Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Android Kitkat & old Google Maps

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

My Samsung Galaxy S4 is going to be getting Kitkat soon. I KNOW Kitkat is going to install the new version of Google Maps though, and I NEED the old version. Is it possible to uninstall the new version and install version 6.14.4? Yes, the phone will be rooted as soon as Kitkat install finishes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

You can give this a try:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2566159

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Nice! Thanks! Really hope this works. I'm completely lost with version 7 because they essentially broke it for me. I user it for public transportation navigation 95% of the time, and they removed it for some reason. I know they're are a couple apps dedicated just to that, but they don't include Portland, ME. Google Maps is the only one that does/did.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

That's bizzare they'd remove that. Have you googled to see why? And you are sure they didn't just bury the layer for it somewhere. So odd they'd remote something like that when they have said they want to make maps have more of this kind of thing.

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, it's gone. It's been talked about extensively online. They don't seem to be interested in adding it back, which pretty much leaves me LOST while riding the bus with the new version.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

Uh...I have public transport on my Google Maps. It was added back in a long time ago. I just hit "navigate" and select the bus icon instead of the car. Or bicycle or walking. But it's definitely been there for quite a while.

Version 7.5.0, on a Note 2, 4.3 stock.

KFQ5QVP.png

Edited by RasputinAXP, 01 February 2014 - 12:28 PM.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Further research: public transport option from 701 E Burnside to 210 NW 11th Ave, portland...

walk to 20 bus, walk to portland streetcar, walk to 12 bus; alert: 12 has no service to sw pacific hw and 78th.

No joke, been there since just after the initial uproar.

edit: Sorry. Portland, ME. from one brewery to another (72 Commericla to 110 Marginal Way) take the 8 bus, departs from casco bay ferry, $1.50

Edited by RasputinAXP, 01 February 2014 - 12:35 PM.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Other options under mass transit:

CyMc2bj.png

4byYyOT.png

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Is that what your looking for Kevin?

#10 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

No, that's there, but it used to tell me exactly which stop I was at, what the next stop is, which stop to get off at, all in real time, just like navigation while driving. It also doesn't give you walking navigation if you have to transfer busses.

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

It will do that, and it has the schedule in it from them. Says they're part of the consortium for Google transit. It didn't show that for me because...well, I'm not there.

#12 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Does it actually update in real time, from stop to stop? Just like it would if you were driving? I know when I tried the new version it didn't, it just have simple directions, but it doesn't help if you have no idea which stop you're at or which is next (And yes, the driver does announce the next stop, but it's usually garbled and impossible to understand). Does the new version work with walking too? I know I tried that as well, and while it would give directions, it didn't update them in real time or tell you when to turn down a street (Not all streets have name signs).

#13 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

Gives me walking directions for transferring trains when I do full nav. Not being there I can't experiment with the stop info.

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

If you're this terrified over it, then why not freeze and back up the current version, upgrade it now, try it and find out?

#15 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

Oh, I have the 6.14.4 apk, both on my phone and in Dropbox. I'm just worried that Kitkat won't let me uninstall Maps

#16 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

But why uninstall it if it works exactly as you'd want?

#17 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

I imagine the Kitkat update is going to contain version 7?

#18 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Let me rephrase:

1. You're rooted. You have a backup. Upgrade, try it out, right now, on 4.3 or whatever.
2. If it doesn't work like you want, restore from backup.

I tested it extensively in NYC this weekend. It works as you wanted. Updated while I was on the subway and while I walked. I mean sort of; I didn't extensively test walking directions because I don't need to look at my phone to walk around midtown. But it worked on the subway.

Because if the current version of Maps works for you, there's no reason to skip the upgrade to 4.4.

Edited by RasputinAXP, 19 February 2014 - 02:21 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...