Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All American Direct Ceasing Operations (Feb 25th)

Distant Networks

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:31 AM

Rumors abound. One being that refunds would be issued on a prorated basis. Confusing since AAD clearly warned upfront when renewing (1 month, 6 months, 1 year) that NO refunds would be issued. If there is an ounce of truth to this perhaps DISH is getting involved in some way...which might account for, as James has mentioned above, the NY, Chicago & Denver stations being in TEST in HD. The only way I see DISH continuing to offer such a service would be to hand off the accounts to a 3rd party like AAD...a party that does NOT currently offer "locals". I personally think the "grandfathered" issue is a dead horse regardless of what a CSR tells a customer. To be continued, I'm sure!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

Doesn't work that way. Simple contract law. You signed a contract (and it is a contract) and part of the contract is no refunds. Well the other part of the contract is AAD will supply the service. Since they can't fulfill the contract obviously they have to refund the unused part.

Edited by tampa8, 06 February 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#43 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

I was talking with dish, this is what they had to say they are testing the ny, chicago, and denver locals on 61.5 and 72 and has nothing to do with distant networks. They are planning to stop old receivers and upgrade people who has to be upgraded. They want to completely stop SD signals on all locals cross country and just provide HD locals. They are going to put all locals on the 61.5 for western arc and 72 eastern arc. I am not sure how this will play out for Hawai'i because we cant even get the 61.5 or 72.

Edited by comizzou573, 06 February 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   Lou

Lou

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Denver’s big 4 on 61.5 doesn’t make sense when all other Denver locals are on 129.

Comizzou573 says “put all locals on the 61.5 for western arc”. I have a tough time with that.  How hard is 61.5 to get on the West Coast?  If that’s where the locals are going, then it makes more sense to aim at the entire Eastern Arc vs. having a second single focus dish on top of your triple focus dish which is getting the balance of your channels.  And in that case, why have a Western Arc?

#45 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

You people have to stop listening to CSR's, better yet stop asking them they have no idea about this.

#46 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

I was talking with dish, this is what they had to say they are testing the ny, chicago, and denver locals on 61.5 and 72 and has nothing to do with distant networks. They are planning to stop old receivers and upgrade people who has to be upgraded. They want to completely stop SD signals on all locals cross country and just provide HD locals. They are going to put all locals on the 61.5 for western arc and 72 eastern arc. I am not sure how this will play out for Hawai'i because we cant even get the 61.5 or 72.

That will not work because my dish only picks up 110, 119, and 129.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#47 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

We have our HD locals on 61.5 and when I had a WA setup plus the wing dish for 61.5, PTAT did not work properly because the SD locals were on WA, half of the time it would skip ABC and NBC altogether, occasionally it would record all 4 sometimes it would record part of one of the big 4 then drop the last 2 hours other times it would record the SD version, sometimes the HD version.

Dish finally just switched me to EA totally with a D1000.2 EA on 61.5 and 72.7 because our SD locals were also there and we have had absolutely no more problems with PTAT.

Maybe if they drop the SD locals totally and just have the HD locals on EA a mixed arc set up would work with PTAT.

It took them about a month to figure out what to do about people here in Lubbock getting such crappy results on PTAT with HD locals on 61.5 and SD locals on 110.

Edited by Jim5506, 08 February 2014 - 11:13 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#48 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Rumors abound. One being that refunds would be issued on a prorated basis. Confusing since AAD clearly warned upfront when renewing (1 month, 6 months, 1 year) that NO refunds would be issued.

I assume that warning would apply if the customer decided to cancel the service ... not the service provider ending all service. The refund is NOT a rumor. It is clearly stated on the my distant networks website.

If there is an ounce of truth to this perhaps DISH is getting involved in some way...which might account for, as James has mentioned above, the NY, Chicago & Denver stations being in TEST in HD.

Those channels have been there for a long time ... DISH also has Chicago, Denver, New York and Los Angeles HD locals uplinked to 148. With all but New York also uplinked in SD. Which would be exciting if DISH had a satellite at 148. The uplinks have been there since August 2012.

The uplinks are nothing to get excited about. At least not this year.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#49 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Denver’s big 4 on 61.5 doesn’t make sense when all other Denver locals are on 129.

Comizzou573 says “put all locals on the 61.5 for western arc”. I have a tough time with that.  How hard is 61.5 to get on the West Coast?  If that’s where the locals are going, then it makes more sense to aim at the entire Eastern Arc vs. having a second single focus dish on top of your triple focus dish which is getting the balance of your channels.  And in that case, why have a Western Arc?

They are planning to put all hd locals on 61.5 and 72, and remove sd locals completely. I am guessing this way it will make more capacity for major hd programmings on the 129, 110, and 119 by doing such move. The only locals I see staying on 119 is Hawaii and Alaska, if they decide to keep them after making such move. Then again, its not even a guarantee that dish will make such move, because they are factoring in the pros and cons.

Edited by comizzou573, 09 February 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

They are planning to put all hd locals on 61.5 and 72, and remove sd locals completely. I am guessing this way it will make more capacity for major hd programmings on the 129, 110, and 119 by doing such move. The only locals I see staying on 119 is Hawaii and Alaska, if they decide to keep them after making such move. Then again, its not even a guarantee that dish will make such move, because they are factoring in the pros and cons.

So that is absolutely what DISH will do unless they don't do it. Got it.

Locals on 72 would be counterproductive as it would create a satellite arc that is more congested than the Western Arc. DISH's current problem would not be solved ... it would just be shifted to the other arc and DISH would still have no space for more HD. The solution "they" are planning (quoted because that "they" cannot be DISH) is not workable.

DISH is adding some local HD markets to Eastern Arc ... but in no way is there a mass move of all locals from Western Arc to Eastern Arc. So the last part of your post is correct ... DISH is not going to do it.

But way to go predicting conflicting actions would occur so regardless of what happens you'll be right! :rolleyes:
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#51 OFFLINE   ljr01

ljr01

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

So that is absolutely what DISH will do unless they don't do it. Got it.

Locals on 72 would be counterproductive as it would create a satellite arc that is more congested than the Western Arc. DISH's current problem would not be solved ... it would just be shifted to the other arc and DISH would still have no space for more HD. The solution "they" are planning (quoted because that "they" cannot be DISH) is not workable.

DISH is adding some local HD markets to Eastern Arc ... but in no way is there a mass move of all locals from Western Arc to Eastern Arc. So the last part of your post is correct ... DISH is not going to do it.

But way to go predicting conflicting actions would occur so regardless of what happens you'll be right! :rolleyes:

Upon encountering EA HD locals near Little Rock and Kansas City while traveling in an RV, I called Dish tech support and was told that "eventually" all locals east of a n/s line through central Texas would be EA only.

If that is incorrect it certainly wouldn't be the first time I was misled by a Dish CSR but she sounded like she knew what she was talking about.

Accurate info on the subject is of particular interest to me as I am about to spend significant $ on a WA only Winegard SK-1000.

Edited by ljr01, 10 February 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#52 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

You are right Lou, those of us on the left coast would not be able to get locals if put on 61.5.  Comizzou must be smoking something.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#53 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

You are right Lou, those of us on the left coast would not be able to get locals if put on 61.5.  Comizzou must be smoking something.

call the tech support at dish and ask them about the testing of the denver and chicago locals on the 61.5 they will tell you.

Edited by comizzou573, 10 February 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

call the tech support at dish and ask them about the testing of the denver and chicago locals on the 61.5 they will tell you.

Chicago locals are not testing on 61.5. Chicago locals are available on 61.5 ... and have been for many years. Chicago is one of the several markets in HD on both arcs. Chicago has 17 local channels carried by DISH, 14 in HD.

Denver locals are not on 61.5 - not even testing. Denver has 16 local channels carried by DISH, 14 in HD.

#55 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

With the abundance of prime time shows available online (see CBS website for one) I still do not understand the fear of the local operators to allow distants to be offered to those who would want them.  The growing online availability of prime time shows (and even newscasts) via streaming is probably more of a threat to the locals than an operation like AAD, which at the very least, could provide them with some of the $$$ that I was sending to AAD.  I guess I am missing something.

#56 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

With the abundance of prime time shows available online (see CBS website for one) I still do not understand the fear of the local operators to allow distants to be offered to those who would want them. The growing online availability of prime time shows (and even newscasts) via streaming is probably more of a threat to the locals than an operation like AAD, which at the very least, could provide them with some of the $$$ that I was sending to AAD. I guess I am missing something.

I agree. One biggie is look at the exposure these distant channels will have from all cross the country.

#57 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

I agree. One biggie is look at the exposure these distant channels will have from all cross the country.

Exposure that they cannot contractually have. Each network signs an affiliation agreement with each of their local stations ceding territory to each station where that station has first run rights to the programming the network airs. If the station chooses not to air all of the programming the network can find another station for the content in question. Offering a national feed cuts in to those rights.

Yes, the networks offer streaming from their websites ... but it is done under their affiliation agreements. And while more that 50% of television viewers stream some content during each week, the primary source if television content remains linear television channels. It is the easiest way for the most people to get the content. (If streaming is so easy, why do people want distants?)

Distants are offered without the permission of the networks or the stations involved. Carriers offering distants simply must follow the law as to who they deliver distants to and pay a statutory fee. No negotiation or carriage disputes. But the laws are written in a way that supports the affiliation agreements. If you can get a local affiliate (or should be able to by predictive OTA reception or in market satellite carriage) the law doesn't give you distants.

I am surprised that AAD lasted as long as it did ... with DISH offering locals in every market and AAD's customer base being DISH customers. SD feeds competing against local HD doesn't help the battle to stay alive. But now the time has come to say goodbye. And hope that something is worked out for the people who need distants (RV/commercial vehicle).

#58 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

SD is fine because it is fun to see stations from dust ant places. So a station in SD is fine.

#59 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

This sucks. Just reactivated an old 512 to record the shows I normally record on the west coast feed this will add ten bucks to my bill. This will also be the first tine since 2003 I will be without a west coast feed of the four networks. An era has truly come to an end.......

#60 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

Would it be cheaper to go with a hopper instead of adding another box?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...