Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sony TV interferes with genie

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   d56alpine

d56alpine

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Ever since we got our new Sony KDL-50R550A internet tv, we have not been able to connect it to our home network without it causing the remote client in our bedroom to crash.  We have a dvr in our living room with the genie and swm thing and a remote client in our bedroom.  When we connect the tv to our home network, the bedroom client gives us a blank screen.  The only way we can get directv to work again is to remove the tv from the network,  power off the client, go downstairs and do a red-button reset on the dvr and once that dvr is fully up and running we can return power to the client.  I'm sorry if this is a known defect, but all my searches returned nothing similar.  Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,700 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:33 AM

Try a reset of the Internet Router and see if that helps.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

I would also try updating the firmware of the TV.

http://esupport.sony...ad#/downloadTab

The page says a previous update had this fix, and it's possible you don't have the update that includes it:

Improved performance and stability of the Internet features

Not sure if it's related to your issue, it does seem strange they'd be related, but worth a try along with Jimmie's suggestion.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,947 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

If the above doesn't work, please post back with more detail on how things are connected. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

How are you connecting the TV to the LAN (please be specific)?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   d56alpine

d56alpine

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Thanks so much for the replies.  We are connecting wirelessly and will try the tv firmware update and report back.  

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

We are connecting wirelessly and will try the tv firmware update and report back.

You should also look for an update for the router firmware.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,809 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

I have the 60" version of that TV and back in May tried wireless and while it didn't connect with my G or N network, I didn't need it and just connected to the wired switch below.  There have been several firmware updates since then but I'm still wired with no problems.  The switch also provides the bridge to my HR34 and the DECA cloud.

If the updates above don't work, you might try getting a two way splitter, a DECA adapter and a couple of coax jumpers.  Plug the Ethernet from the DECA into the TV.  (this assumes you have an H or HR coax near the TV and it's bridged to the network.)

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,896 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

I have the 60" version of that TV and back in May tried wireless and while it didn't connect with my G or N network, I didn't need it and just connected to the wired switch below.  There have been several firmware updates since then but I'm still wired with no problems.  The switch also provides the bridge to my HR34 and the DECA cloud.

If the updates above don't work, you might try getting a two way splitter, a DECA adapter and a couple of coax jumpers.  Plug the Ethernet from the DECA into the TV.  (this assumes you have an H or HR coax near the TV and it's bridged to the network.)

We should mention that this is not approved by DirecTV 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Yes, it's unsupported, but it works.

#11 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,896 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Yes, it's unsupported, but it works.

I was not saying otherwise, just a word of "caution"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,947 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

I was not saying otherwise, just a word of "caution"

Understood. However, when you say it's "not approved", that conveys a different message that could be construed as "it'll void your warranty/brick your unit". I say could be. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,896 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Understood. However, when you say it's "not approved", that conveys a different message that could be construed as "it'll void your warranty/brick your unit". I say could be. 

Perhaps because that is what DirecTV wants you to believe 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

We should mention that this is not approved by DirecTV

What does DIRECTV approve for such a connection?

#15 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,896 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

What does DIRECTV approve for such a connection?

running you own ethernet cable to the non-DirecTV equipment  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Basically, DirecTV has decided to isolate their Ethernet needs to one connection to your home network.  Either a CCk or wireless CCK or wireless to  a 44.  They don't do Cat5 or cat anything.

Knowing the hodgepodge of home networks / routers, I think that was an excellent decision.

In the meantime, if you have an extra coax and need an Ethernet connection, get two powered decas on eBay (less than $10 each) and connect one to each end of said coax.  (or split existing coax as above - not supported!)

#17 OFFLINE   d56alpine

d56alpine

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Tried the firmware update and initially thought that all was well since we could turn off the genie and turn it back on and stay connected in the bedroom.  However, after sitting for awhile, I get the message "no servers found" and only a complete reset of the dvr and genie will get it up and running.  This happens every time we turn off the genie for more than a few minutes and started when we got this tv.

#18 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,700 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Tried the firmware update and initially thought that all was well since we could turn off the genie and turn it back on and stay connected in the bedroom.  However, after sitting for awhile, I get the message "no servers found" and only a complete reset of the dvr and genie will get it up and running.  This happens every time we turn off the genie for more than a few minutes and started when we got this tv.

There is only about 2 watts different in having the Genie on vs turning it off. Can you just not turn it off and then all your units work ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#19 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Quick question, how are you getting power to the TV and Genie?  Are you using a power strip/surge suppressor?  If so is it one of the ones that is made for "Saving Energy"?

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Knowing the hodgepodge of home networks / routers, I think that was an excellent decision.

In the meantime, if you have an extra coax and need an Ethernet connection, get two powered decas on eBay (less than $10 each) and connect one to each end of said coax.  (or split existing coax as above - not supported!)

In one paragraph you speak of a "hodgepodge" and in the next, you define it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...