Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All American Direct Ceasing Operations (Feb 25th)

Distant Networks

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Lou

Lou

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

I have noticed 61.5 has the Big 4 in a numbre of markets on Conus (not Spots).  Is this new? Because of one massive tree, I can only get the Western Arc.  If Dish offered the same on the Western Arc, I see options.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,800 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

There are about a dozen channels testing (6146-6159) that have been there for at least a year. Three of each network as if DISH was planning some sort of distants service (Denver and Chicago on 61.5, New York on 72.7). In the current test mode (which the stations have never left) they are not available to subscribers.

The other "big four" network stations are only for subscribers living in the markets those stations serve.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

I dont want to give out the wrong information, but I just saw at satelliteguys.us. Someone mention that SatelliteGuys might buy All American Direct. They said they got this information for Dish Network Representative. I spoke with someone through chat, it sounds like it might be true.

Edited by comizzou573, 04 February 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Would be great if it happened by February 25.  Otherwise I am probably going to get a Roku.

#30 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Sounds like roku and aereo is the new movement for tv.

Edited by comizzou573, 04 February 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,854 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

I dont want to give out the wrong information, but I just saw at satelliteguys.us. Someone mention that SatelliteGuys might buy All American Direct. They said they got this information for Dish Network Representative. I spoke with someone through chat, it sounds like it might be true.

Wait that website is saying they are going to buy America direct?

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,800 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

Wait that website is saying they are going to buy America direct?

It was a joke posted by someone. And now back to reality ...
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#33 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

The original post was not a joke. My response there was joke, in response to the two people who apparently believe it and believe they are somehow grandfathered to get Distants from Dish should they offer them to households.

Edited by tampa8, 05 February 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

So Satellite Guys is really buying or All American Direct? If you have a RV, then I understand why you are not grandfathered, but household is different. One thing to do is call dish and ask them if your receiver is grandfathered to receive distant networks. They will look more into your account, and tell whether or not you are grandfathered.

Edited by comizzou573, 05 February 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

There is no such thing as a Grandfathered DISH customer for Distants.

• EchoStar may not claim that any Grade B subscriber is "grandfathered" under SHVIA because it could not produce a list of such subscribers. (SHVIA did not provide any grandfathering for Grade A subscribers.)

http://www.kalb.com/...atellite-waiver

And that doesn't even address that DISH (nor Direct) can give you Distants if you have your locals available from them, even if you can not get locals OTA. You would need a waiver from the affiliate that was obtained by DISH (Must be obtained by DISH) on your behalf. Good luck getting that.

Edited by tampa8, 05 February 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

I respect where your getting information, I got mines from the FCC. So I am going by there most updated information they have, my waivers are from the affiliate. I just called dish to verify they still have my waivers on file, and they do.

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,800 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

I respect where your getting information, I got mines from the FCC. So I am going by there most updated information they have, my waivers are from the affiliate. I just called dish to verify they still have my waivers on file, and they do.

That is an interesting response. Part of DISH's past problems with distants was that they would not provide accurate records of who were qualified to receive distants. Somehow they could not provide a list of subscribers yet they have a record of your waivers?

From what I can tell, in most cases grandfathering ends when the customer elects to no longer have distants. DISH ending delivery of distants is not the customer electing to no longer have distants. The law is rather complicated with different dates and ways of being grandfathered - but accurate records from DISH are a key.

DISH's current distant offering is channels of DISH's choice in short markets so every market in the US can have each network. The law does not guarantee the customer THEIR choice of channels - nor require a carrier to offer the service at all. It just sets forth a framework if the provider decides to offer distants.

In my personal opinion I do not see DISH offering distants to home viewers other than DISH's choice of channels in short markets. The only service I would expect them to offer is an RV/Commercial vehicle service. It is a lot easier to manage than individuals with multiple layers of waivers.

BTW: The law concerning the deliver of distants can be found at the following link:
http://www.law.corne...ode/text/17/119

#38 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Too bad DISH won't offer them to those that want them.  If the locals were willing to waive, it would seem that it would mitigate any concern about a local affiliate losing viewers of their programming to those who want distant networks.  There is definitely interest in distant networks judging by the responses here and those who would be willing to pay extra for them.  This could be an additional source of revenue to both DISH and the networks.

#39 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,854 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Very few will waive their consent though. Much fewer than would probably want then.

#40 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

I was talking to dish representative, and they said they need at million subscribers who want distant networks, in order for dish to put it back. It sounds like directv is the best bet. I wish directv will offer a deal like if your receiver is grandfather to receive distant networks and superstation with dish, we will make sure we do the same with you if you move over to us today. If this happen I would leave dish in a instant.

#41 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 613 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:31 AM

Rumors abound. One being that refunds would be issued on a prorated basis. Confusing since AAD clearly warned upfront when renewing (1 month, 6 months, 1 year) that NO refunds would be issued. If there is an ounce of truth to this perhaps DISH is getting involved in some way...which might account for, as James has mentioned above, the NY, Chicago & Denver stations being in TEST in HD. The only way I see DISH continuing to offer such a service would be to hand off the accounts to a 3rd party like AAD...a party that does NOT currently offer "locals". I personally think the "grandfathered" issue is a dead horse regardless of what a CSR tells a customer. To be continued, I'm sure!

