Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2014 Olympic TV schedule

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

I found this page at NBC. If you enter your zipcode and TV provider, it shows what is airing,when and on which channel. I found that IE displays the page better than FireFox. Hope it comes in handy for you.....

link: http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Is there going to be coverage of the opening ceremony (or has it already taken place)?

EDIT:  Never mind.  Apparently it's Friday.

It is relatively difficult to find what you're looking for in the scrolling guide.

Edited by harsh, 03 February 2014 - 02:36 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

NBC will stream everything live on the internet, to those with qualifying satellite or cable subscriptions, except the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Even though I am a long time Dish subscriber, I am not in the right tier to qualify for internet streaming. In the past you had to subscribe to AT 250 and above. I've no reason to believe that will change, which is why I will watch everything live, including the Opening and Closing ceremonies on the BBC and/or CBC. 

#4 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Is there going to be coverage of the opening ceremony (or has it already taken place)?

EDIT:  Never mind.  Apparently it's Friday.

It is relatively difficult to find what you're looking for in the scrolling guide.

At the top of the page, there are links to the various sports. By clicking on them you can narrow down your search....

#5 OFFLINE   rajmarie

rajmarie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

NBC will stream everything live on the internet, to those with qualifying satellite or cable subscriptions, except the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Even though I am a long time Dish subscriber, I am not in the right tier to qualify for internet streaming. In the past you had to subscribe to AT 250 and above. I've no reason to believe that will change, which is why I will watch everything live, including the Opening and Closing ceremonies on the BBC and/or CBC. 

You havent mentioned your tier....but..if you have AT200..then you are in luck now. From Jan 29th onward...Dish is now having NBCSN as part of AT200 and upward. So you can watch that channel if you have AT200 or above...plus access NBC online LIVE stream as Dish is one of the participating provider. Plus...you can on to Dishanywhere.com & login to your account and nearly all ComcastNBC channels that are part of the package is available for LIVE streaming eg NBCSN, USA network, MSNBC, Golf etc.

#6 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

rajmarie, That is great news. Finally!

#7 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

this kills me.  They have 4 stations dedicated to the Olympics and because of the time difference, can do the majority of the coverage in off hours on everyone of those stations.  Yet they still won't show just about anything live.  For example, if you want to watch any of the alpine skiing, you are stuck with their crappy prime time coverage that will only show 2 or 3 skiiers.

I'll hold off comments about their live Internet streaming until I can see it.  However, if it's as bad as it was last time, it looks like I'll be watching "other" internet streams again this year.

• John Strk likes this

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Live plus a highlight fast moving from one spot to the next during primetime is the way they should do it IMHO.

#9 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

Instead of bouncing around the guide how hard would it be for Directv to add mirrors of the channels in a block of the 700's or something similar?

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Or add a mosaic channel? :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Or add a mosaic channel? :)

The flyer that was in my last bill said that there will be an "Olympics Mix Channel " on 205....Plus the "Red Button" will work on 220,242,355,356, with schedules of upcoming events and other features....Kinda like they do for the major Golf and Tennis events.

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

That's a fine feature, the mix channel. 

Looks like opening Friday at 7:30 pm PST, on my local NBC. Snowboarding apparently on the night before, same bat channel. -So if events precede the opening, do they count?? :)

Does everyone else see that their local NBC does the same, and is it the same time on East Coast? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

this kills me.  They have 4 stations dedicated to the Olympics and because of the time difference, can do the majority of the coverage in off hours on everyone of those stations.  Yet they still won't show just about anything live.  For example, if you want to watch any of the alpine skiing, you are stuck with their crappy prime time coverage that will only show 2 or 3 skiiers.

I'll hold off comments about their live Internet streaming until I can see it.  However, if it's as bad as it was last time, it looks like I'll be watching "other" internet streams again this year.

Agreed!  Very disappointed that once again none of the Alpine Skiing is live.  Guess I will be staying up late to do some online streaming.  Looks like most of the live events will be figure skating and some hockey on NBC Sports Network, which not everyone has in their basic package.  And I don't plan to upgrade to a higher package just for that channel.

Here's a good link with a complete NBC Olympic coverage for all days and networks all in one page:

NBC Olympic Coverage for 2014 Sochi Olympics: February 6-23, 2014

http://www.examiner....uary-6-23-2014 

Edited by John Strk, 05 February 2014 - 12:00 PM.

DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Is that better than the one cited in post 4?

#15 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Just did some quick checking as a live figure skating event is going on.

BBC - tv and online streaming

CBC - tv and online streaming

NBC - online streaming

So you can at least watch a live stream on NBC.  But they seem to have stuck with the same poorly designed full screen interface that they did last Olympics. A thick bar on the top and on the left and right sides which is annoying, compared to CBC and BBC who have true full screen. So once again the CBC and BBC will get most of my attention.

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

On my computer screen, there are very narrow bars down the sides. The top ca. 10% is a bar where they are putting information. Much better than crawls along the bottom. I think the presentation is excellent. 

#17 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

On my computer screen, there are very narrow bars down the sides. The top ca. 10% is a bar where they are putting information. Much better than crawls along the bottom. I think the presentation is excellent. 

When you blow it up to full screen on a 60" display it looks bad, especially compared to two other feeds that fill the screen completely.  Better than nothing, but no idea why they can't go true full screen with the content.  Well I do have an idea why.  I am guessing they will fill it with some advertising like last time. 

#18 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

SportsMix 205 has the "Red Button" Olympics Menu up and running now. You can view upcoming programing for viewing or recording....

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

When you blow it up to full screen on a 60" display it looks bad, especially compared to two other feeds that fill the screen completely.  Better than nothing, but no idea why they can't go true full screen with the content.  Well I do have an idea why.  I am guessing they will fill it with some advertising like last time. 

? Is there any stream meant for computer or iPad display that looks decent on a large TV monitor?? What do you mean by full screen? Because with differing ratios of the original HD, something has to be chopped off to get to "full screen" on your computer screen, unless it's 16:9. Is it? 

The NBC feed looked just fine on my MacBookAir. 

#20 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

If you go to the Sports Mix (ch. 205), you can see the Olympic sked, search by sport, etc.  Nice.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall