Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Stay away from macpalace.com!

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Read the other posts.  I'm not the only one they tried this on and it is DEFINITELY a scam.

It's the very definition of a scam, now that it's shown to be their modus operandi. 

And trolling would include knocking a third party gratuitously. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Lax,

Don't they call this bait and switch?

If enough people complain, the att. general's office of that state would not be very happy.

Just a thought.

chris

#63 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,882 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

I'm not sure why people can't make their point without getting personal but it stops here and now.  This is directed to everyone...if you can't figure a civil way to make a point, without making it personal, then don't post.

Discuss the topic and not each other.  

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#64 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Prove they broke the law

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

You are not allowed to advertise a price for something and NOT honor it as a general rule of thumb.  Now, there be mistakes and such sure, and therefore leniency can be allowed IMHO, but the Weights and Measures guys in California don't give any leniency.  They fine stores for being over $1 on 10 items costing under $10 even. They just don't leave room for inaccuracy at all.  This coudl easily be changed on their web site and its days latter now, so its not just a simple one time mistake.  And as others have found and posted here as well as their reviews on their web site they are doing this to many people on many items.  Listing a price and not making it possible to get an item at that price (you can list a price with an * and give all kinds of fine print, but that isn't whats happening here) is illegal in the state of California. And the fact they have a pattern of doing it is false advertising. That is illegal.

#65 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

I filed a complaint with California using the links you provided inkahauts.  We'll see what happens.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#66 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, im curios what they say since its a web site and I don't know how that works jurisdiction wise... If they are based here..  Should be very interesting.

#67 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

The e-mails about the increased price are badly worded. They don't say anything about refunding the money already sent, only a request to send in more money "if you are still interested."

I'd say the scheme is pretty close to "bait and switch."

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#68 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

Still $48 on their site weeks later.  

• damondlt likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#69 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

I went to the macplace.com website and copied the part numbers for two parts in the $20 to $30 range and then googled those two part numbers along with the word, "price" and there was about a 20% variation in the prices that came up on the first ten pages found containing each item, with macpalace.com's prices being at the lower end of those ranges but roughly tied with the other lowest priced sellers.  If you'd like, we can work out some kind of a wager where we take a sample of items on macplace.com and order them and see if they sell for those prices, but the bet would have to be large enough to cover the cost of the purchases.

Bait and switch is a tactic that can work in retail sales, where the buyer incurs the expense of traveling to the store before being told that the product is unavailable.  I drove 70 miles to Boston to buy a stereo that was advertised as "supply limited" and was the first person there when the store opened and the clerk told me they had sold out, but he could give me a good deal on a slightly more expensive, but "better" product.  That is bait and switch.  The switch part was, he tried to sell me another product that I likely would not have driven 70 miles to buy.  There was no switch involved in your transaction, and no transaction cost that you had incurred that put you at a relative disadvantage.

Are you an employee for macpalace.com?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#70 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

It's your fault for not understanding that there's a supply limited item and was sold out, ain't it too obvious to see that? That's like looking on a store website and it says "in stock" but when you get there there's none in the shelves, point of the story, don't trust websites that are not updated, whenever I go to a unfamiliar site that advertise something that's too good to be true low price, I google around to see the reputation of the site first.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#71 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Are you an employee for macpalace.com?

Are you a comedian?

It's your fault for not understanding that there's a supply limited item and was sold out, ain't it too obvious to see that? That's like looking on a store website and it says "in stock" but when you get there there's none in the shelves, point of the story, don't trust websites that are not updated, whenever I go to a unfamiliar site that advertise something that's too good to be true low price, I google around to see the reputation of the site first.

I guess the first sentence of that paragraph is intended to be taken as sarcastic.  If it is, it helps to use the "roll eyes" emoticon.

When I see an item with a price that is too good to be true, I order it immediately.  Sometimes, the seller does not realize the value of the item he is selling and may become more knowledgeable if and when he explores the matter further.

Back when this thread was more active, I looked for reviews on macpalace.com and it looked to me like a poorly run company where a couple of technically savvy hobbyists or hackers decided to market their products and services on the internet and basically were making a mess of it.  But I can't for the life of me see how anyone can be so upset about a company not honoring a low, posted price.  I opened a thread here a few years ago when a fairly substantial company "sold" me $900 worth of HDTV tuners that were being liquidated but never shipped them, and then ducked me for a few weeks so I had to contest the charge to get my money back, which I did.   I wasn't too pleased by all of that, but I'm pretty sure I know how it happened.  This guy got his hands on thousands of very nice tuners very cheap and was blowing them out, and chances are, when he got down to a few, he must have had to use them for warranty exchanges for some of the ones he had already sold and in the end, there weren't any units for the last few purchasers.  Yeah, it was a poor business practice for him to ding my account before shipping them, but I'm not really upset because that's the way a blowout works, and I was at least "in the game" because there was a good chance I would have gotten this great deal on the receivers, as many of my colleagues had.  I learned of it from one colleague of mine who had purchased and received several thousand dollars worth of them when he steered me to that deal.

In this instance, with macpalace,com, the reviews I read led me to believe they aren't actually a factory authorized dealer for a lot of companies whose parts they offer, so they aren't always going to be immediately aware of any price increases from those companies, and when they discover that the value of their inventory of a part has gone up because the replacement cost has gone up, they get to decide whether to be seen as "reputable" and to honor the offer, or whether to decide that getting the maximum mark-up is more important than is sustaining any kind of a reputation for reliability that they may have established.  As I said an an earlier post here, when I drove 70 miles for a product that the seller had no intention of selling me or anyone for an advertised price, I was pissed, but when someone on the internet declines to honor a sales offer, it is no more than a minor nuisance that sets my acquisition of that item back by a day or two.

Edited by AntAltMike, 22 February 2014 - 02:09 PM.

• damondlt likes this

#72 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

But I can't for the life of me see how anyone can be so upset about a company not honoring a low, posted price.

Because an advertised price is an advertised price.  Advertising one price and then trying to gouge someone for a higher price is a scam and illegal.  That's how...  Now you can move on and stop flaming people who don't want to see others get ripped off and enjoy having prices raised on you after you order something.

• sigma1914 likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#73 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Well said Runner.  That company should be put out of business if thats how they operate in general.

#74 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Well said Runner.  That company should be put out of business if thats how they operate in general.

Yeah, I've found people all over complaining about them.  Really not sure how they are still in business.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...