Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv's Active and app plans post Weather Channel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

I don't want this to be a discussion about the weather channel but about what you think the plans will be for the new weather app and active weather service which will obviously be branded by the Weathernation. Maybe we will finally get an hd version of active since we already got IACHD channel and will need a new design for weather information. I hope it is still true about the Weathermix Channel since Weather Channel is gone now and I wonder what the new tv app will be like. Anyone have any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

I think we could have a very good app that has nothing to do with TWC- but whether or not remains to be seen. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,829 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

A Weather Underground app would be awesome!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

A weather app would be very helpful.  Why not just take the one they had and rebrand it?

DirecTV customer since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

A weather app would be very helpful.  Why not just take the one they had and rebrand it?

Depends on what ownership TWC had in the app. Anywhere from 0-100%. I suspect anything above 0% would be a problem. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

A Weather Underground app would be awesome!

I'd love to have a Weather Underground app that can show my PWS on it, but I think they're owned by The Weather Channel. If that's the case, I can't imagine it will happen.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#7 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

I don't want this to be a discussion about the weather channel but about what you think the plans will be for the new weather app and active weather service which will obviously be branded by the Weathernation. Maybe we will finally get an hd version of active since we already got IACHD channel and will need a new design for weather information. I hope it is still true about the Weathermix Channel since Weather Channel is gone now and I wonder what the new tv app will be like. Anyone have any thoughts?

First I've heard about a Weathermix Channel. Any details??

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,920 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Since the installation of the HD TVapps, the choices of apps in this age of apps has in one word been pathetic.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

Dose anybody know who wrote the Weather app?

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

I would like a Yahoo weather app.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

Since the installation of the HD TVapps, the choices of apps in this age of apps has in one word been pathetic.

I second that, and since the weather app is gone, I do not use apps at all. At the minimum bring back the old NOAA apps we had before until something gets developed, unless of course there are no HD versions.

For our family, if there is no weather app, just scrap the apps completely and speed up the IRD's.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Dose anybody know who wrote the Weather app?

Hmmm ... I'd say look at the copyright/info page on the app to find out but that is no longer possible.

For reference the TWC branded app on DISH is copyrighted by EchoStar. But the branding and screen design matches TWC's "L" feed so I suspect it would need a fresh start - not just removing the brand logo. I suspect the same is true of the DirecTV app - regardless of who actually wrote it TWC owns part of the design.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

It should be easy to change the GUI part of the app but the data source could be a much bigger job.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

It should be easy to change the GUI part of the app but the data source could be a much bigger job.

If DirecTV can work from the old NOAA app it may help. Otherwise any attempt to "rework" would end up in court.
NOAA as a data source would be a decent replacement - unless WeatherNation wanted to personalize the results.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

I remember when this one got taken down, and I was missing it immediately as we used it all the time. It seems to me the developer took the high road. I would like to see it back.

http://www.yauws.com...v-tv-app/im-out

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

I agree, the current HD TV Apps are pretty lame. Though we've been told more HD TV Apps are coming they don't seem to be a high priority with DirecTV.

I second that, and since the weather app is gone, I do not use apps at all. At the minimum bring back the old NOAA apps we had before until something gets developed, unless of course there are no HD versions.

For our family, if there is no weather app, just scrap the apps completely and speed up the IRD's.

Bringing back the NOAA TV Apps would be nice. NOAA currently has HD Apps for iPad and iPhone but unfortunately no HD TV App. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,920 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

I agree, the current HD TV Apps are pretty lame. Though we've been told more HD TV Apps are coming they don't seem to be a high priority with DirecTV.

Bringing back the NOAA TV Apps would be nice. NOAA currently has HD Apps for iPad and iPhone but unfortunately no HD TV App. 

The NOAA TV App really should be mandatory on all new televisions and be provided by all rebroadcasters in some manner.

• Laxguy likes this

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...