Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie Install - No issues, but curious about the current setup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Everything in my previous setup as well as my new setup works just fine as far as I can tell.  My reason for asking about this is just so I can keep up with how my setup is installed, any issues I may incur with this setup, and if there is a "better way" to have this all configured in the event I need to try and troubleshoot or replace a piece or two in the future.  So any input or suggestions on this setup would be greatly appreciated.

My previous setup was 3 HD DVR's, 1 HD tuner, and 1 SD tuner.  System was a SWiM system where the multiswitch was in the LNB and a 8 way splitter in the basement feeding the receivers with only one coax feed from the dish to the splitter and PI in the basement.  There was also a ICK in the Living Room which gives wired internet access to the Whole Home Setup.

New Genie replaced the old SD receiver which brought me to 12 tuners so a SWiM 16 was necessary.  We needed to move a few receivers around to make the Genie our primary receiver in the Living Room.  The other DVR's are now in the bedrooms, and an HD receiver in the basement.  Since we were already setup in a SWiM config, no additional coax feeds within the house was necessary other than adding one additional line from the dish, to the SWiM 16, to the basement.  I also moved the ICK to one of the bedrooms with an available hardwired switch along with the DVR from the living room instead of just using the HR44 to allow internet access to the whole home setup.  I have read about some issues with doing that, and the ICK has been flawless so I kept it that way.

Installer replaced the SWiM LNB with the non multiswitch style and installed a SWiM 16 outside the basement wall on the side of the house just below the dish.  They ran one additional feed from the dish to the multiswitch so there are now two lines going from the dish to the multiswitch.  Two lines from the multiswitch into the basement with one going to the old 8 way switch, and the other to the PI in the basement.  The 8 way splitter still has the original 7 tuners connected to it where the other side of the PI is now connected directly to the Genie. 

Everything works, all receivers see each other's playlists, all have internet connectivity and communicate just fine.  So I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?  However, being the curious type I would like to know if this is the "best it can be" in regards to simplicity, signal strength, etc.  Is there a better, more efficient, more reliable to have this all wired up?  So this makes me think about a few things...........

1.  Having the multiswitch outside in the weather.  The installer said it would be fine, but I have always been partial to having everything BUT the dish indoors for longevity sake.  To me, having that outside just introduces more places for a connector to fail, lines to get moisture in, etc.  It is probably in the most protected "outside" place it could be in this house, but it is still outside none the less.  And since I don't have the protection plan, and this equipment is now "mine" according to DirecTV, I want to try and make it last while minimizing the chance of any such issues since I will most likely be the one doing any repairs/troubleshooting, at least initially.

2.  Wondering if the signal strengths will be lower on the other 7 receivers still connected to the splitter vs the Genie that is getting it's own line straight from the dish?.  Is there a better way to "balance" this out or is this an optimal/acceptable setup?  We have had a continuing issue with signal strengths on our LiL's (even prior to the Genie) which seem to go out during even a light sprinkle so I don't need even more degradation introduced into the system than was already there.  Installer said they found some rust in the connector on the end of the old line connected to the LNB and it was replaced.  But I just don't have a lot of confidence that this was the actual issue until we get our next decent shower, and we don't lose our signals.  Which old "Phil" seeing his shadow today, it's going to be a while yet.

Anything else I may need to be aware of that I may encounter with this setup, or could be mitigated/eliminated with a reconfiguration of the setup?

TIA for any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or approval of the current config.

Regards,

J

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

What you are referring to two lines timor the dish to the SWM16, must be 2 DUAL cable lines as the SWM16 needs four cables going to its satellite inputs. Keep in mind that the SWM16 is made for it outdoors, you are right, there is still a chance that moisture will get to to the connectors.

If you want to relocate the SWM16 indoors, you must run all four cable form the LNB, to a ground block, then from the ground block you run four cables to the basement.  I would then replace the  8 way splitter and use a 4 way instead and connect the 4 HRs there plus the CCK. I would use a 2 way on the second port of the SWM16 to connect the Genie plus the HD receiver.  Also I would connect the PI directly to the SWM16 power port (the middle connector)

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:07 AM

Peds,

Thanks for the reply.  Not to be stupid or anything but I still have to ask.  When you said to connect all 4 DVR's AND the CCK (I have an ICK) to the 4 way, am I to assume I am using the power pass thru port for a connection?  Otherwise, the math doesn't add up......... :grin:

#4 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Yes. The power pass is just like any other port except it will
Also let you pass power to the pi.

And ick and cck do the same thing.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

What you are referring to two lines timor the dish to the SWM16, must be 2 DUAL cable lines as the SWM16 needs four cables going to its satellite inputs. Keep in mind that the SWM16 is made for it outdoors, you are right, there is still a chance that moisture will get to to the connectors.

If you want to relocate the SWM16 indoors, you must run all four cable form the LNB, to a ground block, then from the ground block you run four cables to the basement.  I would then replace the  8 way splitter and use a 4 way instead and connect the 4 HRs there plus the CCK. I would use a 2 way on the second port of the SWM16 to connect the Genie plus the HD receiver.  Also I would connect the PI directly to the SWM16 power port (the middle connector)

Peds,

Thanks for the reply.  Not to be stupid or anything but I still have to ask.  When you said to connect all 4 DVR's AND the CCK (I have an ICK) to the 4 way, am I to assume I am using the power pass thru port for a connection?  Otherwise, the math doesn't add up......... :grin:

See post above.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

Peds,

Everything in my previous setup as well as my new setup works just fine as far as I can tell.  My reason for asking about this is just so I can keep up with how my setup is installed, any issues I may incur with this setup, and if there is a "better way" to have this all configured in the event I need to try and troubleshoot or replace a piece or two in the future.  So any input or suggestions on this setup would be greatly appreciated.

My previous setup was 3 HD DVR's, 1 HD tuner, and 1 SD tuner.  System was a SWiM system where the multiswitch was in the LNB and a 8 way splitter in the basement feeding the receivers with only one coax feed from the dish to the splitter and PI in the basement.  There was also a ICK in the Living Room which gives wired internet access to the Whole Home Setup.

Which is it, 3 or 4 HDDVRs?

I said 3 HDDVRs (cause that is what you said until now) plus CCK on 4 way, plus PI on its dedicated port.  see my math adds up! ;)

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:19 AM

Your right Peds!  Sorry for that.  I just gotta quit posting things on here before I have my second cup of coffee in the morning. :sleeping:

Either that, or I need to go back to math class!!!

But at least I found out that the passthru port on the splitter would work as another port if I needed it at some point.  :sure:

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:54 AM

Your right Peds!  Sorry for that.  I just gotta quit posting things on here before I have my second cup of coffee in the morning. :sleeping:

Either that, or I need to go back to math class!!!

But at least I found out that the passthru port on the splitter would work as another port if I needed it at some point.  :sure:

I'll take you mean the pass through on the PI? if the PI is connected on the dedicated PWR (middle port) it can't be used as a pass through as there is no signal coming form that port. However if it is connected inline from port #1, then your assumption is correct 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,431 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Peds,

He didn't understand that the power passing port could be used to connect to a receiver.  He was under the impression that it was only for the Power Inserter.

spam firewall