Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Stay away from macpalace.com!

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

For those of you with Mac's looking for parts... Say away from macpalace.com!! I tried ordering a part from them which they advertise for $48 only to get a response claiming Apple is now asking $75 for the part. They told me if I still wanted the part I needed to send them the difference. I politely responded telling them no, that they could honor their advertised price or refund my money. Well, I got a refund.

Their site still has it for $48, not the $75 they claim.

They are scam artists!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

Glad to hear you received a refund. I have always heard good things about http://www.macsales.com/ (Other World Computing) so that would be a site I would recommend for parts. However, I am not sure if they sell a lot of replacement parts such as display screens, logic boards, keyboards etc. 

#3 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

What scam?  You got your money back.  They are just doing a sloppy job updating their web page's price entry for this item.  I've run into that a few times, myself.

Edited by AntAltMike, 01 February 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

What scam?  You got your money back.  They are just doing a sloppy job updating their web page's price entry for this item.  I've run into that a few times, myself.

I didn't get scammed, no, but I'm sure others fell for this scam.   When you advertise for one price and won't sell for that price while hitting up the customer for more it is a total scam.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Glad to hear you received a refund. I have always heard good things about http://www.macsales.com/ (Other World Computing) so that would be a site I would recommend for parts. However, I am not sure if they sell a lot of replacement parts such as display screens, logic boards, keyboards etc. 

Thanks.  I just checked them and they don't have the RAID battery I'm looking for. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

The scam part is advertising for $48, demanding more and placing the blame on Apple, then CONTINUING to advertise for $48 - even though, if the business was being truthful, they KNOW they can't/won't sell for that price.

That's a version of bait and switch which is ILLEGAL.

#7 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Gimme a break.  This matter is a simple price change that has not been updated.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Gimme a break.  This matter is a simple price change that has not been updated.

Not hardly. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Gimme a break. This matter is a simple price change that has not been updated.

Have you worked retail in California lately? That's a huge fine. Why? Because its still an issue. It may have been a mistake when it first happened, which is still a fine, but it should have been fixed by now. That's unacceptable. The longer it takes to change the more times they can be caught and the bigger the fine. No reason web pricing isn't easier to fix than retail pricing.

#10 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

I went to the macplace.com website and copied the part numbers for two parts in the $20 to $30 range and then googled those two part numbers along with the word, "price" and there was about a 20% variation in the prices that came up on the first ten pages found containing each item, with macpalace.com's prices being at the lower end of those ranges but roughly tied with the other lowest priced sellers.  If you'd like, we can work out some kind of a wager where we take a sample of items on macplace.com and order them and see if they sell for those prices, but the bet would have to be large enough to cover the cost of the purchases.

Bait and switch is a tactic that can work in retail sales, where the buyer incurs the expense of traveling to the store before being told that the product is unavailable.  I drove 70 miles to Boston to buy a stereo that was advertised as "supply limited" and was the first person there when the store opened and the clerk told me they had sold out, but he could give me a good deal on a slightly more expensive, but "better" product.  That is bait and switch.  The switch part was, he tried to sell me another product that I likely would not have driven 70 miles to buy.  There was no switch involved in your transaction, and no transaction cost that you had incurred that put you at a relative disadvantage.

Edited by AntAltMike, 02 February 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

I went to the macplace.com website and copied the part numbers for two parts in the $20 to $30 range and then googled those two part numbers along with the word, "price" and there was about a 20% variation in the prices that came up on the first ten pages found containing each item, with macpalace.com's prices being at the lower end of those ranges but roughly tied with the other lowest priced sellers.  If you'd like, we can work out some kind of a wager where we take a sample of items on macplace.com and order them and see if they sell for those prices, but the bet would have to be large enough to cover the cost of the purchases.

Bait and switch is a tactic that can work in retail sales, where the buyer incurs the expense of traveling to the store before being told that the product is unavailable.  I drove 70 miles to Boston to buy a stereo that was advertised as "supply limited" and was the first person there when the store opened and the clerk told me they had sold out, but he could give me a good deal on a slightly more expensive, but "better" product.  That is bait and switch.  The switch part was, he tried to sell me another product that I likely would not have driven 70 miles to buy.  There was no switch involved in your transaction, and no transaction cost that you had incurred that put you at a relative disadvantage.

How you don't see this as a scam is beyond me...  It's as plain as day.   Or maybe you're just here to stir up things...   No switch?  How about a last minute price switch from what is STILL advertised on their site.  Flat out scam!

You buy from them, I won't and I'll encourage everyone I know to boycott them as well.  If I knew who to contact I'd report them.

BTW, I bought the battery elsewhere for $55 with no "Apple wants more" BS.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

It's not Bait and Switch, it's simply refusing to honor an advertised price.  Whether or not that's illegal varies by state law.

They really have three choices if an order is placed for an item with an incorrect price:

* Honor the price even if means a loss to them.

* Cancel the order.

* Ask for the difference.  They can't demand the difference though, or charge it without customer consent.

The problem comes in if they continue to display the incorrect price.  In this case, maybe they just haven't changed it yet.  If they don't change it in a few days, then there may be a problem.

Bait and Switch is something else.

Merchant advertises Item A at a bargain price.  Customer goes to buy that item, but merchant refuses to sell it, instead trying to get customer to buy Item B at a much higher price.  If the merchant had Item A at the advertised price, but sold out, it's probably not illegal.  If they never had it, that's a different matter.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#13 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

The test would be to post the exact item in question and see what happens if someone else tries to buy it at the lower price

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

The test would be to post the exact item in question and see what happens if someone else tries to buy it at the lower price

STILL $48...  http://www.macpalace...-raid-card.html

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

OK, so who's going to be the Guinea Pig?

#16 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

I haven't bought anything "mac" (other than fast food) since Sculley took the reins of the company to save it from the boy genius.

Edited by AntAltMike, 02 February 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

Their site still has it for $48, not the $75 they claim.

They are scam artists!

Im sorry you had that happen but I am glad you got your $$ back!

#18 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

STILL $48... http://www.macpalace...-raid-card.html

Directv advertises HD Genie prices starting at 24.99 That's a flat out lie too. Is that illegal?

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#19 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

I used to get a kick out of the car ads that said: $13,999.000 (price after $3,000 down payment or trade-in)

Edited by AntAltMike, 02 February 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

Directv advertises HD Genie prices starting at 24.99 That's a flat out lie too. Is that illegal?

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Uh, that's not illegals because they stipulate that's under certain conditions.

Flat out listing the wrong price is in many states, which is what that site is doing and not fixing it. Here in California its huge fines and illegal.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...