Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper --> Hopper w/Sling -- anyway to transfer timers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WynsWrld98

WynsWrld98

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

I did a chat with a DISH CSR when I ordered the Hopper with Sling which will be replacing my regular Hopper and she said there is no way to transfer timers from one Hopper to another.  I have a TON of timers and would hate to have to document all of them then recreate them.

But I know CSRs can sometimes be wrong so I thought I'd ask here...

Anyone with an Android phone/tablet try to output a transferred program to a TV connected to their phone via HDMI?  I have been reading that it may be blocked (am hoping not), would be great to be able to display from tablet to TV in a hotel room.  I'm guessing the quality would be WAY better doing this vs streaming to tablet with questionable broadband speeds in a hotel which often results in a pretty crappy picture quality.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Before you turn off the Hopper without Sling, do a backup to the remote.

Then when you set up the Hopper with Sling, use the same remote and restore to it.  

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   WynsWrld98

WynsWrld98

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Thanks.  Why in the world wouldn't the CSR know this??  I'm guessing how to do the backup is in the manual for the remote control vs Hopper?  If so question is can I find the manual, doh!  I'm guessing it isn't done through the Hopper GUI?  If so I haven't seen it in all of the browsing I've done.

Edited by WynsWrld98, 31 January 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Press and hold the System Wizard (zero key), then follow the prompts. All of your timers and settings are automatically backed up once per week.

Edited by thomasjk, 31 January 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

the feature discussed here for years ...how you miss it ? how your search didn't find it ?

#6 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

how Dish CSR not know? :confused: ;)

No, it doesn't surprise me at all that the CSRs are clueless.  I just went from the original hopper to the hopper with sling, and did the backup to remote > restore to DVR trick to get my settings and timers transferred. It worked fantastic. I wouldn't have known about that feature without reading about it here or somewhere else. It's mentioned in the manual, but I don't think it's explained very well.

Edited by clotter, 03 February 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

I think the reason you don't see much officially about it is that it is almost automagically done.

The backup to remote is done periodically with no interaction on your part, and I though I saw a prompt to do a restore to a new/replacement box during the setup.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

spam firewall