Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All American Direct Ceasing Operations (Feb 25th)

Distant Networks

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:37 AM

"All American Direct will cease operations on February 25th 2014 at 11:59 pm. At that time our services will no longer be available. All customers with time remaining on their service will receive a prorated refund by check or credit card. For further information please refer to the FAQ tab on this page."

http://www.allamericandirect.com/

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is All American Direct closing?
The need for our services has declined over the years since local markets have become available.

How can we receive distant network channels?
We know of no options at this time

How can I get my local channels?
Dish Network provides local channels to all markets in the United States
Please contact Dish Network at 1-800-333-dish.

What about the money I paid for service?
If you have money left on account a prorated refund will be issued.

When can I expect my refund?
If you paid by credit card your refund should appear on your account within 3 business days.
If you paid by check a refund should be received in the mail no later than March 31st.

Why does the refund take so long?
Because of the large number of refunds being issued

What about using my Dish Network service while traveling in my RV?
Please contact Dish Network regarding this option at 1-800-333-DISH

Where can I find more information?
Please continue to visit this website
Questions can be emailed to: questions@mydistantnetworks.com
Our call center can be reached at 1-800-909-9677

What about my monthly credit card auto pay?
It will be prorated to deliver service through 2/25/14.

Can I start new, renew, or reactivate service?
We are no longer able to accept new, renew or reactivate customers as of 1-27-14
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:44 AM

The above is from the All American Direct / My Distant Networks website.
A couple of comments ...

"How can we receive distant network channels? - We know of no options at this time"
Apparently no one has told AAD about DirecTV. :)

"What about using my Dish Network service while traveling in my RV? - Please contact Dish Network regarding this option at 1-800-333-DISH"
Hopefully this is a sign that DISH will resume offering distants to RV customers (the DISH feeds are still uplinked).

BTW: This really doesn't help DISH bandwidth wise. While AAD leased a transponder from DISH on 119 DISH has had several of their own SD channels on that transponder. (164 FUSE, 358 SUND, 382 EPIX3, 393 PRST, 408 FOXSD, 413 PAC12, 873 BEIN2) It basically frees up four SD channels.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:27 AM

That's sad to read though it's been years since I last used them. I'd still like to be able to subscribe to East Coast broadcast network channels but in HD. Guess that will never happen again along with no CBC Olympics coverage like back when I got my big dish. The good old days....
  • Oltimer likes this

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

For a news junkie like myself, this hurts.  Would the waiver option for distant networks be available with DirecTV?

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

For a news junkie like myself, this hurts.  Would the waiver option for distant networks be available with DirecTV?

They are if you are not covered by one of the big four, PBS or CW.  If you get even a SD version from your DMA offered, then you are not able to request for a waiver.  If a waiver option is available, you should be able to get it because that would mean there is no affiliate for that station in your DMA meaning no one to deny it.

I guess there are DMA's that DirecTV does not supply locals too so there are some exceptions to that.  Also there would be very few who get DNS for all 4.  Mostly just the one or ones you are not able to get in your local package that DirecTV offers.  If I knew a zip code to check, I could give much more specific information on DNS availablility for DirecTV.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#6 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the response.  I actually have the big four in my area (NY).  Like I said, being a news junkie, I enjoyed watching the different affiliates from Frisco.  Oh well, maybe someday, there will be a market for us news aficionados.  Still have the superstations so they will have to suffice, sigh.

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

"How can we receive distant network channels? - We know of no options at this time"
Apparently no one has told AAD about DirecTV. :)

"What about using my Dish Network service while traveling in my RV? - Please contact Dish Network regarding this option at 1-800-333-DISH"
Hopefully this is a sign that DISH will resume offering distants to RV customers (the DISH feeds are still uplinked).......

1. Direct TV does not help many who had AAD. Direct TV can not give Distants to those in a White area in most every case. Alot of us who used AAD are in white areas where Satellite can not give us Distants. It would take a Waiver, these days very hard to get.

