Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Genie HR44-700- Skip to tick issue?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drwdbs

drwdbs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

Finally got my first genie today- HR44-700, and I have noticed an issue with the buffers and using skip to tick to go forward/backwards.

Lets say I have a full buffer- i rewind all the way back to the beginning of the buffer, and use skip to tick to go forward 30 minutes at a time. If I start at say, 12:30, and want to use skip to tick to get to the 1:00 mark.

Instead of stopping at 1:00, it jumps ahead to 1:30. Does this every time, and also if I am skipping backwards.

So far, I haven't been able to resolve it- anyone else have this? is there a solution? I am hoping so because we do this kind of FF and REWINDING constantly...

Thanks...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

How exactly are you accomplishing skip to tick as there's two ways to do it. ;). I find hitting skip is better than press and hold.

#3 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

While the issue has been reported in various threads repeatedly, I haven't seen any official responses from mods that acknowledge the issue or say it's being worked on. I hope it gets fixed soon because I use skip to tick more than almost any other feature. Most of my daily TV watching is news and sports, and I live with live buffers (STT works as expected in recorded content) and like to back up and watch. Even knowing that there's a constant 4 second delay from command to response, it's still too confusing , especially when the live indicator is just after a Tick.

Frankly it continues to irk me that engineers are instructed by sales and marketing to develop new features before they fix basic and frequently used ones like this, features that used to work fine, btw. Sorry, I just needed to vent a little.

#4 OFFLINE   drwdbs

drwdbs

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

How exactly are you accomplishing skip to tick as there's two ways to do it. ;). I find hitting skip is better than press and hold.

I either rewind or fast forward 1x speed, then hit the skip to tick....

What are the two ways?

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

The First and original way was press and hold. I hate it.

#6 OFFLINE   drwdbs

drwdbs

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Finally got my first genie today- HR44-700, and I have noticed an issue with the buffers and using skip to tick to go forward/backwards.

Lets say I have a full buffer- i rewind all the way back to the beginning of the buffer, and use skip to tick to go forward 30 minutes at a time. If I start at say, 12:30, and want to use skip to tick to get to the 1:00 mark.

Instead of stopping at 1:00, it jumps ahead to 1:30. Does this every time, and also if I am skipping backwards.

So far, I haven't been able to resolve it- anyone else have this? is there a solution? I am hoping so because we do this kind of FF and REWINDING constantly...

Thanks...

I think I may have figured out my issue- when using skip to tick there is a delay, and I figured out that i was pushing it twice, thinking the first push did not take. But it really did take, so I was in essence doing a double skip to tick, which is why I was going forward in double increments.

Now I just hit the button once, and it eventually works. But the delay is super annoying- I hope this is something they can fix.

I am loving the Genie so far, but this part of it is definitely inferior to my HR24

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

Cool Man

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Its a known software bug, it will be fixed eventually. 

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

I think I may have figured out my issue- when using skip to tick there is a delay, and I figured out that i was pushing it twice, thinking the first push did not take. But it really did take, so I was in essence doing a double skip to tick, which is why I was going forward in double increments.

Now I just hit the button once, and it eventually works. But the delay is super annoying- I hope this is something they can fix.

I am loving the Genie so far, but this part of it is definitely inferior to my HR24

It could well be that your Genie is still in the process of downloading the Guide, and posters, so that the CPU is a bit taxed. I have no real delay on my HR44-200. 

Good luck, and enjoy!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   drwdbs

drwdbs

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

One more skip to tick question- on the Genie remote (RC71), how the heck do you do a backwards skip to tick?

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,727 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

One more skip to tick question- on the Genie remote (RC71), how the heck do you do a backwards skip to tick?

The "G" button just above rewind arrow will jump if you hold it down or press rewind arrow first and then press the "G" button.

Edit: Actually the button is a rewind  arrow that looks sorta like a "G".

Edited by jimmie57, 27 January 2014 - 08:50 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

spam firewall