Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All American Direct Ceasing Operations (Feb 25th)

Distant Networks

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:30 AM

Umm... what?

How would an east coast feed of a game allow someone to cheat?  Are they still showing west coast games on tape delay?  I thought that was done decades ago...  I'm not even sure what any part of that rant has to do with this topic actually.

I talk to a Dish Rep he said too manying people back when Echostar had East coast live feed 3 hours ahead of west coast were getting early score so they were betting on game. now as a viewer I can careless why you took them just bring them back. what I don't get is why the FCC let Time warner and comcast meger and not Dish and Directv? anyone Really this is a Real Question anyone???

Edited by dish556, 10 March 2014 - 03:32 AM.

• thomasingram2nd likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:42 AM

I talk to a Dish Rep he said too manying people back when Echostar had East coast live feed 3 hours ahead of west coast were getting early score so they were betting on game. now as a viewer I can careless why you took them just bring them back. what I don't get is why the FCC let Time warner and comcast meger and not Dish and Directv? anyone Really this is a Real Question anyone???

What year do you live in 1814? Unless the game scores on the east coast are being sent to the rest of the world by pony express or stagecoach would you be correct.

• Michael P and sigma1914 like this

#83 ONLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

I too, do not understand the most recent rant about the game scores.  However, I do miss my West Coast distants.  Roku is a somewhat adequate substitute for the local news that I liked from the distant feeds although I do miss the SF local news affiliates!!  Also, it is hard to figure out what channels are actually showing live news programming on Roku and yes, I do miss the commercials as well.

I recall that a court order barred Dish from offering distant net feeds, hence the offering from All American Direct in 2006 I believe.  Maybe someday, if the local affiliate is willing to give permission in the form of a waiver,  subscribers to Dish who would like to watch a West Coast feed would be able to do so.  The number of posts here would seem to be indicative of some interest in having this service.

#84 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

I too, do not understand the most recent rant about the game scores.  However, I do miss my West Coast distants.  Roku is a somewhat adequate substitute for the local news that I liked from the distant feeds although I do miss the SF local news affiliates!!  Also, it is hard to figure out what channels are actually showing live news programming on Roku and yes, I do miss the commercials as well.

I recall that a court order barred Dish from offering distant net feeds, hence the offering from All American Direct in 2006 I believe.  Maybe someday, if the local affiliate is willing to give permission in the form of a waiver,  subscribers to Dish who would like to watch a West Coast feed would be able to do so.  The number of posts here would seem to be indicative of some interest in having this service.

It'll take alot more than a little interest.  Local affiliates are not gonna give a waiver to anyone in their area to watch duplicate programming from another DMA.  Even if one was to say to watch news elsewhere, the local affiliate would just say its not local news to you.  I don't see this one happening in any other way than Significantly Viewed anytime in the near future.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#85 ONLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

Well I did have waivers from all four of the majors when I had All American Direct.  Not to say that other affiliates in other areas of the country may not be as willing but it would seem to be worth asking about rather than just assume that no affiliate would ever give a waiver out.  If they deny the waiver, (which did happen to me for the first number of years from one of the local affiliates), then I would understand why we can't have them.  But if the locals are willing to grant them, which was my experience, then why not offer distants?  Particularly if those affiliates who would ostensibly suffer a loss of viewers are willing to allow it.

#86 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Well I did have waivers from all four of the majors when I had All American Direct.  Not to say that other affiliates in other areas of the country may not be as willing but it would seem to be worth asking about rather than just assume that no affiliate would ever give a waiver out.  If they deny the waiver, (which did happen to me for the first number of years from one of the local affiliates), then I would understand why we can't have them.  But if the locals are willing to grant them, which was my experience, then why not offer distants?  Particularly if those affiliates who would ostensibly suffer a loss of viewers are willing to allow it.

One reason why is you are not able to request a waiver if there is already an affiliate of the big four in your DMA then you are not able/eligible to request for a waiver.  It has to be for a network that is not offered in your DMA at least not offered by your carrier.

HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#87 ONLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

Yes, well that is a part of the law or regulation that I will never understand.  We have always had an affiliate of the big four in our area (Long Island) and they were all quite willing to give me waivers via All American Direct to allow me to watch the west coast feeds, which I used mostly for their local news.  I can't quite figure out why if my local affiliate is willing to give me something, I am not eligible to ask.  Just doesn't make sense.

#88 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Yes, well that is a part of the law or regulation that I will never understand.  We have always had an affiliate of the big four in our area (Long Island) and they were all quite willing to give me waivers via All American Direct to allow me to watch the west coast feeds, which I used mostly for their local news.  I can't quite figure out why if my local affiliate is willing to give me something, I am not eligible to ask.  Just doesn't make sense.

The NAB will tell you it has to do with Localism.  The idea is to have the big 4 in every DMA to ensure you are getting local to you news, weather and sports content.  With the local affiliate getting add revenue to get commercials to people in the defined DMA, they are not overly willing (now days anyways) to let you get that from another affiliate.  Significantly Viewed is an option that does not matter that its duplicate programming and its a close by affiliate too if they are on the list as Significantly Viewed.

There are problems with just letting people pick another market for locals.  One would be that it would do away with the need for specific out of market sports packages.  Everyone would just call and change their locals to the market wanted for that days game.  Even if you could buy your markets locals and an additional market for a set additional price, I think the local affiliates would see a decline in add revenue as the adds would not be reaching the eyes originally intended too.  Distants were never designed to just give you additional programming from somewhere else in the country.  That definitely is not the intent now for sure.

Alot of people with DirecTV (me included) had the distants before their market offered LIL and were just allowed to keep them once their market launched their DMA's locals.  Dish had their distants taken away originally because they were giving it to people who did not meet the criteria to get them in the first place.  I dont think there is a satellite company out there that can afford to make all local channels available nationally to anyone who wants to pay for them. 

Sony KDL-46HX800

#89 ONLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the explanation, needless to say after having distants since 1999, my viewing habits were significantly impacted.  The sports meant zero to me and I agree that it would be unwise to allow people to call and change their markets on a given game day.  However, a west coast option at an additional charge, subject to waivers from the locals would be a nice thing to be able to offer, if for nothing else than the novelty alone.  I think that the people that operate Roku understand this, hence the offerings of local news via Livestream, Nowhere TV, etc.  

• dish556 likes this

#90 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the explanation, needless to say after having distants since 1999, my viewing habits were significantly impacted.  The sports meant zero to me and I agree that it would be unwise to allow people to call and change their markets on a given game day.  However, a west coast option at an additional charge, subject to waivers from the locals would be a nice thing to be able to offer, if for nothing else than the novelty alone.  I think that the people that operate Roku understand this, hence the offerings of local news via Livestream, Nowhere TV, etc.  

Agreed, I love having west coast locals too.  It allows me to schedule later recordings if needed.  With a Genie that does not happen often but occasionally it does.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#91 OFFLINE   thomasingram2nd

thomasingram2nd

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, California

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

Not true. DISH can legally provide superstations as defined and permitted in the relevant laws. If a local station complains about syndicated content DISH must black out the content they complain about - and it is easier to black out the entire channel than keep track of per market blackouts on the superstations - but DISH can provide the stations.

WGN is no longer a superstation. They ceased being a superstation years ago when they created a special feed just for satellite systems. The channel satellite subscribers receive nationwide is "WGN America". WTBS Atlanta went the same path splitting off their local TV station from the satellite fed "TBS" feed.

The WGN9 feed continues to serve the Chicago market as a local station.

Thank James.  I had a feeling I left a bunch out on the super station.   :righton:

#92 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

do people with C band sat's have too live by the same rules that we do? or are they free too rip off all paid channels>?

#93 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Nearly all, if not all, commercial signals on C band are encrypted.

Edited by Jim5506, 11 March 2014 - 03:08 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#94 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

I just proved that KU and C bands are unencrypted and that people can get east coast feed on the west coast and getting free paid channel!

#95 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

I just proved that KU and C bands are unencrypted and that people can get east coast feed on the west coast and getting free paid channel!

SOME KU and C band signals are unencrypted. It would take the appropriate FTA satellite system to receive the signals.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...