Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 doesn't seem to be detecting AM21 at all

HR44AM21 OTA Toledo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aterlay

aterlay

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationToledo, OH

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

Hi!

I had a new Directv system installed in my home about 2 weeks ago.  It is a Genie system with an HR44-200 receiver.  I am a resident of Michigan but live only 4 miles from the Ohio border so I purchased an AM21 receiver from Directv through Amazon.com so that I could get my Toledo local channels (my zip code gives me Detroit locals which are useless).  The AM21 arrived and I installed it according to instruction but it doesn't seem to do anything. 

After connecting the AM21 to the Geniek with the provided USB cable, I reset the Genie.  When it booted up it did not automatically detect the AM21 and did not ask me if I wanted to set it up.  Nevertheless I found my way to the setup menu and went through the initial setup process, entering in one of Toledo's zip codes (43612).  After the initial setup the option to "edit off-air channels" in the antenna setup menu is/was grayed out and that cannot be selected.  No new channels appeared in my guide either.  Both units have power, using their own seperate power cables.  I also tried another Toledo zip code (43611) and got the same results.

I have spent 2 hours on the phone with Directv tech support and after multiple resets and checking this and that, nothing has worked.  One rep I spoke to said the HR44 isn't compatible with the AM21.  I know my outdoor antenna is good because I can plug the antenna directly into my tv and get everthing in crystal clear HD, even some Detroit channels that are about 40-50 miles away.  I have 5 televisions spread throughout the house, so I need the AM21 to get locals on all of them plus pause/record live tv.

I'm asking for help because frankly I have no idea what to do next.  I have read plenty of blogs/posts that say the HR44 and the AM21 do work together but mine just don't.  I'm confused because I'm under the impression that the OTA guide information comes from the satellite so shouldn't the local channels show up in the guide once I go through the antenna setup and enter a local zip?  Does the fact that the Genie never gave me a notification after hooking up the am21 mean that it has never recognized it?  Why is the "edit off-air channels" tool grayed out?  I can't seem to diagnose what the problem is.  I'm out of ideas and would really appreciate any help!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 619 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

You are using the usb next to the HDMI on the back of the box....correct?  If so have you tried a different usb cable?

HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#3 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

I have an AM-21 with a HR-34 that's behaving the same way.  I'd been using the AM-21 with it for well over a year and a half w/o issue.  At first I would get a loss of signal error when selecting an OTA channed in the guide, then I reset the OTA channel line-up, unplugged everything and restarted the HR-34 and AM-21 which resulted in the same symptoms as you're having - no detection of the AM-21 at all.  The problems seemed to start when I got firmware 0x079e on 1/7.  I have another AM21 (fed from the same antenna as the other AM-21) with an HR-24 that works fine.   DirecTV support has been no help.  I'm hoping that the next release (0x07E5) will fix it but I'm not holding my breath.

#4 OFFLINE   aterlay

aterlay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationToledo, OH

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

On the back of my Genie receiver there is only one USB port and it is directly above a SATA port with a phone line port on one side and an ethernet port on the other.  I haven't tried another USB cable because I don't have a similar cable with USB on one end and a printer type port on the other.  I actually ordered a brand new am-21 and returned the one I had to see if that solved any problems.  I hope it does because it sounds like I'm SOL otherwise.

#5 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

.I just did a upgrade from a HR-23 to a HR-44. I transfered my AM-21. Setup ran fine and works flawlessly once the zipcode/setup was done.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

#6 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

I didn't see in your posts where you unplugged the AM21 then plugged it back in. 

I've got an AM21 on both an HR34 and an HR44 and cycling power on the AM21 has always solved OTA problems.

Can't recall if a Genie recycle was ever required following an AM21 power cycle but that would be your next step.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#7 OFFLINE   aterlay

aterlay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationToledo, OH

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

dettxw I never did try just unplugging the AM21.  I guess I really never even considered it.  Just seemed too simple for some reason.  I will try that when the new AM21 arrives.  Thanks.  Go Tigers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HR44AM21, OTA, Toledo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...