Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Uverse v. DTV

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

We are constantly receiving Uverse TV offers. Is AT&T Uverse to pare or better than DTV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

I took a test drive of U-verse "figuring" the PQ would suck.

It turned out not to, but their DVR sure did.

• 1953 likes this
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Did you stay with AT&T?

#4 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

Does Uverse still not have NHLNetwork?

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#5 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:36 AM

It's worth mentioning there are a few major channels that they do not carry at all:
  • NHL Network
  • Hallmark 
  • Hallmark Movie Channel

There are also various limitations with the product; I will list a few notables:
  • No OTA tuner or add on module available (e.g. AM-21) on their receivers/DVRs
    • U-Verse carries even less OTA sub channels then D*
  • 4 TV streams total (depending on your profile that could be 2SD/2HD, 3HD/1SD or 4HD/0SD)
  • They add channels (at random) to your guide even when you have previously hid them

Some notable sports subscription packages they do not offer:
  • NFL ST
  • MLB EI
  • MLS DK
  • NHL CI

• 1953 likes this

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

Did you stay with AT&T?

I dropped the TV service before my 30 day trial was over.

They had a piece of bad hardware on their end of the fiber, which caused my equipment to drop off the network.

It wasn't bad for internet [to wait], but was a pain with the TV.

I spent too many hours on the phone with their CSRs and had many techs out, and finally threw in the towel as it just wasn't worth my time.

About three months later they fixed the problem on their end.

Between the service run around and the crappy DVR, "U-verse" is a "cluster f***" and not the old AT&T I've been used to.

• 1953 likes this
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

We are constantly receiving Uverse TV offers. Is AT&T Uverse to pare or better than DTV?

No Uverse in some are awful. You need to very close to a VAR. I had it until it went out for 14 hours one Saturday.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   texas16309

texas16309

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Give Uverse a shot. They offer a 30-day free trial.

I signed up with them in Oct of last year. The service has been rock solid.The DVR I received is very small - the Pace IPH 8005. It measures 9.8"x6.1"x1.6". It's much faster than the Genie I had. My wireless clients in the bedrooms are also significantly faster than the mini genie clients. I can't stress that enough. For picture quality I'd give Uverse a 4 out of 5 while DirecTV a 4.5 out of 5. 

What I don't miss about DirecTV is rain fade. I got rain fade in Texas almost every time it rained even though my signal was in the 90s. Also, ATT doesn't charge a whole DVR home fee. At my level of programing they don't charge a DVR fee and they waive the HD fee (U450). I also like how fast the channel changes are. I'm limited to 3hd/1sd but I haven't ran into a problem with it. My friends down the street have 4hd/0sd for their streams. So it's distance limited. However, people on Gigapower here in Austin have 5hd streams with six on the way from what I've read.

What I miss about DirecTV is the music channels. I hate MusicChoice mainly because they have ads showing as they play music. I also hate the organization of the channels in the Uverse guide. SD is at one end of the guide, HD is at the other end. But I hope some of this will change since Ericsson bought Mediaroom from Microsoft. It seems Microsoft let the product go stale. There's no Youtube app, Pandora, or the like.

I'm not into sports so there's nothing I'm missing there. They have all the HD channels I watch. But really, only you can decide. I really like it.

• 1953 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Discovered AT&T does not have fiber optic here so. The signal would be through coxial. Would that be a great detriment?

#10 OFFLINE   texas16309

texas16309

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

The way it usually works is fiber to the neighborhood VRAD node. From the VRAD the signal goes over telephone cable to your house. From the house over a home run cable to the Uverse gateway. My home run is cat 5 and my gateway is a Motorola NVG589. From my gateway my DVR is on coax. The other two receivers are wireless. The tech would have used cat 5 to my DVR but I didn't have one close. Coax is working fine for within the house. I may run a cat 5 or 6 to the DVR but I'm not in any rush. The wireless boxes are just as fast as the wired and the picture looks just as good.

