Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Guess this guy REALLY doesn't like Girl Scout Cookies.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

TEMECULA , Calif., Feb. 3 (UPI) -- A California man was arrested after he allegedly pulled a gun on a Girl Scout who was going door-to-door selling cookies in Temecula. http://www.upi.com/O.../1481391451065/
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

If only the girl scout had a gun to protect herself. ;-)

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

In the 5 years that my daughter has been part of Girl Scouts and selling cookies, she has never sold a single box of cookies door to door because of our concern for something like this happening. 

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

I dont have a daughter so I cant say anything there but I cant remember the last time a girl came to my door selling.  It is usually coworkers daughters or a troop sets up a table at the grocery store.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

In my area they set up a card table and lawn chairs at a convenience store and it seems no matter how many cookies they bring they sell out in a few hours.

Boy scout Christmas wreath sale does the same thing and they do very well too.

Door to door is WAY too scary for even cops these days.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'm still waiting to hear more information on this before I jump to judgement.  I wonder if he actually pulled the gun on the girl and threatened her, or if he answered the door holding a gun because he looked out a peephole and couldn't see anyone standing there because she was too short or something like that.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm still waiting to hear more information on this before I jump to judgement.  I wonder if he actually pulled the gun on the girl and threatened her, or if he answered the door holding a gun because he looked out a peephole and couldn't see anyone standing there because she was too short or something like that.

The guy must live in a pretty bad neighborhood to answer the door with a gun in his hand. I haven't been to Temucla for several years, but it seemed like a pretty nice place the last time I was there.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#8 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Scary, but a good reason for parents not to have their kids engage in door to door selling. Having had my three kids involved in selling doughnuts, candy, Tom Watt kits and light bulbs back in the day, I understand the fundraising needs. I like several varieties of GS cookies, but at the same time am angered at the low return the scouts actually receive on a box of cookies. When it comes to fundraisers, I'm more inclined to support sales at a church or at a table in front of a store.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#9 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:16 AM

I dont have a daughter so I cant say anything there but I cant remember the last time a girl came to my door selling.  It is usually coworkers daughters or a troop sets up a table at the grocery store.

In my area they set up a card table and lawn chairs at a convenience store and it seems no matter how many cookies they bring they sell out in a few hours.

Boy scout Christmas wreath sale does the same thing and they do very well too.

Door to door is WAY too scary for even cops these days.

Girl Scouts encourages both - selling door to door and booth sales.  Pre-order sales (door to door, parents selling to co-workers, etc.) is where the girls typically earn their incentives (sell 228 boxes for a cheap plastic purse or 2014 boxes for an IPAD, etc..).  Booth sales are typically credited to the troop itself.  

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#10 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

"2014 boxes for an IPAD"

That's like $6,000 or more in sales for a sub-$500 device.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

"2014 boxes for an IPAD"

That's like $6,000 or more in sales for a sub-$500 device.

Actually it's $7,049 in sales (based on national average of $3.50 a box).   ;)

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

The Temecula Police Press Release states "When the victim knocked on the suspect's door, he opened the door and pointed a gun at her. The victim's father witnessed the incident".

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

The Temecula Police Press Release states "When the victim knocked on the suspect's door, he opened the door and pointed a gun at her. The victim's father witnessed the incident".

That's still not much to go on.  He could be having issues with others threatening him, etc. that is the reason behind him answering the door with a gun. We just don't know.  It could be that as soon as he saw the little girl he put the gun away and apologized, or he could have yelled at her and threatened to shoot her.  If it's the former then it's just the media out trying to make all gun owners look crazy and all charges should be dropped, if its the latter then he does deserve to be arrested.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

That's still not much to go on.  He could be having issues with others threatening him, etc. that is the reason behind him answering the door with a gun. We just don't know.  It could be that as soon as he saw the little girl he put the gun away and apologized, or he could have yelled at her and threatened to shoot her.  If it's the former then it's just the media out trying to make all gun owners look crazy and all charges should be dropped, if its the latter then he does deserve to be arrested.

I'm pro gun and am a life member of the NRA but this guy broke one of the golden rules of gun ownership "Never aim a gun at anything you do not intend to shoot". 

• Herdfan and sigma1914 like this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

Actually it's $7,049 in sales (based on national average of $3.50 a box).   ;)

About 7% commission for a $500 device.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

I'm pro gun and am a life member of the NRA but this guy broke one of the golden rules of gun ownership "Never aim a gun at anything you do not intend to shoot".

Aimed may be a matter of opinion. But if you're going to answer your door with a gun you probably should be aware of which direction it is pointing ... always know which direction a gun is pointing.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:12 AM

That's still not much to go on. He could be having issues with others threatening him, etc. that is the reason behind him answering the door with a gun. We just don't know. It could be that as soon as he saw the little girl he put the gun away and apologized, or he could have yelled at her and threatened to shoot her. If it's the former then it's just the media out trying to make all gun owners look crazy and all charges should be dropped, if its the latter then he does deserve to be arrested.

I have no problem with gun ownership...but if I was out on the street or in the car waiting for my daughter while she was at the guy's door and he put a gun to her face and then put it away and apologized, I can't say I would be in much of a mood to accept his apology.

But then again, I guess you never know, how would he know my daughter wasn't packing, right?

Can't win either way, this is what the world has come to.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...