2. No solid evidence but I am betting DISH will go back to Distants for RV and Truckers.

#8 OFFLINE   peg645

peg645

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

Just joined the forum because of this issue.

Have always had DISH at this house, initially getting the NYC/LA network channels via All American Direct. Never signed up for local channels once they became available on DISH. My home is located between Utica and Albany, and my location is just on the Utica side of the FCC "line". So I would be required to receive the local broadcasts from Utica. I do more business/have more involvement in Albany, and can pick up at least their NBC & FOX channels with a small roof antenna that is connected to the bedroom TV only. But at least it allows me to grab local news/weather, see NBC/FOX shows. When I first moved here, there was a large antenna mounted on my roof that picked up all channels from both Utica and Albany. Eventually the large antenna blew over, and I only replaced it with a smaller one as the big one was really aesthetically unappealing.

So having just read the notice about All American Direct, looks like I'll have to succumb to receiving Utica channels if I want to see all networks. Called DISH, and asked would I be required now to sign a contract to add local channels? Yes and no. No just to include the local channels, but alas, I have old equipment, would have to buy new, and sign up for two years.  :down:

So this stinks, let alone that I've loved getting NYC, and even LA local network channels. It's also been great having two different times I can catch the live broadcast when my DVR is filled up and I don't wish to record.  ;)

Have no desire to sign a contract, or set up a huge antenna. 

Apologize for the long explanation. But if anyone knows any alternative to my situation, would love to hear one.

Am wondering if I could buy newer compatible equipment direct online, etc., to avoid a contract...?

I otherwise really have no DISH complaints. Well, except for their still failing to broadcast Yankee games.  :rolleyes:

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:05 AM

Like I said, being a news junkie, I enjoyed watching the different affiliates from Frisco.  Oh well, maybe someday, there will be a market for us news aficionados. 

If you have the bandwidth and speed, look into Roku and some of the news options there.  Many local stations are carried from all over the country.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#10 OFFLINE   ljr01

ljr01

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

I was about to get a Winegard 1000SK (WA only) dish installed on my RV on the assumption I could fall back to AAD in the increasing number of areas with EA only locals. Bad assumption. I really don't want to spend all that $ on the roof top dish and still have to carry a portable around too.

Finger crossed that this motivates either Dish to offer DNS again or Winegard to support the EA.

(How many times has the RV/DNS situation changed without notice? I've lost count but I'm guessing 4 or 5.)

Edited by ljr01, 30 January 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

Just joined the forum because of this issue.

So having just read the notice about All American Direct, looks like I'll have to succumb to receiving Utica channels if I want to see all networks. Called DISH, and asked would I be required now to sign a contract to add local channels? Yes and no. No just to include the local channels, but alas, I have old equipment, would have to buy new, and sign up for two years.  :down:

So this stinks, let alone that I've loved getting NYC, and even LA local network channels. It's also been great having two different times I can catch the live broadcast when my DVR is filled up and I don't wish to record.  ;)

Have no desire to sign a contract, or set up a huge antenna. 

Apologize for the long explanation. But if anyone knows any alternative to my situation, would love to hear one.

Am wondering if I could buy newer compatible equipment direct online, etc., to avoid a contract...?

I otherwise really have no DISH complaints. Well, except for their still failing to broadcast Yankee games.  :rolleyes:

I do have a suggestion. I have to believe the reason they are telling you the need to get new equipment to get your locals is because they are on the Eastern Arc, while you are presently on the Western Arc. Your equipment must be old enough that is is not compatible with the Eastern Arc. (And sometime in the future won't be on the WA either) That is important because if you push a little you should get the receivers needed to get locals with no contract extension. You may have to pay some for them to change your satellite dish. If you want beyond what the considered replacement is for your receivers, then you may have to extend your contract. However even at that, I am hearing with the demand for the Hopper, if you want a VIP receiver like a 722 or 612 if you have been with DISH awhile and pay on time, you still may be able to avoid a contract extension.

