Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 wireless extension

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   billt1111

billt1111

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

I just got told by Directv customer service that this was not possible and I don't believe them so I decided to try here. I apologize for not trying to find this exact configuration anywhere before just asking, hoping someone could just give me a yes or no to start.

I have 3 HD DVRs, 1 HR34 and 2 HR24s in 3 different rooms.  They all have direct satellite coax connections.  They all  have ethernet connections to my FIOS wireless router.  Everything works great and the HD DVRs all  network together to view each other's playlists.  In addition, I have a strong wireless N signal from my FIOS wireless router throughout the house.

I want to add a 4th flat screen in an exercise room where I do not have an ethernet cable or a satellite cable and don't want to pull one.  I don't care if I just 'extend' what is being veiwed in another room, or if I actually put another receiver in this spare room. I would hope that there is a way I can connect something to my 4th room flat screen and wirelessly connect back to one of the other DVR outputs, or to the satellite feed if it is another DVR.  Directv says this is not possible, and that it is in 'beta'. 

Can anyone explain what my options are?  There must be a diagram or white paper somewhere that lays out how to connect this and what products I need?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

Edited by billt1111, 03 February 2014 - 05:21 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

You need a wireless Mini Genie C41W-500. I had one installed last week and it is awesome! They are only available in some markets right now, Denver being one. I am sure someone will chime in and list the rest.

#3 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

http://forums.solids...ss-Genie-Client

Here is a video.  

#4 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

If you can't get a C41W yet there is a work-around using a C41 or C31 connecting wirelessly via a Wireless Cinema Connection Kit.

First you'd need a good 802.11n signal available from your wireless access point.

The C41 or C31 simply connects via coax to the WCCK which provides the wireless interface to a Genie via your router.

Of course you need a client on your account for the usual monthly fee.

This setup, first suggested by Stuart works very well for me, even better than a C41W. 

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,172 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

If you can't get a C41W yet there is a work-around using a C41 or C31 connecting wirelessly via a Wireless Cinema Connection Kit.

First you'd need a good 802.11n signal available from your wireless access point.

The C41 or C31 simply connects via coax to the WCCK which provides the wireless interface to a Genie via your router.

This setup, first suggested by Stuart works very well for me, even better than a C41W. 

While this set "should" work, we must say, YMMV and is not supported by DirecTV 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

While this set "should" work, we must say, YMMV and is not supported by DirecTV 

Yep, works quite well and sorry, I forgot to say anything about the unsupported and YMMV part. 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#7 OFFLINE   gator1234

gator1234

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

When the C41 wireless unit is available will it work with the Wireless Cinema Connection Kit?  I have one of those from a previous installation and I see with the C41 wireless client you need a Wireless Video Bridge.  Will the WCCK serve as the Video Bridge?

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

No the WCCK and WVB are two completely different pieces of equipment.  In the future they might be included into one device, but not as of right now as far as we know.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,172 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

No the WCCK and WVB are two completely different pieces of equipment.  In the future they might be included into one device, but not as of right now as far as we know.

I think is possible right now to use the CCK-W as a WVB if DirecTV wanted to.  if you look at the CCK-W, it has an LED labeled AP (access point?) Perhaps DirecTV decided to built a different unit just to prevent confusion from their techs

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

Oh that is a different animal.  not quite the same as a wvb.

That is not to say you cant make it work but its not the same.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,172 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Oh that is a different animal.  not quite the same as a wvb.

That is not to say you cant make it work but its not the same.

a WVB is just an "access point"  the CCK-W can be "converted" to same if DirecTV made a software for it, I think

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   billt1111

billt1111

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. They are very helpful.

My options are to wait for the C41W or go with the wildcat option so this is interesting.  If I call the sales department will they sell me a C41 and a WCCK?  I am thinking they will ask what it is for, and when I tell them they will argue with me that it is not supported.  That has happened more than once over my 15 years at Directv. 

Also, how exactly does the WCCK connect wirelessly through my wireless router to my HR34 Genie?  Is this an automatic connection?  I don't see a way to configure it and am not exactly sure what would appear on the screen of the new monitor when I do.  Is it a 'clone' of the HR34 screen?  Or can I control the channel tuning like a completely separate receiver, independently of the HR34?

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,172 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

you can use the HR34 to configure the CCK-W to your wireless network. Once configured, you move it to the C31/41 and then tat client would act as an "independent" client no different as if the client was connected wired

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

You know I can't even tell you how to set up a WCCK as I only ever did it once years ago and can't remember how it was done.

But the good news is that I haven't had to mess with since the initial configuration as it has had zero problems. 

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Just wait for the c41w. It'd be much easier and cleaner to donut that way plus I think not will run at a higher freq with less interference unless you have a 5 band wifi router already.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,172 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

Just wait for the c41w. It'd be much easier and cleaner to donut that way plus I think not will run at a higher freq with less interference unless you have a 5 band wifi router already.

If the OP likes to gamble, this will be a good hand to play.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,326 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

The WCCK can be ordered from the website for around $30.  If you have a 5Ghz wireless, it should work fine within signal limits.

The WVB is a closed system (read un-programmable) that creates it's own link to the C41W.  It won't be affected by other wireless from your router.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

If the OP likes to gamble, this will be a good hand to play.

I tested using a DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit to make a regular c31 work wireless using my own router. It worked.

With that said I'd wait.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,172 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

and I am not saying otherwise.  but for sure, YMMV

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall