Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FOX problem

Best Answer Stewart Vernon , 26 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

The yellow screen usually indicates a problem between where Dish picks up the OTA signal and the uplink to Dish satellites.  IF you had a SAT issue, you would see a SAT signal error message... IF there was a channel dispute or something, Dish puts up a slate.

Problems that could cause the yellow screen are not limited to weather issues... but in my experience local weather is usually a likely cause.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

I don't know if this is a problem with my Hopper or just with FOX or what.  I was just looking at two FOX programs - Rake which was recorded on Thursday night and Bones which was recorded on Friday night. There was not a weather event going on.  For some reason on both of these recordings the recording would pause and go to a yellow screen for a number of seconds and then resume.  

I quickly scanned another program that was on at the same time as Rake and didn't notice any problems.  I watched in its entirety another show that was on an hour later than Bones on NBC and saw no problems.  At the moment I am thinking there was a problem on these two days with the signal FOX was providing inside of Prime Time Anytime.  

Has anyone noticed this happening with FOX or any other channel?

Thanks,

Neil

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Yellow screen is sign of a lost signal between that station and Dish.

#3 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:26 AM

Yellow screen is sign of a lost signal between that station and Dish.

So, has anyone seen any reason why there has been a lost sign between FOX and Dish recently?

#4 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

I don't know if this is a problem with my Hopper or just with FOX or what.  I was just looking at two FOX programs - Rake which was recorded on Thursday night and Bones which was recorded on Friday night. There was not a weather event going on.  For some reason on both of these recordings the recording would pause and go to a yellow screen for a number of seconds and then resume.  

I quickly scanned another program that was on at the same time as Rake and didn't notice any problems.  I watched in its entirety another show that was on an hour later than Bones on NBC and saw no problems.  At the moment I am thinking there was a problem on these two days with the signal FOX was providing inside of Prime Time Anytime.  

Has anyone noticed this happening with FOX or any other channel?

Thanks,

Neil

What is your zip code? I have seen a similar report of a black screen every few seconds on a Fox station.

Tommy Faust
Social Media Representative
Sunday-Wednesday 6:00a-5:00p (MST)

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:59 AM   Best Answer

The yellow screen usually indicates a problem between where Dish picks up the OTA signal and the uplink to Dish satellites.  IF you had a SAT issue, you would see a SAT signal error message... IF there was a channel dispute or something, Dish puts up a slate.

Problems that could cause the yellow screen are not limited to weather issues... but in my experience local weather is usually a likely cause.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

What is your zip code? I have seen a similar report of a black screen every few seconds on a Fox station.

20716 (Maryland).

#7 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

20716 (Maryland).

Thanks! I am not showing any known issues right now in your area. Does the flashing happen on live TV, or only the recordings? Is there any text or error numbers you can see when it flashes?

Tommy Faust

#8 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Thanks! I am not showing any known issues right now in your area. Does the flashing happen on live TV, or only the recordings? Is there any text or error numbers you can see when it flashes?

I have so far only noticed it on those two recordings from Thursday and Friday evenings.  I have not noticed any test or error numbers, just the yellow screen which interrupts the video for a number of seconds.

#9 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

As Stewart mentioned, those screens are usually related to some form of signal loss. Without knowing the layout of your area and where the dish is I couldn't say exactly what could have caused it. I would keep an eye on it, and if it continues we can see about sending a report in to our operations team since it was only that one channel.

Tommy Faust

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

Was there any wind or rain/snow there last week Thur/Fri?

I can't remember what days it was when the weather system blew through.  Here in NC where I am there was barely enough snow to count as snow, but some did accumulate on the roof of my truck and on some tree leaves and shady spots.  I thought Virginia and Maryland got more... and of course places north got even more.

It's entirely possible to get weather that interferes locally with Dish's pickup/uplink of just one LiL and not all of them, depending on how they have their pickup points located.  I've seen it here where wind/rain can affect the LiL or maybe a couple of LiLs but nothing else.

That's my best guess as to what may have happened to you.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...