  They are putting the agreement cancellation on the fast track.  They are also going to send an HR24 to us directly and then reschedule an install and the original agreements into place.  She was very nice and helpful.  Liked her.

You do realize as Old_School stated the newest non Genie HD DVR is the HR24 and that there is a high chance the unit they are sending you will be refurbished. A refurbished HR24 will still be considered by DirecTV as new equipment.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#20 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:44 AM

A refurbished HR24 will still be considered by DirecTV as new equipment.  

Which makes the ads they are currently running laughable.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...