Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Had the Best Upgrade Experience

DTV

Best Answer Beerstalker , 31 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

Sounds like a great experience.  However, I am pretty sure the tech was wrong about the HR44.  As far as I know it is the only one in the HR series that can do IR and RF at the same time, which may be why the tech was wrong.  The HR44 only works in RF with the new RC71 remote though, so if you are using an older remote they won't work in RF period.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

Most of the comments posted are about bad installs and other poor service. This is not one of them. While I have had more than my fair share of sub par work down by DTV contractors over the years, what with missed appointments, failure to bring equipment, knowledge of how to install and on and on, today was not one of them.

The tech called early, telling me he'd be here in 2 to three hours. One and a half hours, he arrived. Actual DTV van, wearing DTV uniforms. Not the red 'free candy' van and salvation army clothing. Good!

He gave me a brand new HR-44 DVR, not a well used refurb. He knew what he was talking about. Certain aspects of my current install, he wanted to upgrade. I wanted to move the old HR-24 DVR up stairs and put the new HR-44 DVR down stairs. Happy to do it. Went through, ensured my static IPs stayed. Generally ensured everything was perfect.

The original reason for the call to DTV was because the plain HR-22 in my bedroom was pixelating on HD channels. Not a big deal but bothersome. I called DTV and the CSR noted I was a long time customer and offered to replace the unit and upgrade to a second HD DVR at no charge. No second DVR fees. Whole Home could not be free but she gave me a $10.00 a month credit for 12 months, just about covering three and a half years of the whole home fees. No install costs, no replacement costs. Yes, I had to agree to a 24 month contract however, DTV is the best (and only game) in town.

FYI - The tech told me the HR-44 could not run both IR and IF simultaneously. I confirmed it with a look at the setup. Maybe the next gen HR54.......

KUDOS DTV

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:47 AM   Best Answer

Sounds like a great experience.  However, I am pretty sure the tech was wrong about the HR44.  As far as I know it is the only one in the HR series that can do IR and RF at the same time, which may be why the tech was wrong.  The HR44 only works in RF with the new RC71 remote though, so if you are using an older remote they won't work in RF period.

Edited by Beerstalker, 31 January 2014 - 10:48 AM.

• FHSPSU67 likes this
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#3 OFFLINE   bigbw

bigbw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

I can use both types of remotes with my HR44, and the newer one is set to RF, the older one to IR..

#4 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

The remote they left me with is a RC71. I took the techs word on it.

So... I changed the HR-44 setting to RF. The RC71 works wirelessly (on the HR-44, not my Rotel audio amp of course). Also, my Harmony 650 IR remote woks fine too. So I mis-spoke before. Yes, the HR-44 HD DVR, if set to RF, still works on IR. I hope DTV does not do a software update and remove that ability. In my home, the living room TV and the kitchen TV are fed from the same box through a HDMI splitter. It was stinky that I could not control the DTV box in the kitchen. Now I can!

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,066 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

I can use both types of remotes with my HR44, and the newer one is set to RF, the older one to IR..

Agree, no problems with my HR44-700 with the RC71 in RF and RC65 in IR mode.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Not to burst your bubble, but no one gets charged a second DVR fee, that's per account. There is an additional receiver fee of $6 a month. Hoping you were made aware of that by the CSR.

#7 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

LOL, no bubble to burst. I did not think I'd get hit with a second DVR charge. I was just making sure

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,217 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

The THR22 and the HR44 both support IR and RF control without having to choose.

That other HD devices don't is very likely a "business decision".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Ok.. so the tech was wrong about the remote. No doubt he is told not to discuss that 'feature'. All I care is that I can do RF and IR at the same time on the HR-44. My wife grooves on having control in the kitchen, out of sight of the IR repeaters.

Being the HR-44 is connected via CAT 6 to my network, it communicates to the other box over the COAX. At my bedoorm HR-23, he installed a DECA(???) that has an ethernet socket. That socket gets connected to the ethernet socket on the HR-23. Oddly, the tech also connected the existing CAT6 cable that goes into my home network (to port 2 of the HR-23). I removed that cable. I checked the living room HR-44. At first, it did not show the Bedroom playlist. But then after a few seconds, it came up.

I also looked at my network mapping and it appears unchanged.

Am I correct in the assumption that that old ethernet connection in my bedroom is not needed at all (due to DTV doing ethernet over COAX) and the tech just was not thinking? Everything had worked fine, it seems to work fine with it removed.

Edited by William1, 03 February 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#10 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

You're correct.  Connect to the HR44 and all the other D* gear on the coax have access to the internet.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#11 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

That is what I thought. I am somewhat suprised I did not have any issues from the 'two' connections.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

That is what I thought. I am somewhat suprised I did not have any issues from the 'two' connections.

Maybe it has to do with the fact the second port is a passthrough instead of being an "input"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,217 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Maybe it has to do with the fact the second port is a passthrough instead of being an "input"

Is that a fact? I suspect that it is more like a hub.

I seem to recall some using the second port when the first didn't seem to work.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,217 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

Am I correct in the assumption that that old ethernet connection in my bedroom is not needed at all (due to DTV doing ethernet over COAX) and the tech just was not thinking?

It sounds like your "tech" was disengaged during a lot of the training.

It is good that you're paying attention to the details.

#15 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

Yeah, I always go over work that is done. Sometimes, even just having the second set of eyes catches things. In the techs defense, there were two guys here, one was a n00b in training and he may of been the one that plugged stuff in.

The CAT6 cable was there from the old STB they took out and I only 'checked' because I knew the cable was no longer needed and was going to remove it from the area to cut back on clutter and make it 'one less thing'. Honestly, I was a little surprised he had it plugged in.

From my limited networking knowledge, having two cables connected can provide more throughput. Pointless in this cas as the DTV ethernet supplies plenty of bandwidth. Certainly not needed for my snail like (3.5 mbs) DSL connection.

Edited by William1, 07 February 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#16 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

When I made the switch to D* almost a month ago now, the installer did a bang up job.  He seemed knowledgeable and got everything setup properly with no glitches along the way.  I've been pretty lucky over the years with both D* and E*, getting good installs every time with nary an issue.

This one was interesting in that it was one very damned cold day and it took the HR44 quite a long time to get up to temp so the setup could proceed.  I hadn't seen that before.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#17 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

ROFL

Today, Directv did a 'QC'. The guy did not call first. He barely spoke english. When I told him all work was done inside my home and that he'd have to take off his muddy boots, he left.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

ROFL

Today, Directv did a 'QC'. The guy did not call first. He barely spoke english. When I told him all work was done inside my home and that he'd have to take off his muddy boots, he left.

QC "people" never call, they just show hoping you are not home, really.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Also they can usually check the dish from outside anyway can't they? Sight check.

#20 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

QC "people" never call, they just show hoping you are not home, really.

It sure seemed that way

Also they can usually check the dish from outside anyway can't they? Sight check.

My dish is on my roof peak, about 40' off the ground. It was installed about five or six years ago.  

All my 'install' work was inside my house. My SWM8 is in my walk up attic. He had zero interest in coming in to check the work that was done.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...