Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Capacity of a Genie Whole House

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MrDad0330

MrDad0330

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Currently I have a Genie system comprised of the following:

1 HR34
2 C31 Clients
1 HR24-500

My input system comprises: (All Green labels)

SWM16
1 8 way spitter, connected to Ch 1~8 output on the Swm 16
1-4 way splitter, not connected but before Genie, it was connected to the Channel 9~16 on the Swm16

Right now, D has four runs from the 8way splitter going to my respective rooms so there are 4 unused ports.

My question is this.. I would like to reconnect a run to my granddaughters rooom and I have a H25 HD reciever. It needs to be reactivated but my question is this: Can i connect the run from that room to one of the empty ports on the 8 way splitter OR should I connect it to the unused 4 way splitter and then connect that 4way splitter to the Channel 9~16 output on my Swm16?

Also, I am not sure how this would all work into my Genie system. With the Genie and my HR24, i have seven tuners, correct? What is the capacity of my system?

If my H25 can be reconnected into my whole home system, will it be able to interact with my Genie and HR24 in that I can access my lists from both recorders and like a client, will I be able to pause live TV OR just access my lists?

As always, I appreciate all the help and advice everyone always gives me

MrDad, Harrisburg Pa

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

Who installed the SWM16? Based on your current setup, DirecTV wouldn't have used it.

The SWM16 can handle 16 total tuners, limited to 8 per side.

The H25 will be able to access lists on both, and set things to record on either DVR. It will not be able to pause live TV. However using it for live won't use any Genie tuners.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

To answer your question, yes, you can connect the H25 to an unused port on the 8 way splitter.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Personally id replace the 8 way with the 4 way and then connect the h25 line directly to the other output on the swim16. And the h25 will have mrv access.

#5 OFFLINE   MrDad0330

MrDad0330

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Directv did this installation but before my Genie. When they intalled the genie, I was only connected to four rooms. Prior to that I had six rooms and 3 HRs so they must have needed the 8 way and 4 way splitters.

Ink, is there any reason you would discconnect the the four lines from the 8 way splitter and not use it? And what you are saying is, just connect the H25 line directly to the output marked "Channels 9~16" on my Swm16? Keep in mind those four existing runs go to my Genie, two clients and my HR24 so that would be 7 tuners, correct? Would that cause issues on a 4 way splitter? I am supposing you are suggesting that to clean it all up some.

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,865 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

Capacity of a Genie Whole House

You are misunderstanding the Genie. The Genie does nothing in controlling the Whole Home size. The size of Whole Home is determine by the SWiM. A SWiM-8 can handle 8 tuners and the SWiM-16 can handle 8 tuners on each of its two feeds.

Genies have 5 tuners

HR2x have 2 tuners

H2x have 1 tuners.

Genie Clients have 0 tuners

You can move things around all you want as long as you follow two rules - only 8 tuners max per SWiM feed and keep the PI [Power Inserter] on the RED jack at all times

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

First, any output not being used but be capped by using a 75ohm "terminator" Also you want to use the smaller splitter that would do the job to reduce unwanted signal loss

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   MrDad0330

MrDad0330

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Ok this is all making sense and I am gettin signal now to my H25. I just have to call in and activate it now. One last question though. On the output marked 9~16 on my swm16, the intaller just left a 12 inchcable connected to it that used to run to the now unused 4 way splitter. Should I remove that and cap that output with a 75ohm cap?

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

Ok this is all making sense and I am gettin signal now to my H25. I just have to call in and activate it now. One last question though. On the output marked 9~16 on my swm16, the intaller just left a 12 inchcable connected to it that used to run to the now unused 4 way splitter. Should I remove that and cap that output with a 75ohm cap?

Yes

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

As he said yes, or, you can do as I suggested. I see no reason to have an 8 way in your system. The size of the splitter has nothing to do with how many tuners, just how many places you need to get the cable to. So a four way on the 1-8 output would take care of your existing stuff and then the h25 directly to the 9-16 output would mean you'd have no ends you need to terminate, and would allow you to keep your signal loss at a minimum.

#11 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

One thing about capping the SWM out ports on the SWM modules themselves. The metal casing is fairly soft and the treads for the SWM out ports pretty fragile. Many caps don't get much in the way of purchase on these outlets after they have had service lines attached and removed.

I found on my SMM8s that I had to use a short run of cable that had an in line coupler at the far end so I could properly cap them off using the coupler. (the cable end got far better purchase on the SWM out port and the in line coupler threads were much more solid and had adequate purchase for the cap).

Don "I'm just sayin" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

One thing about capping the SWM out ports on the SWM modules themselves. The metal casing is fairly soft and the treads for the SWM out ports pretty fragile. Many caps don't get much in the way of purchase on these outlets after they have had service lines attached and removed.

I found on my SMM8s that I had to use a short run of cable that had an in line coupler at the far end so I could properly cap them off using the coupler. (the cable end got far better purchase on the SWM out port and the in line coupler threads were much more solid and had adequate purchase for the cap).

Don "I'm just sayin" Bolton

I disagree.  I have dropped SWM16 form 2 stories and the casing came out fine.  not sure about the "insides" as these were defective switches.  the threads are just the same as any other fitting, i.e. your receiver, ground block, etc 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

I will defer to your experience. Nonetheless when my dual SWM8s were installed there were issues with HR20-700s that after swapping lines about I discocered would not work on the power passing side of my infrastructure.

Part of this madness had me usnig the second SWM outs on the 8s and I discoverd even after removing the rubber boot, I could not get the caps to thread back on. I could attach a short coax jumper, add a in line coupler and cap that though so that is how my 8s remained till I replacesd them with 16s.

Seems to me those threads were a bit fragile but. . . Perhaps Mongo too ham fisted.

Don "but thats why I posted what i did" Bolton

I disagree.  I have dropped SWM16 form 2 stories and the casing came out fine.  not sure about the "insides" as these were defective switches.  the threads are just the same as any other fitting, i.e. your receiver, ground block, etc

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#14 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,414 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Swim16s aren't shipped with a terminator on either output and VOS confirmed several months ago in another thread that they don't need one on an unused output.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

spam firewall