Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All American Direct Ceasing Operations (Feb 25th)

Distant Networks

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Why did you lose your chance with Los Angeles? They can legally sell them to you if you qualify for Distants generally. Is that their own policy?

What they can't do is sell East Coast Distants to time zones to the west.

Why do you say the took away the Superstations from you? Subscribers are Grandfathered.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

No, Sharon has had the misfortune of NOT being subscribed to superstations by the deadline of sept 19th.  Found out that news a lil too late an can now, no longer get them.  Sometimes life throws u curve balls

I dont know what she's talkin about in regards to not getting LA DNS from Directv.  Its my understanding NO-one is eligible for DNS on DIrectv unless u have NO local stations at all, available on directv.  I myself have fallen victim to directvs strong stance of trying to eliminate every customer who has DNS.  I even had waivers granted but wasnt able to continue the service.

The only silver lining I can see in the future now, because of all this, is once Superstations are taken away permanently, I'll be able to cancel Dish and save some $$.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#23 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

Why did you lose your chance with Los Angeles? They can legally sell them to you if you qualify for Distants generally. Is that their own policy?

Why do you say the took away the Superstations from you? Subscribers are Grandfathered.

You can not have both east and west coast DNS feeds.

#24 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Got that, but can have LA. Post said lost chance at LA. Both is another story. That is assuming you would even qualify.

#25 OFFLINE   sharonmu

sharonmu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

The reason being is when i decided on dish. Directv told me your grandfathered in for LA & NY (east & west coast) Also got standard def & High defintion. ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC but once i changed to dish & directv said if i ever remove them i won't get them back & now If i ever go back to directv. I could only get the east coast because i won't be grandfathered. Also i had CW baltimore & another one san diego. . Cause that law started and if your not grandfathered. Then your out of luck. I have east & west coast feeds now on All American Direct. But they are going to be gone. The reason i'm able to get them there's no local channels in my area. So i got waivers for both feeds. Because my area had lexington kentucky. And its so far away. Really my news isn't lexington. But for some unknown reason. the cable tv service ( time warner cable) sells cable tv & i'm close enough get this one for Knoxville TN ( i guess called significant channels) all of them plus lexington kentucky. I wish all american direct unless directv changed 6 months from when i went with dish would realize there was other options getting DNS if your grandfathered. I loved directv. I would still have All of them distant networks cause i was grandfathered. There customer service was nice enough to tell me if i ever remove them i can't get them back.

Edited by sharonmu, 04 February 2014 - 12:25 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   Lou

Lou

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

I have noticed 61.5 has the Big 4 in a numbre of markets on Conus (not Spots).  Is this new? Because of one massive tree, I can only get the Western Arc.  If Dish offered the same on the Western Arc, I see options.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

There are about a dozen channels testing (6146-6159) that have been there for at least a year. Three of each network as if DISH was planning some sort of distants service (Denver and Chicago on 61.5, New York on 72.7). In the current test mode (which the stations have never left) they are not available to subscribers.

The other "big four" network stations are only for subscribers living in the markets those stations serve.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

I dont want to give out the wrong information, but I just saw at satelliteguys.us. Someone mention that SatelliteGuys might buy All American Direct. They said they got this information for Dish Network Representative. I spoke with someone through chat, it sounds like it might be true.

Edited by comizzou573, 04 February 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Would be great if it happened by February 25.  Otherwise I am probably going to get a Roku.

#30 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Sounds like roku and aereo is the new movement for tv.

Edited by comizzou573, 04 February 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

I dont want to give out the wrong information, but I just saw at satelliteguys.us. Someone mention that SatelliteGuys might buy All American Direct. They said they got this information for Dish Network Representative. I spoke with someone through chat, it sounds like it might be true.

Wait that website is saying they are going to buy America direct?

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

Wait that website is saying they are going to buy America direct?

It was a joke posted by someone. And now back to reality ...
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#33 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

The original post was not a joke. My response there was joke, in response to the two people who apparently believe it and believe they are somehow grandfathered to get Distants from Dish should they offer them to households.

Edited by tampa8, 05 February 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

So Satellite Guys is really buying or All American Direct? If you have a RV, then I understand why you are not grandfathered, but household is different. One thing to do is call dish and ask them if your receiver is grandfathered to receive distant networks. They will look more into your account, and tell whether or not you are grandfathered.

Edited by comizzou573, 05 February 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

There is no such thing as a Grandfathered DISH customer for Distants.

• EchoStar may not claim that any Grade B subscriber is "grandfathered" under SHVIA because it could not produce a list of such subscribers. (SHVIA did not provide any grandfathering for Grade A subscribers.)

http://www.kalb.com/...atellite-waiver

And that doesn't even address that DISH (nor Direct) can give you Distants if you have your locals available from them, even if you can not get locals OTA. You would need a waiver from the affiliate that was obtained by DISH (Must be obtained by DISH) on your behalf. Good luck getting that.

Edited by tampa8, 05 February 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

I respect where your getting information, I got mines from the FCC. So I am going by there most updated information they have, my waivers are from the affiliate. I just called dish to verify they still have my waivers on file, and they do.

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

I respect where your getting information, I got mines from the FCC. So I am going by there most updated information they have, my waivers are from the affiliate. I just called dish to verify they still have my waivers on file, and they do.

That is an interesting response. Part of DISH's past problems with distants was that they would not provide accurate records of who were qualified to receive distants. Somehow they could not provide a list of subscribers yet they have a record of your waivers?

From what I can tell, in most cases grandfathering ends when the customer elects to no longer have distants. DISH ending delivery of distants is not the customer electing to no longer have distants. The law is rather complicated with different dates and ways of being grandfathered - but accurate records from DISH are a key.

DISH's current distant offering is channels of DISH's choice in short markets so every market in the US can have each network. The law does not guarantee the customer THEIR choice of channels - nor require a carrier to offer the service at all. It just sets forth a framework if the provider decides to offer distants.

In my personal opinion I do not see DISH offering distants to home viewers other than DISH's choice of channels in short markets. The only service I would expect them to offer is an RV/Commercial vehicle service. It is a lot easier to manage than individuals with multiple layers of waivers.

BTW: The law concerning the deliver of distants can be found at the following link:
http://www.law.corne...ode/text/17/119

#38 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Too bad DISH won't offer them to those that want them.  If the locals were willing to waive, it would seem that it would mitigate any concern about a local affiliate losing viewers of their programming to those who want distant networks.  There is definitely interest in distant networks judging by the responses here and those who would be willing to pay extra for them.  This could be an additional source of revenue to both DISH and the networks.

#39 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Very few will waive their consent though. Much fewer than would probably want then.

#40 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

I was talking to dish representative, and they said they need at million subscribers who want distant networks, in order for dish to put it back. It sounds like directv is the best bet. I wish directv will offer a deal like if your receiver is grandfather to receive distant networks and superstation with dish, we will make sure we do the same with you if you move over to us today. If this happen I would leave dish in a instant.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...