My install took about four hours. But I think that was because I didn't have any ATT services at all so he had to do work at the VRAD box and outside my house. I'm on a bonded pair but my friends in the neighborhood are on a single pair. That means my install uses two phone lines. Again, my service has been solid and I couldn't be happier (minus the few annoyances). My installer even left all my DTV cables intact minus the one he needed for the DVR run.

• 1953 likes this

#11 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

In my area, Carlsbad CA, it's affectionately known as "ScrUverse" because they screw you out of picture quality and internet speeds. Both are awful here and we were one of the first in the country (or so we were told) to be offered this service.

Then figure in the "it's not IF but WHEN AT&T screws up" factor and it just screams stay away.

• 1953 likes this
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

I have uverse for internet and voice and it works wery well. as for outages I have no problem but know people around here that have outages on the TV part. I had the tv for 90 days as a test, the limit of 3 channels in HD at once is a killer for us in the winter. I can record 6HD at a time with DirecTV and watch a 7th. Also with Uverse the internet slows down when watching HD channels. I guy at work can only get 2 HD at once so when recording one and watching one his second TV can not be used. Over all it is a good service If you dont watch a lot of TV at once or a small famly.

• 1953 likes this

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

Discovered AT&T does not have fiber optic here so. The signal would be through coxial. Would that be a great detriment?

As mentioned there is fiber to the VRAD and twisted pair from there.

The Apartment utility room was where it came in and first round was twisted pair to the apartment, but in their attempts to fix their problem, they changed over to using the coax to the apartment.

I was so close to the VRAD that the modem received 64 Mb/s, but "my profile" was 32 Mb/s.

I could record 3 HD and watch another HD but didn't have DVR functions, so no pausing.

Internet was 12 Mb/s and I didn't see any impact from the TV service.

"Service" turned out to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I had excess of 30 hours on the phone trying to get the dropped connection resolved.

Had the source been anywhere from the VRAD to my apartment, it would have been resolved, but with it being on "their end" of the fiber, whoever dealt with that side were in a "black hole" that no one could get to look at their problem.

Three months working with the area manager before "the switch" was replaced.

My "first clue" about U-Verse being different from AT&T:

Moving in I had internet and POTS service, but no dial tone.

Several calls explaining I had no dial tone and all they said was "the line tested good".

Two days later "the phone tech" found they'd NEVER connected my line at their B box in the street.

Internet yes, but phone NO.

A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

We have AT&T Uverse Voice and very high speed Uverse Internet. The bottom fell out of the fiber optic market before any was installed in our area of Dallas County. Of course, we have DTV. Been with DTV for about 13 years. I am simply looking for a less expensive alternative. DTV is as near flawless as I think is possible. AT&T is on the radar ONLY because I MAY could reduce all of our media costs. Time will tell. Will not make an uneducated decision. :)

Edited by 1953, 29 January 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

I called Directv last summer and told them what the latest uverse TV offer I was sent and directv beat it and added in Sunday Ticket. It is best to call and ask you have nothing to lose.

• 1953 likes this

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#16 OFFLINE   NashGuy

NashGuy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

I just switched a couple of weeks ago from AT&T U-verse to DirecTV. Had U-verse for about a year. I had Dish for about four years prior to U-verse. I had heard a lot about U-verse and finally decided to switch to them in early 2013 after I realized all of the rebates I could get. If you sign up online using certain links, you can get a bigger rebates from AT&T than if you just go straight to their site. (Most expensive is if you call or visit a store to sign up.) On top of the main rebate for committing to a year of TV plus internet service, I stacked an AT&T refer-a-friend rebate, a Coupon Cactus rebate, an AT&T paperless billing rebate, plus rebates from Showtime and Starz. It was a lot of hoops to jump through but they added up to around $400 I think, on top of a $50 discount each month off my combined TV and internet bill. I had HD DVR service with a ton of channels, including Showtime and Starz for a year, plus HBO and Cinemax for six months. When you divided out all the rebates evenly across 12 months of service, my effective monthly TV bill averaged about $37 for all that (plus another $56 for internet). It was a *great* deal.

