Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv dropping INSP? Absolutely disgusting.....

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,221 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

What channel was this on?

DirecTV channel 364.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

It showed alot of the older shows (from when I was a kid), like Matlock, Little House, JAG (Which I watched. :(), The Waltons, etc.

• Dude111 likes this

#23 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

It showed alot of the older shows (from when I was a kid), like Matlock, Little House, JAG (Which I watched. :(), The Waltons, etc.

so let me guess, you are about 60 years old.... !rolling

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Does it? It was a question not an answer.

INSP isn't claiming that DirecTV wants them to pay more (at least not on their I WANT INSP website).

James, if supplier A states that a service he/she is offering will cost you $x and you and the supplier are unable to agree on a price, than the supplier will withhold that service.  I would therefore deduct that Insp. Channel was not able or willing to meet DTV price to continue broadcasting their channel.  Of course Insp. Channel could be going out of business or not interested in broadcasting to over 30 million potential viewers.

#25 OFFLINE   Richjr42

Richjr42

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

One less "organized religion" channel,even if the religion was kept to a minimum,to have on my service. I guess it's safe to unblock it for now.

• Bradman and ClimateHawk like this

Proud Directv Subscriber Since 2002!(HD Since 2010)

#26 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Matlock is on WGN America, Hallmark and Hallmark Movie Channel
Little House on the Prarie is on Hallmark
The Waltons is on Hallmark and UP

Unfortunately no one else airs JAG right now

On a side note, I wonder if they pissed off their original viewing base when they shifted from religious to secular programming in 2010. They don't even mention their religious programs on their website anymore.

Edited by KyL416, 01 February 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   ryan2112

ryan2112

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

I'm still looking for the pun.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#28 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

I watched Jag on it all the time.  And Peds, I am NOT in my 50's or 60's!  I loved that show!!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,221 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

James, if supplier A states that a service he/she is offering will cost you $x and you and the supplier are unable to agree on a price, than the supplier will withhold that service.  I would therefore deduct that Insp. Channel was not able or willing to meet DTV price to continue broadcasting their channel.  Of course Insp. Channel could be going out of business or not interested in broadcasting to over 30 million potential viewers.

The trouble is you have to assume ... there is no answer in the question.

One assumption is that DirecTV raised the rates - which if true should be the first thing mentioned by INSP. But INSP is not claiming that DirecTV is raising the rate they charge INSP. Their claim is INSP is free it should be carried.

The other assumption is that DirecTV did not raise their price but INSP just wants to stop paying for carriage. They want to be carried for free - and they state that INSP is a free channel (unlike other channels DirecTV pays for). What they miss is as a PI channel they should pay DirecTV for carriage. That is the way the law is written for PIs. They think they should be carried for free.

Given the two assumptions to choose I'd choose the second ... but there is no answer in the question.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#30 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,354 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:33 PM

It's not Inspiration anymore, more like depressing :)  , But it's reasonable if they were paying to be carried, then shifted for wanting money if they're hurting financially, not the same with content providers negotiating for more money when contracts expired.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#31 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Don't miss the channel at all.  All of these PI channels (and home shopping channels, etc) serve no purpose to me other than keeping my bill lower by being a second source of $$ for DirecTV.  One is pretty much the same as the next, and there are at least 10 representing the evangelical protestant viewpoint, along with other specific to other religions (JLTV, EWTN, BYU) and non-religious views (FSTV, CCTV, UP, etc).  Don't care, don't watch.  

#32 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

interesting how on their (INSP) facebook page they are deleting posts if you mention the Directv site and how they have to pay to be on Directv.

Yea DirecTV probably caused it and they dont want anyone knowing! (Dropping TWC was bad enough)

#33 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

Yea DirecTV probably caused it and they dont want anyone knowing! (Dropping TWC was bad enough)

Dont see nothing bad about dropping a useless channel

• PCampbell and Bradman like this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   oriolesmagic

oriolesmagic

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

I don't see how this could be considered a public interest channel now. Instead of airing primarily religious programming as it used to, it now airs old family-oriented television shows from syndication deals. Today's INSP has more in common with Hallmark or UP than it does something like TBN. I think there's some religious programming on there still, but nothing like what there used to be.

The people who own INSP also own FamilyNet, and have done the same thing with that channel.

I think a channel like INSP would now ask for money to be carried. I know among most cable companies, they're on very low tiers. For some (like my local one), they're on limited basic, and have analog space. DirecTV probably has the viewership numbers, and knows that this isn't a channel worth paying for, and they pulled the plug for that reason. I can't imagine INSP wouldn't want the money, and think that's what this comes down to.

Since their programming is offered elsewhere, and the channel isn't well-known, I doubt it's much of a loss. As with all niche channels, they have a few fans, but not enough to matter.

#35 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

Family net is not owed by insp it is owed by rural media now

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,221 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

I am trusting that DirecTV's claim is accurate ... that INSP was paying for carriage and now they don't want to pay. But I wonder if they qualify as a PI. They seem to have moved over to a commercial format with regular advertising (not the non-comm PBS style "buy our products" such as recordings of the show you just saw but real commercials not selling INSP related items).

I did not realize how far away from non-comm they had moved until I watched an hour last night and saw the commercials - and read promotional material on their website touting their commercial ratings. They may have lost their status.

If they no longer qualify as a PI then DirecTV needs to find a replacement. The space they sold to INSP needs to be sold to a channel that is eligible to be a PI. And if INSP wants to be carried they either need to pay outside of the PI rules or work out some other carriage deal with DirecTV.

#37 OFFLINE   aldridge

aldridge

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

My wife loved this channel, and is quite upset about DTV dropping it. I might have to switch to the local cable company because of this to keep her happy.

• Dude111 likes this

#38 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

I see Up! is now mirrored on 364 (along with 338)

#39 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,687 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

From what everyone has said was on it, I cant imagine why that would be the case.  Its all likely on on another channel already.

#40 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Can we now add UP in HD please?

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

spam firewall