Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

C31 audio issues, is the unit bad?

coax optical toslink HDMI C31

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   timmythd

timmythd

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWestern Kentucky

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

Hi, new to the forum.  I did search so don't taze me if this has been discussed.  :bang

Switched to DirecTV last March and got the Genie 34/31.  Love the products, but it hasn't been without its glitches.  One of the C31's is in my bedroom where I also have a Boston Acoustic Soundbar TVee30 which only has optical as its digital input.  I got a coax to optical converter, plugged it up, and it worked fine...until I changed channels.  I got a high pitch screech ever time.  Thought my converter was a piece of junk, so for 15 bucks, I bought another brand.  Same thing.  So my thinking is that this is just a problem I'll have to live with (or get a soundbar with coax digital).

Fast forward to yesterday (for the superbowl).  I have a dedicated HT in the basement, but didn't get a third C31 for it because I only watch TV there for big occasions.  I have a "smart room" in the basement, so all it's a 10 minute job to switch the RG6s.  Plugged the C31 into my Onkyo receiver via HDMI.  Video and sound were great until........I changed channels and got the same screech when I changed channels!!!  So all of this time, I'm thinking it's all a conflict between the C31 coax/optical/soundbar, and it turns out I get the same issue over HDMI.  My other C31 is in the kitchen, but it is just an HDMI to TV connection. 

So, any experiment or fix to try?  I have the protection plan, so should I try to procure a 41?  Don't know the firmware versions yet, but can report back later on those if needed.

Thanks!!! :righton:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

This does not track with my C31 at all. There was some popping sounds in the early days as the channel selection locked in but those have been gone a long time. I am curious however. Do you run power line adapters for your home networking? is your HR34 plugged into a phone line that is DSL without using a DSL filter?

Forgive me if the questions seem demeaning, they are simply the first things that popped into my head as "modem" tones sound like such. Digital sound mismatch is normally an obnoxiously loud static.

I take it this noise is present as channel changes occur but falls away when tuner is locked in on programming?

Don "perhaps I am being stupid but hey somebody has to" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#3 OFFLINE   timmythd

timmythd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

This does not track with my C31 at all. There was some popping sounds in the early days as the channel selection locked in but those have been gone a long time. I am curious however. Do you run power line adapters for your home networking? is your HR34 plugged into a phone line that is DSL without using a DSL filter?

Forgive me if the questions seem demeaning, they are simply the first things that popped into my head as "modem" tones sound like such. Digital sound mismatch is normally an obnoxiously loud static.

I take it this noise is present as channel changes occur but falls away when tuner is locked in on programming?

Don "perhaps I am being stupid but hey somebody has to" Bolton

Don, thanks for the response!  No, not demeaning at all!  :righton:  Just looking for some "higher" high tech advice to bounce ideas off of!  Thanks!

As far as "powered" lines go, the only thing I have out of the "norm" is that I have an AM21n with an amplified antenna.  I'm 60 miles north of my largest city, but I'm not in their DMA, so I DirecTV won't give them to me, and our immediate locals aren't carried by DirecTV. 

I have TWC phone/internet :flaiming  and the SWM is has a DECA between/into the router.  

The sound is like a painful "beep" or "screech" (sort of like a smoke detector when the battery goes low, but not THAT loud).  It blew me away when the same thing happened with the HDMI into an Onkyo, that's why I started to wonder if that particular C31 is faulty (or the power brick)???  When running the C31 straight to the TV using HDMI and using the TV volume, there is no screech whatsoever.   And I've never once heard a screech from my primary TV (Sony TV and Amp), or the other C31.  I would think if there was overcooking a line, I'd experience the effect on the other sets.

#4 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Not sure how the grounding and how the DC flow works if the plug is reversed. The external power supplies do not feature a polarized plug as I recall. You might try unplugging it and turning it over and see if that clears it. In the old days doing that would literally reverse polarity. Used to have to do that to reduce line noise in my old guitar amps:-) My have nothing to do with today's electronics.

You might swap the power supplies between the 2 C31s and see if this follows. I'm focused on the PS as the noise only seems to introduce when you introduce an AVR into the mix which implies grounding to me (and I'm no EE so take it with a grain of sand) :) 

Also check the set up data on your AVRs input you are using and see if it has a default set to DTS instead of auto. It could be attempting handshaking with the wrong sound codec at first.

After that I'm at a loss for ideas other than replace the unit. As far as I can tell the C41 is the same hardware but it is based on the new RC71 remote (different RF range).

Don "my advice is perhaps worth less than the price paid but hope it helps" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Someone else with a sound bar recently noted the pop sound with an HR24:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ar#entry3224654

Your testing answers a lot of questions about where the problem lies and more importantly, where it doesn't lie.

A suggestion was made somewhere to make sure that PCM is the digital encoding format.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   timmythd

timmythd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Tried another experiment last night.  Went into the audio setup and toggled the Dolby Digital off and on. 

Went turning DD ON the screech occurs.  I have no way to configure the soundbar settings, but seems to be processing the DD signal just fine (it is a 3.1 bar) and there is clearly a better defined center. 

Based on this, I would have thought the problem was a handshake issue with the soundbar as mentioned above, but replicating it with HDMI to a Dolby Digital receiver yeilded the same. 

My next experiment will be to take my other C31 and see if it does the same.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...