That said, I was never as pleased with the picture quality of U-verse as I was with Dish. With U-verse, images tended to be softer, pixelation and macroblocking during action scenes were worse, and there would be occasional pixelations in part of the screen for no apparent reason at all. It wasn't really bad, I certainly got used to it, but there's no question that the picture quality was inferior. Still, given the deal I got, it was worth trying for a year.

I did have problems with the first DVR they gave me, which was their top-of-the-line one at the time. The screen would go black or freeze randomly. A tech came out, rechecked everything in my installation after a week or so of service but could find nothing wrong. He told me if the problems persisted, I'd have to swap out my DVR. They did, so I did. Had no problems with the second DVR, although it was the next model down; the user interface was the same as the first DVR but the second one had less capacity. After that, U-verse was very reliable for me. Unless the power went out, my TV and internet never went out. I found AT&T's customer service to be great. Was also impressed with their website and its account management features.

Seeing as how my bill was about to really go up, I switched to DirecTV with a two-year commitment for TV and back to Comcast for internet. So far, I love DirecTV. The HD picture quality is great. I think it may even be slightly better than Dish. It's way better than U-verse. And I really like the Genie DVR. Slick interface with multiple tuners plus I like the recommendations feature. The selection of HD On Demand content for premium channels (Showtime, etc.) is definitely better than what U-verse offered, although U-verse did offer HD On Demand content for the major broadcast networks, whereas DirecTV only has SD stuff from them. The Genie is better than the DVR I had with U-verse or the old VIP-720 I had with Dish (neither of which were bad). And I'm getting much faster internet for less money with Comcast too than what I had with U-verse. Plus I can use my own higher speed wireless router with Comcast internet. With U-verse, you have to use their "gateway" they rent you, which is a combined modem and router and only offers 802.11g (not the faster n) wireless.

So while I don't regret trying U-verse, given the money it saved me, I wouldn't switch back. If HD picture quality is really important to you, go with either DirecTV or Dish.

• 1953 likes this

#17 OFFLINE   texas16309

texas16309

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

I guess ATT has been changing out to newer equipment over the past year. I have a Pace dvr which came out mid to end of last year. The dvr software is the same though. My gateway is a Motorola NVG589. It has 802.11n and a pass through mode if you want to use your own router. Also speed is up to 45/6 if you are within a certain distance from the VRAD. I had uverse years ago and it was pretty bad. Lots of pixelation and such. But, as others have noticed, I only see it on fast scenes. I've tweaked my TV and Uverse generally looks fine for pretty much all viewing situations. But DirecTV's picture wasn't perfect either. To each his own.

• 1953 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   ndfan1993

ndfan1993

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

I found their online DVR management to be second to none - big step down from Uverse. The picture quality wasn't as good in my opinion but overall had a great experience with Uverse. We never had a problem with their DVR. The big downside with it is the number of tuners and the storage space on Uverse if that is something that really is a big deal to you.

• 1953 likes this

#19 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

I was so close to the VRAD that the modem received 64 Mb/s, but "my profile" was 32 Mb/s.

I could record 3 HD and watch another HD but didn't have DVR functions, so no pausing.

It's my understanding that 3HD shows recording is an equipment limitation, not a "profile" or speed limitation.  From what I have read, their DVR is limited to recording 3 HD streams and 1 SD stream at once ("record 4 shows at once") even if you have a 4HD profile.

Edited by terryfoster, 05 February 2014 - 06:54 AM.

• 1953 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

It's my understanding that this is an equipment limitation, not a "profile" or speed limitation.

If you look into the modem/router, you'll see your "profile" [their term] is the limit.

32 Mb/s was their highest [when I had service] and talking with a supervisor I heard they were looking at 48 Mb/s.

The increase was for internet usage and not more TV service/channels.

Recording 3 HD programs does seem to be limited by the DVR as when watching a 4th on the receiver lost DVR functions. Being able to watch a 4th HD show surprised me as it was more than I'd been told I could.

The 24 Mb/s profile is limited to two HD.

"The profile" is established during the installation with what your line will support.

• 1953 likes this
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...