Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Frozen Picture Audio Continues Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ndfan1993

ndfan1993

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

My HR34-700 over the past couple months has started to show some odd behavior. It started in November when I would pause live TV for an extended period of time, when I attempted to resume the paused program the audio would continue but the picture would be frozen. I thought this might just be related to a glitch for the network or the device and just restarted it and everything appeared fine. Starting on 12/31 I was attempting to record two live events while my wife and I were gone and came home to find that both showed that they had fully recorded but upon trying to watch them we could get 1 minute into the program before again it would continue the audio but the picture would be frozen. When attempting to fast forward or skip ahead the counter shows the correct skipping but nothing changes and eventually just gets to the end asking if you wish to delete the program. This has now happened on our local Fox, local NBC, ESPN, H2, FS1, and Fox Sports Midwest - so it doesn't appear to be tied to a specific station. I do have an AM21 plugged into it but I have tried unplugging it and still have the same results. I have restarted the machine several times hoping that it would fix the problem but it keeps cropping up. I have checked all the connections and run diagonistics with the HD passing all of the tests 100% without error. It has only happened on shows 1hr in lenght or longer thus far and only once has it froze outside of the first 1 min (it once froze in the last minute of a recording). It is really hit or miss and no way to seemingly know when it will occur. It also is not weather/reception related as in some of the instances other programs are recording at the same time and are just fine.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so - what is the exact problem and is there a solution.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,154 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Tons of people with this problem:

http://www.dbstalk.c...n/?hl= freezing

Have you tried the normal menu reset (twice within 30 minutes)? If not, try that first, then go to the above link and add your input.

if yes, go right to the link and post your input.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

Yes.  You described this problem accurately.  I have the same problem.  I seems to be different than the picture freezing and becoming completely pixelated.

This problem is the picture freezes (and is perfectly clear) and the audio continues.  This usually happens within one minute of a recording or when you pause live TV.  It seems to be unpredictable unless it is happening on live TV.  When it happens on live TV it follows the tuner and not the show.

If you try to FF or skip ahead then the program starts back at the beginning.  If you leave it alone, then the audio continues.  I haven't seen what happens if you just leave the audio playing until the end. 

#4 OFFLINE   ndfan1993

ndfan1993

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

I posted in the other thread as well but it did seem different and have been "reporting" the issue. I wonder if this is a tuner and if it is related just to the HR34-700 or a software update.

#5 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

when you tried to record the 2 live events on 12/31 were they at the same time?

#6 OFFLINE   ndfan1993

ndfan1993

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

when you tried to record the 2 live events on 12/31 were they at the same time?

No, which is why I wonder if it is tuner related as I have in some instances been recording 3 shows at the same time and only one was affected. The one thing I will say is that it has never happened with shows recorded on SD-Only networks.

#7 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Yeah, that makes me think it is tuner related also.  Your free tuner was affected that day.  Once it was freezing on live TV and the problem followed the tuner.  I activated double-play and tuned both to the same show and the problem continued on the affected tuner.  I would change channels and it would follow the tuner.  I could repeat the problem every time I changed the channel.  If I paused it and played the picture would freeze, but the audio would continue.

#8 OFFLINE   ndfan1993

ndfan1993

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

I know i have heard of heat related issues with the HR34 - wonder if it is frying one+ of the tuners and causing them to not work correctly?

#9 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

No, I think it is a directv problem.  My timeframe the timeframe you mention coincides with others on this problem.  It might be related to the pixelating problem that was mentioned above, but it is manifesting itself in a different way.  But who knows?  It seems pretty mysterious.

#10 OFFLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

Just a thought. Have you tried just unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI connection to see if it is a handshake issue, instead of rebooting the system?

#11 OFFLINE   sts7049

sts7049

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

i'm having a similar problem.  i just tried the two-reboot thing and will see if that helps.

spam firewall