Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The New Explosion in Audio Books

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

From Wall Street Journal:

The New Explosion in Audio Books
How They Re-emerged as a Rare Bright Spot in the Publishing Business

The digital revolution may have dealt a heavy blow to print, but it is boosting literacy in other unexpected ways by fueling the explosive growth of audio books.

Once a static niche for aficionados renting clunky cassettes or CDs for their commutes, audio books have gone mass-market. Sales have jumped by double digits in recent years. Shifts in digital technology have broadened the pool of potential listeners to include anyone with a smartphone.

FULL ARTICLE HERE
  • Laxguy likes this
:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Other than hearing Uncle Remus telling the tale of Brer Rabbit or some other narrative where the "voice" of the narrator contributes to his identity, I can't for the life of me imagine how anyone could choose to ingest material at such a slow rate while necessarily giving it their full attention.

Edited by AntAltMike, 26 January 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

I tried a couple of audible books.  Never could adapt to them. The only time I have to listen is while driving -- and I immediately found that I couldn't pay attention to the book while driving.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Audio books can be extremely good. As an example, Frank Muller's reading of the Dark Tower series from Stephen King is a masterpiece of reading. Unfortunately after a serious accident, he was no longer able to work and died several years later so several books are read by someone else. With Muller, you knew who was talking just from the voice.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Other than hearing Uncle Remus telling the tale of Brer Rabbit or some other narrative where the "voice" of the narrator contributes to his identity, I can't for the life of me imagine how anyone could choose to ingest material at such a slow rate while necessarily giving it their full attention.

I am currently listening to A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire (Book 3) which is the third book in the Game of Thrones series. It is narrated by Roy Dotrice, and is quite excellent, with a unique voice for each character. The problem is that the first three books were released between December, 2003 and March, 2004, while the fourth and fifth books were released in 2011. From what I understand, a different audio book publisher was used, and they didn't make the time for Roy to go back and re-listen to the original voices.

There is a great way to find out though. One of the deal sites, Humble Bundle, currently has a deal from now until February 4th where, if you pay more than the average price of around $6, you get eight audio books in MP3 format. As far as I can determine, they are unabridged versions, and are HUGE downloads. The price range for ONE of those books, according to Audible, is $14.69 to $25.46, with the average price being $20.75.

The service that I use now is Audible (owned by Amazon). The monthly fee is $14.95 which, in turn, gives me one credit for the purchase of one book per month, which I have been using to purchase individual books the very expensive series such as Lord Of The Rings and Song of Fire and Ice. However, I would advise keeping a good eye on the daily deals which has a different book at a good price (usually $1.95 to $5.95), as well as making a wish list selection for sales. Their standard trial is one free book for 30 days, however, I suggest looking around the deal sites for special Audible offers.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

And, right now, I'm holding off on purchasing more audiobooks. The big issue is that I am in the middle of A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire (Book 3) and have 35 hours to go. Most typical unabridged audiobooks run for 6-12 hours, with some hitting maybe 16-20 hours. But, George RR Martin is not known for writing short books, and this third Game of Thrones book clocks in at 47 hours.

Right now, the number of Audible credits that I have is at 5, with the limit being 6 for the subscription plan that I am on. The next credit I get will be at the beginning of March, and then I have to spend a credit before the beginning of April. The only audio book purchases that I'm making are from the Daily Deals where the book can cost $1.95 to $5.95. Needless to say, I have a slight backlog.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,160 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

Audio books can be extremely good. As an example, Frank Muller's reading of the Dark Tower series from Stephen King is a masterpiece of reading [...] With Muller, you knew who was talking just from the voice.

Same with Jim Dale's "performances" of the American Harry Potter series. Jump to about 2 minutes in:

/steve

#8 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,128 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

I can understand listening to an audio book on a long drive through desolate areas. At home, I much prefer reading books on my Kindle or PC, as I can get through them much faster. I have also read books on my iPod Touch -- works well on an airplane in a cramped coach seat. There's no way I would fall asleep reading on the iPod; I have to change pages every 30 seconds or so.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

I do know that Audible has a feature called Whispersync which allows you to pick up your place between your audiobook and your Kindle. But, each has it's own place. And, there is no denying the fact that printed or Kindle books are cheaper than Audible or audiobooks.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,160 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

My library card links to a OneClickDigital account, which has thousands of current audiobooks available for download. You have to place holds, though, and wait your turn in queue, depending on the # of copies of the book your library actually paid for. Key is to have enough items on hold that something is always available.

/steve

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

From Paste:

Ice T Recording Dungeons and Dragons Audiobook

He survived the streets to co-invent gangsta rap, faced down a president or two angry at his song Cop Killer and dropped some of the dopest slang in rap history. But now rapper/actor Ice T says he has met his match: trying to nail geek-speak for a Dungeons & Dragons audiobook.

Call it the O.G. versus D&D.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

#12 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

From MASHABLE:

10 Free Audiobook Sites to Get Your Bookworm On

The Internet is overflowing with free audiobooks. On the wild frontier of the web, there are hundreds of sites ponying up downloadable literary works read out loud.

We've rounded up 10 great sites that offer thousands of (free!) titles, from classic literature to children's books to educational material.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,744 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

From New York Times:

Audiobooks and the Return of Storytelling

THE ferns under my oak trees evoke moments from “The Great Gatsby” for me. I read the book many years ago, but I listened to it last summer while planting 50 polypodium californicas and 50 festuca idahoensis in the dappled light beneath my oaks. Now, when I look at them, I think about that last awful accident, the yellow Rolls-Royce screaming past the repair shop, and what F. Scott Fitzgerald’s narrator called Gatsby’s extraordinary gift for hope.

The sale of audiobooks has skyrocketed in recent years. In 2012, total industry sales in the book business fell just under 1 percent over all, but those of downloadable audiobooks rose by more than 20 percent. That year, 13,255 titles came out as audiobooks, compared with 4,602 in 2009. Publishers seem to be paying more attention to their production. When Simon and Schuster published Colm Toibin’s “Testament of Mary” last autumn, the narrator was Meryl Streep.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

spam firewall