#42 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

Doesn't work that way. Simple contract law. You signed a contract (and it is a contract) and part of the contract is no refunds. Well the other part of the contract is AAD will supply the service. Since they can't fulfill the contract obviously they have to refund the unused part.

Edited by tampa8, 06 February 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#43 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

I was talking with dish, this is what they had to say they are testing the ny, chicago, and denver locals on 61.5 and 72 and has nothing to do with distant networks. They are planning to stop old receivers and upgrade people who has to be upgraded. They want to completely stop SD signals on all locals cross country and just provide HD locals. They are going to put all locals on the 61.5 for western arc and 72 eastern arc. I am not sure how this will play out for Hawai'i because we cant even get the 61.5 or 72.

Edited by comizzou573, 06 February 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   Lou

Lou

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Denver’s big 4 on 61.5 doesn’t make sense when all other Denver locals are on 129.

Comizzou573 says “put all locals on the 61.5 for western arc”. I have a tough time with that.  How hard is 61.5 to get on the West Coast?  If that’s where the locals are going, then it makes more sense to aim at the entire Eastern Arc vs. having a second single focus dish on top of your triple focus dish which is getting the balance of your channels.  And in that case, why have a Western Arc?

#45 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

You people have to stop listening to CSR's, better yet stop asking them they have no idea about this.

#46 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

I was talking with dish, this is what they had to say they are testing the ny, chicago, and denver locals on 61.5 and 72 and has nothing to do with distant networks. They are planning to stop old receivers and upgrade people who has to be upgraded. They want to completely stop SD signals on all locals cross country and just provide HD locals. They are going to put all locals on the 61.5 for western arc and 72 eastern arc. I am not sure how this will play out for Hawai'i because we cant even get the 61.5 or 72.

That will not work because my dish only picks up 110, 119, and 129.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#47 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

We have our HD locals on 61.5 and when I had a WA setup plus the wing dish for 61.5, PTAT did not work properly because the SD locals were on WA, half of the time it would skip ABC and NBC altogether, occasionally it would record all 4 sometimes it would record part of one of the big 4 then drop the last 2 hours other times it would record the SD version, sometimes the HD version.

Dish finally just switched me to EA totally with a D1000.2 EA on 61.5 and 72.7 because our SD locals were also there and we have had absolutely no more problems with PTAT.

Maybe if they drop the SD locals totally and just have the HD locals on EA a mixed arc set up would work with PTAT.

It took them about a month to figure out what to do about people here in Lubbock getting such crappy results on PTAT with HD locals on 61.5 and SD locals on 110.

Edited by Jim5506, 08 February 2014 - 11:13 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#48 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,800 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Rumors abound. One being that refunds would be issued on a prorated basis. Confusing since AAD clearly warned upfront when renewing (1 month, 6 months, 1 year) that NO refunds would be issued.

I assume that warning would apply if the customer decided to cancel the service ... not the service provider ending all service. The refund is NOT a rumor. It is clearly stated on the my distant networks website.

If there is an ounce of truth to this perhaps DISH is getting involved in some way...which might account for, as James has mentioned above, the NY, Chicago & Denver stations being in TEST in HD.

Those channels have been there for a long time ... DISH also has Chicago, Denver, New York and Los Angeles HD locals uplinked to 148. With all but New York also uplinked in SD. Which would be exciting if DISH had a satellite at 148. The uplinks have been there since August 2012.

The uplinks are nothing to get excited about. At least not this year.

#49 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Denver’s big 4 on 61.5 doesn’t make sense when all other Denver locals are on 129.

Comizzou573 says “put all locals on the 61.5 for western arc”. I have a tough time with that.  How hard is 61.5 to get on the West Coast?  If that’s where the locals are going, then it makes more sense to aim at the entire Eastern Arc vs. having a second single focus dish on top of your triple focus dish which is getting the balance of your channels.  And in that case, why have a Western Arc?

They are planning to put all hd locals on 61.5 and 72, and remove sd locals completely. I am guessing this way it will make more capacity for major hd programmings on the 129, 110, and 119 by doing such move. The only locals I see staying on 119 is Hawaii and Alaska, if they decide to keep them after making such move. Then again, its not even a guarantee that dish will make such move, because they are factoring in the pros and cons.

Edited by comizzou573, 09 February 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,800 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

They are planning to put all hd locals on 61.5 and 72, and remove sd locals completely. I am guessing this way it will make more capacity for major hd programmings on the 129, 110, and 119 by doing such move. The only locals I see staying on 119 is Hawaii and Alaska, if they decide to keep them after making such move. Then again, its not even a guarantee that dish will make such move, because they are factoring in the pros and cons.

So that is absolutely what DISH will do unless they don't do it. Got it.

Locals on 72 would be counterproductive as it would create a satellite arc that is more congested than the Western Arc. DISH's current problem would not be solved ... it would just be shifted to the other arc and DISH would still have no space for more HD. The solution "they" are planning (quoted because that "they" cannot be DISH) is not workable.

DISH is adding some local HD markets to Eastern Arc ... but in no way is there a mass move of all locals from Western Arc to Eastern Arc. So the last part of your post is correct ... DISH is not going to do it.

But way to go predicting conflicting actions would occur so regardless of what happens you'll be right! :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...