Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replacing failed internal drive - HR20

drive replace HR20

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

I have an HR20 with a 2TB external hard drive attached.  I noticed yesterday that the internal drive seemed to be making ominous clicking noises.  I did a controlled power down (reset, wait for blue ring to go off, pull power), waited 45 mins or so and then re-powered.  On power-up the DVR gets stuck in a loop of "Welcome to DirecTV"->"Almost there, just a few more seconds"->"Welcome to DirecTV".  While it would appear that the internal drive is no longer working additional, specific diagnostic suggestions would be appreciated if you have them.

I really don't care about recovering the contents of the internal drive but I would hate to lose all of the recordings that I have on the external drive.  I also make use of the OTA tuner in the HR20.  For these reasons I would prefer not to have to call D* for a replacement.  If I were to replace the internal drive with a blank one, would the system manage the formatting and such to the point that the box would boot up and the external drive would be accessible?  I'm aware of the helpful docs on this site explaining such disk replacement.

Thanks.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

Just pull the internal drive, if it's an owned unit.  You don't need it for the external to work.  In fact once you plugged the external in the HR20 stopped using the internal completely.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

When you did the "controlled power down" was the external drive connected to the HR20?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

When you did the "controlled power down" was the external drive connected to the HR20?

Yes. it was (and still is).  Was that a mistake?

Edited by Tubaman-Z, 30 January 2014 - 08:29 AM.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#5 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

Just pull the internal drive, if it's an owned unit.  You don't need it for the external to work.  In fact once you plugged the external in the HR20 stopped using the internal completely.

If the internal drive is no longer used, why would the box fail to boot?  (I'm not questioning your assertion, just trying to understand).

Edited by Tubaman-Z, 30 January 2014 - 08:29 AM.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#6 ONLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

If the internal drive is no longer used, why would the box fail to boot?  (I'm not questioning your assertion, just trying to understand).

Its probably just probing all attached hardware.  You could try disconnecting the internal drive.

#7 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Its probably just probing all attached hardware.  You could try disconnecting the internal drive.

Fair assumption.  I'll give it a try to disconnect the internal drive and report back.  I'm currently rebooting with the external drive powered off but don't expect any different results.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

When it boots it checks all hardware.  Any hardware failure will stop the boot and give you an error.  The internal drive is still there so it is being checked on boot. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

After finding my Torx security bits I opened the (vintage 2007) HR20, unplugged the internal drive, gently vacuumed up the dust bunnies as long as the box was open, reconnected everything, powered up the external drive, and after a bit powered up the DVR.  Boot up went fine, rebuilt the scheduler list, and now all is well.

Thanks so much for the quick and useful help.  And also the education about the check for, but complete uselessness of the internal drive.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

After finding my Torx security bits I opened the (vintage 2007) HR20, unplugged the internal drive, gently vacuumed up the dust bunnies as long as the box was open, reconnected everything, powered up the external drive, and after a bit powered up the DVR.  Boot up went fine, rebuilt the scheduler list, and now all is well.

Thanks so much for the quick and useful help.  And also the education about the check for, but complete uselessness of the internal drive.

Um, if you bothered to unplug the internal, Id have just swapped the internal for the external and made it all cleaner...

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

nay, don't bother ... it's cooler, than use internal

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

uh, it cuts down on electricity and potential points of failure.  and its cleaner to install.

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

uh, it cuts down on electricity and potential points of failure.  and its cleaner to install.

Let him dream.  :D

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Um, if you bothered to unplug the internal, Id have just swapped the internal for the external and made it all cleaner...

Thanks - good thought.  If I ever find the need to open the DVR again I may install the external drive.  As for cleaner - the cabling and external drive is all within a well ventilated cabinet, so aesthetics are not an issue.  And it was frankly simpler to just plug back in the eSATA cable. (admittedly not simpler from a wiring diagram perspective)

Again - I appreciate all of the help on this thread - thanks folks!

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drive, replace, HR20

spam firewall