Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2014 Olympic TV schedule

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

? Is there any stream meant for computer or iPad display that looks decent on a large TV monitor?? What do you mean by full screen? Because with differing ratios of the original HD, something has to be chopped off to get to "full screen" on your computer screen, unless it's 16:9. Is it? 

The NBC feed looked just fine on my MacBookAir. 

Yes, I watch many HD streams that look good on a large TV. They fill the entire display, no black bars. The BBC and CBC HD feeds look so much better than the NBC feed. Not even debatable.

Edited by anleva, 08 February 2014 - 10:44 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,958 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

"Filling the entire display" is way down the list for many when it comes to PQ. Number of pixels and quality of said pixels are what matter. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

"Filling the entire display" is way down the list for many when it comes to PQ. Number of pixels and quality of said pixels are what matter. 

The BBC, CBC and NBC feeds are all HD, and appear to be of similar resolution. However the CBC and BBC feeds have no black bars and no advertising and at full screen fill up the screen.  I prefer that. It sounds like black bars and advertising is your thing.  To each his own.

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,958 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

Not quite my thing. It's simply that black bars have nothing to do with PQ for many people, and that some others are disturbed by their presence. So, indeed: To each his own. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#25 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

So far the streaming off the website hasn't been too bad on my laptop.  We have that hooked up to the TV via HDMI and it seems to fill the entire screen for us (except for the little blue Olympics bar at the top and a couple of very narrow black bars on the left and right).

The only thing I wish NBC would do is put links on the results/schedule page to the replays or the streams.  I keep seeing the results on the various pages when I am trying to find the page that has the links to all the streams.  Hopefully I have the right steam page booked marked now and can avoid that in the future.

I still wish NBC would show the stupid events overnight when they are actually taking place.  I'd rather DVR them and then play them back instead of having to hassle with the laptop.  I guess they are making too much money from their various Infomercials to skip them.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

There is Olympic coverage overnight ... but sports that will be broadcast in prime time are withheld from earlier airing.

Tonight (Monday morning) coverage begins at 3am until 7pm on NBC Sports Network, 5am-8am on USA, 10am-Noon on MSNBC and 5pm-8pm on CNBC. NBC local affiliates have 3pm-5pm then 8pm-4:30am (with a break for news).

Of course, if you're looking for ONE sport (such as curling) you'll have to record hours of coverage and skip other sports. They like to bounce around.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

spam firewall