Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does recording HDMI on a Hauppauge Colossus via a DirecTV HR34 no longer work?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

I've been using a Hauppauge Colossus internal card to record non-premium content since 2012. However, for the past several months it's been nearly impossible to record an HDMI signal. Has DirecTV made a software change to prevent this or is there a workaround? When I try to record a program I'm seeing a very lightly scrambled signal with color dots or a variety of green lines on-screen. To my knowledge DirecTV doesn't HDCP protect most channels which allows the HDMI pass through.

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue. Thanks in advance for the help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

HDCP is used on premium channels.  Not sure about others

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

It sounds to me more like a problem with your Colossus. The way HDCP works if the proper handshake does not occur you will get no image at all, not something that looks like scrambling from the analog days.

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

sounds like macrovision.  i know that recently some shows on non-premium channels have it, and i need to use a sima "video enhancer" to archive shows onto dvd.

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Sounds like a problem with either the Colossus or your HDMI cable (or cables/splitter if you are using one).  Bad HDMI cables/connections are known for causing weird colored lines or sparklies.

Macrovision is only on analog connections as far as I know.

HDCP is only supposed to be used on premium channels right now with DirecTV, but I think I might remember someone on here posting that one of the receivers was incorrectly putting it on everything, maybe one of the newer Genies or Genie Mini clients?  Either way your issue doesn't sound like HDCP as that should result in no picture at all.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Right, HDCP is enforced in the Genie minis all the time 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Go figure, I switched the HDMI cable and the issue resolved itself.

So if I upgrade to an HR44 with a Genie client will HDCP be enabled on everything for just the client or will HDCP be applied to everything on the HR44 as well?

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

On the HR44 is just on the premiums channels mostly, on the Genie client is on everything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...