Edited by tampa8, 30 January 2014 - 08:40 AM.

• peg645 likes this

#12 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

I hope dish offers dns again because i am grandfather and it will be in hd as well.

Edited by comizzou573, 30 January 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   peg645

peg645

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

I do have a suggestion. I have to believe the reason they are telling you the need to get new equipment to get your locals is because they are on the Eastern Arc, while you are presently on the Western Arc. Your equipment must be old enough that is is not compatible with the Eastern Arc. (And sometime in the future won't be on the WA either) That is important because if you push a little you should get the receivers needed to get locals with no contract extension. You may have to pay some for them to change your satellite dish. If you want beyond what the considered replacement is for your receivers, then you may have to extend your contract. However even at that, I am hearing with the demand for the Hopper, if you want a VIP receiver like a 722 or 612 if you have been with DISH awhile and pay on time, you still may be able to avoid a contract extension.

That sounds like an idea. Since I could care less about upgrading my equipment for the time being, I'd be glad to take one of the other models.

And no, SayWhat? - unfortunately I have DISH because I'm out in the middle of nowhere - no TimeWarner, no Verizon high speed. Nothing. Use Exede for internet, and have limited usage monthly. 

#14 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

I am calling dish to see what is the plan for people who want distant networks. The representative ask me "what is distant networks" I tell her its channels I currently subscribe to from "all american direct" and "my distant networks." She tells me what is all american direct or my distant networks, I never heard of that before. That is further I got so far, waiting to speak with supervisor now lol. They hung up on me now : )

Representative #2: Doesn't know what it is either, I find this hard to believe. No wonder all american direct is pulling their plugs from dish network. Its a 2 way street need to help out one another, but one company is doing poor job of making its customer aware that dns is available through all american direct.

Looks like dish has no plans to provide dns to its customer : (

Edited by comizzou573, 30 January 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

Thanks SayWhat?  Am actually checking out Roku-they do have some local news there from different areas.  Maybe I will spring for the box and who knows what will happen after that?  In this day of DVRs, I can't believe that there are not others out there who would want the distant networks more for the local news and items specific to a given community that you see on them.  I do not see how this would compete with viewership of hometown locals on which we watch or DVR our favorite shows.

#16 OFFLINE   peg645

peg645

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

Great news! :)

I called DISH, advised I was on the fence about keeping them. (I had been, and have been having conversations with them in recent times mulling over the decision.)

Then asked if I didn't require the Hopper, could I get updated equipment that would provide the local channels with no contract?

They have waived the contract commitment, and are giving me The Hopper! I'm dropping one box which I rarely use, so my bill will still be the same. 

Now if I could get Albany channels, and Yankee games, my TV life would be perfect, but this will do. ;)

#17 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

God this sucks.  14 yrs of having distants an thats it?  Man.  Hopefully I'll come into some $ an get an RV.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#18 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

With the Hopper you will get the locals assigned to you by the FCC via Neilson, but if you want any OTA (over the air/antenna) locals you will have to buy an OTA adapter that plugs into the Hopper USB.

One cannot be ordered from Dish until after the Hopper is activated, but you might find one on Amazon or eBay, just be sure it is for the Hopper, not the 722K, they are different.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#19 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

I hope dish offers dns again because i am grandfather and it will be in hd as well.

Bad news, no one can be Grandfathered with DISH. When Distants were taken away so was anyone who was Grandfathered.

#20 OFFLINE   sharonmu

sharonmu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

Finally i found the topic. This really sucks. Because first off. I went with dish for superstations. They took that away on the 19th of september. I then paid up til april of this year for all american direct now its going away. I had all of the distant networks on directv. LA & NY. and changed for this. & even had the HD versions also on directv. And now if i went back to directv. I could get distant networks but would only be East coast lost my chance with Los Angeles.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...