Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Even paranoids have real ememies

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

Today, I can't open either of my AOL desktops.  I have installed 9.7 and 9.0.  The reason I installed the old, 9.0 in addition to the 9.7 is so that I can retain access to my "mailbox" that is on my computer, as, last I knew, AOL did not have any means to merge mailbox content.  Basically, if you moved stored AOL mail from one computer desktop to another, it would displace it rather than merge with it.  But anyway...

At some point a screen came up, claiming to be from AOL, saying that there was a defective AOL desktop file that was preventing me from running AOL, and that to remedy that problem,  need to either go to http://daol.aol.com/software and reload my software, or call 800-827-6364. 

I was reluctant and chose not to do either of those things at tthat time.  But then I got a notice from Norton saying that it had encountered a problem, so I had it look for a solution, which took about an hour, but it allegedly failed to find a solution.  That was all strange because Norton did not tell me what the nature of the problem was it was remedying.  After Norton had failed to fix the problem, it advised me thusly:

Error: "3039,65559" appears on my Norton product

To fix this problem, uninstall and reinstall your Norton product. Download and run the Norton Remove and Reinstall to uninstall your Norton product.

Download and run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool

The Norton Remove and Reinstall tool uninstalls all Norton products from your computer, and reinstalls the latest version of your Norton security product. If you have any other utility products like Norton SystemWorks, Norton Ghost, pcAnywhere, or Norton Utilities, you have to reinstall them manually. Before you proceed, make sure that you have the installation CDs or the downloaded installation files of those products.

If you have received your Norton product from your service provider, skip this step and, use the Norton Removal Tool. To download and run the Norton Removal Tool, go to the Norton Removal Tool download page.

1. Download the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.

Save the file to the Windows desktop.

2. On the Windows desktop, double-click the NRnR icon.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

4. Restart the computer.

Your computer may be restarted more than once, and you may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.

Two questions:

1. Does this look like a real Norton remedy?, and

2. Is that AOL download site their real download site?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

AOwhut?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

AOL still exists?

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

As recently as five years ago, I had a customer in a condo who was getting her HBO via a microwave link that was set up to distribute HBO back before her city was wired for cable.  The manager of her building had asked me to remove all the old, junk antennas off the roof while I was doing some other work.  Fortunately for me, it started raining before I had a chance to haul everything to the dump, so I was able to determine which antenna it was and reinstall it the next day.

I went ahead and reinstalled the AOL 9.7, which took maybe fifteen minutes, and it opened a few times but now it is failing to open again.  I can access AOL and AOL mail through my other browsers, but I find AOL's "Mail waiting to be sent" feature on its desktop to be the most convenient word processor and notepad I have found, and so I need to open that application to at least be able to e-mail myself all my 'waiting to be sent" items so that I can access them through my mailbox.

#5 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,221 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

That's probably a real Norton response.

I haven't had Norton on any of my computers for several years as I ran into this sort of message several times asking me to remove and reinstall Norton to fix a problem.

Eventually I removed Norton completely and replaced it with the free Microsoft Security Essentials, now renamed Windows Defender.

• FHSPSU67 likes this
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:17 AM

I have had to do the Norton reinstall at least twice over the decades, though i can't remember why. In recent years Comcast provides it for free, so I use it on all my computers.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

2. Is that AOL download site their real download site?

Assuming the displayed link is the actual URL, then that is the link to AOL's Desktop software page and the number you listed is their Customer Support center.

Google and Bing can be useful tools.

spam firewall